Print Thread
Hop To
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Looking to add another boat for duck hunting and I don’t know what to get as I don’t have much experience with big water. I’ll be hunting by myself most of the time and sometimes bring along 2 buddies, occasionally 3. This boat is going to be used on lakes and public marshes, but my primary reason is to run bigger water that my current 1436 can’t handle, such as the Ohio River (approx 1/2mile wide) and some rivers in ENC that can be up to 4 miles wide in places.

Anyways, is a Mod-V 1860 with a 40HP surface drive too small for what I want to do? Primarily concerned about safety on the rivers if the wind would kick up unexpectedly and getting up on plane with a full load. I’m willing to go up to a 2070 as well though it seems like a boat that size will require an outboard. I believe an outboard would be capable in most situations I’d find myself in, but think the versatility of the SD would be great to have should I need it. Opinions?

Last edited by JJWise; 11/20/20.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I can’t directly answer your question but I can say my experience is go bigger. If you think you need a 16’ get a twenty foot.
My 16’ waterfowler is perfect for me, the dog, dekes.
I hunt it with my brother and it gets tight. IDK how guys hunt three out of it.

It’s kind of like tents. A two man is a perfect solo. A 3 msm is good for two.

That’s been my experience.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It really has to do with your experience and how you look at things.

I've run the same 1436 since 1976 in the 90's I modified it so it could go anywhere for me. I used it on large central WA reservoirs, major rivers and Pacific ocean estuaries. It is a one man rig. I'm also willing to spend the night out. I've hunted a lot of the same waters in a square stern canoe but I grew up in a canoe.

1436 Alumacraft decked over it can take a wave over the deck and not swamp, a large bilge pump will drain the center cockpit in a few min. It is patterned after Zack Taylors Zackbox that he hunted the east coast estuaries with.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

If I were looking for a big water duck boat, this is what I'd look at

https://www.tdbco.com/tdb-17-seaclass

Last edited by erich; 11/23/20.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
First of all, if you want to shoot ducks, I'd stay on the Ohio. It's been a few years since I messed around on the sounds and that's because it has been very poor for quite a while. I no longer have the appetite for the effort/reward ratio that currently exists. You may know more than I did and it may be worth it to you. Secondly, If you get caught by a front out on the Pamlico or Neuse, ain't nothin' going to be big enough. Thirdly, and you probably already know this, don't even think about crossing either of those rivers; put in on whatever side you are going to hunt.

I know nothing about surface drive motors, just that I almost never see one.

Are you going to hunt out of it or use it to get to a blind? Be aware, if you are not already, of the idiotic laws regarding hunting the marshes which fringe the sounds.

A 19' Carolina Skiff-type boat would be a minimum I would say. 90HP +/-. A mod-V like a Privateer would be more comfortable and probably safer.

You owe me $.02, LOL.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just some random thoughts. When I started duck hunting(1956), the weather report pretty much told you what was happening outside, not much better than a "Weather Rock".

Now I can pull up numerous weather sites and know the wind direction and speed for the next 14 days, I can plan a hunt decide which area will be better hunting , what landing will make the area easiest to get to my hunting area. Public lands maps are available so I can hunt out of the way places that big weather will blow the ducks into.

Right now the big reservoir I want to hunt is closed due to covid-19(the landing and access is in the state park) so now I watch the weather to hunt walk-in areas where the ducks will be during a big blow and I don't have to venture out on the lake.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I’m really leaning toward the larger boat/ outboard route. Sounds like that’s what I need if I want to hunt the bigger water, and I still have my jon boat and longtail if I need to go shallow

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve had Gatortrax 1850, 1754, and 1654HD (17.5’) models that would do all you want and more. I’ve had them all out in the bigger part of the TN river where the wind can funnel against the current, and stack 4-footers, 2-4’ apart in a blow, and barge wakes between mountains can throw you up on the bank. I’ve had them inshore saltwater, and never felt unsafe in any sane fishing or hunting weather. They’re fast enough when paired with the right surface drive, can also run an outboard great, FAR better in shallow water, have more room than a conventional ribbed hull, FAR tougher than ribbed designs and won’t hook and slow you down, turn far better than a regular aluminum flat hull, are more stable, generally have better capacity ratings, and are far more customizable. Hunt deck versions keep all your backwash down, and give hunters and dogs easy exits. 1/8” or thicker 5052 throughout means it’s a lifetime boat. CS is second to none, and they’ve got a good dealer network throughout the country. If buying a new big water/shallow hunting aluminum boat, I haven’t seen anything I’d personally pick over them.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 11/28/20.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As TYG said above, there is nothing large enough if you catch weather on the Pamlico or similar bodies in ENC. I spent the last 17 years hunting and fishing ENC and have found myself in some less than ideal situations. One being in a 24” Scout in the Pamlico and it still sucked.

I would look at a 18’ + Privateer or maybe a Parker. A skiff is great but it’s usually a wet ride. Your other boat should suffice for smaller water and this could check the box for larger. I would still pay very close attention to the weather and don’t hunt alone.

Last edited by JSmith62198; 12/02/20.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We hunted out of a 1860 war eagle with 40 outboard a lot on the tennessee river in north alabama, It got the job done but I definitely wouldn't go any smaller.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nothing this boat can't handle yet still able to get into somewhat skinny water as well.

https://duckwaterboats.com/boats/ocean/ocean-18/

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by killerv
We hunted out of a 1860 war eagle with 40 outboard a lot on the tennessee river in north alabama, It got the job done but I definitely wouldn't go any smaller.

Well, that’s much more (and less) boat than is needed for that area....to just duck hunt safely in all weather. They’re popular and they work, but they just don’t do stumps, shallows, all the weeds, and shell beds too well, or hide.

OP has to decide if he wants a camo fishing boat to duck hunt in, or a duck boat/shallow water boat, that is suitable for big water and fishing or other stuff. All duck boats and shallow water hulls hold up great for fishing. Fishing hulls sometimes aren’t the best for all around duck hunting. Either can be as safe as the other in weather and big water.

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Nothing this boat can't handle yet still able to get into somewhat skinny water as well.

I’ve looked at the duck water boats hard, but they just seem crazy expensive. If I remember right most of their models are pushing $30K before even adding a motor and trailer. I’m looking for total package in the $25-30K range

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JJWise
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I’ve looked at the duck water boats hard, but they just seem crazy expensive. If I remember right most of their models are pushing $30K before even adding a motor and trailer. I’m looking for total package in the $25-30K range

You can get into the Ocean 17 for $30K or the Bluewater 19 for $30K, The ocean 18 for slightly more.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 12/02/20.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Option two is a 20' Lund Alaskan. But it is a far cry from a Duckwater.

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up buying an Excel 1960 Stalker with a 90hp Suzuki. Had it out on the rivers yesterday and it runs great

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on your new boat. I found the thread too late to comment, but my former boat (Lowe 2070 CC Roughneck with 90 HP Suzuki) handled the Pamlico fine but I stayed away from any day with a front. Shoot 'em up!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
440 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 37 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.