24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Saw a bunch of deer yesterday, including three bucks, but no shots were offered. I’m laboring under an Earn-a-Buck situation anyway. Heard a lot of shots, and met a four-person family group at the parking lot who had taken two bucks and a button buck. Don’t know about any others being taken, didn’t see any signs of dragging on my way out. Everyone seemed to be concentrated on the sections with easy walking. I saw no one else at all until I came out, except one flashlight ahead of me going in.

Gotta get a bumblehead down so I can look for another buck. Going every other day, more or less, to give my old bones a rest between trips.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put one down first morning, smallish 8. My youngest son killed a nice 8 this morning. I'll post a picture when I get motivated enough to do so, lol.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

9er Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Our group of guys have been having a slow start. Not seeing much movement right now

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have several cousins that own property and Farms, who always buy Orchard permits...

one cousin's orchard is 5 Apple Trees....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good luck wv guys. PA opening Saturday

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Saw a bunch of deer yesterday, including three bucks, but no shots were offered. I’m laboring under an Earn-a-Buck situation anyway. Heard a lot of shots, and met a four-person family group at the parking lot who had taken two bucks and a button buck. Don’t know about any others being taken, didn’t see any signs of dragging on my way out. Everyone seemed to be concentrated on the sections with easy walking. I saw no one else at all until I came out, except one flashlight ahead of me going in.

Gotta get a bumblehead down so I can look for another buck. Going every other day, more or less, to give my old bones a rest between trips.

Tell me about "Earn-a-Buck"?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In select counties, including mine, you must kill an antlerless deer before you take a second buck. Applies across weapons choice, so since I took a buck with my crossbow a couple of weeks ago, I have to shoot a baldie before another buck with a rifle, ML, or crossbow. Three bucks max per season, again across weapons choice. If you hunt the Mountaineer Heritage season in January, the three buck limit from the fall seasons carries over, even though you’re on a new license (unless you have a lifetime geezer license like me).

In neighboring Clarke County, VA, you have to kill two baldies if you hunt private land. Both my son and grandson are doe hunters for the present, even if Big Hank shows. He showed like that for me in 2016, dang him!

No biggie for me. Big ones are rare on public land here. A doe will fill my freezer and free me to look for a decent buck without any meat “pressure”, or to chase some small game.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
In select counties, including mine, you must kill an antlerless deer before you take a second buck. Applies across weapons choice, so since I took a buck with my crossbow a couple of weeks ago, I have to shoot a baldie before another buck with a rifle, ML, or crossbow. Three bucks max per season, again across weapons choice. If you hunt the Mountaineer Heritage season in January, the three buck limit from the fall seasons carries over, even though you’re on a new license (unless you have a lifetime geezer license like me).

In neighboring Clarke County, VA, you have to kill two baldies if you hunt private land. Both my son and grandson are doe hunters for the present, even if Big Hank shows. He showed like that for me in 2016, dang him!

No biggie for me. Big ones are rare on public land here. A doe will fill my freezer and free me to look for a decent buck without any meat “pressure”, or to chase some small game.

Gotcha. Man, that would drive me crazy.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I hunted Lewis Co. last week. Saw a nice 6 or 8 point (brushy) Monday morning and a spike Wed. morning. I saw a few does but didn't offer a good shot. It was slow with few deer sightings. Lots of white acorns so they didn't have to travel. They ignored the corn at the feeders.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Took a total newbie out Friday. Don't think he’ll be back as he was bored out of his skull. It was even slow for bird and squirrel watching that afternoon. He’s a big guy, and didn’t bring anything to sit on, so he was constantly shifting around trying to get comfortable. I could clearly hear his movements from 50 yards away over the sounds from the river at our backs. He’s not a “rifle guy” or a nature lover, and knows nothing about deer, but wanted to give it a try of sorts.

Ain’t for everybody, I guess.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
397 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.