J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Our son actually brings it up to us.

Does he have any ideas? What're his thoughts on the matter?

He honestly has more of the Red Dawn type scenario playing on his mind.
I've told him it's more like a lobster pot deal to me.
He IS doing things to become more self sufficient as he is a welder first, machinist second and married into a 10th generation sustenance farming family that farms deep in the mountains just along the VA/WVA border.
He makes some things he feels will be quite valuable in the near future. wink

Sounds like a neat bunch!

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 11/24/20.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes in very sobering and descriptive detail. All my girls were lucky enough to spend many years with their Paternal Great Grandmother alive who shared many stories with them about life during WWII including giving birth to their Grandfather, my Dad in an Army Medical Hospital MASH type tent.

All of them grewup watching old Westerns on TV with me early Saturday morning and afternoon War movies. Explaining to them real vs TV frontier life including the brutality of War.

As well each of them took AP History from a very conservative Catholic High School teacher who was part of the National AP History Board that sets National Standards. I read their Text book and supplements with them and was very impressed at the level of detail and time they spent on the American Civil War.

Still like War you can't "know" what it will be like until you live it.

At least all of them dont have a problem pulling the trigger on an animal, cleaning, processing and eating their kills.

I've done what I could even though they weren't "Country" raised.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
They are Jim,
they still tap maples, keep 1-2 dairy cows for their consumption along with chickens and a hog or two, beef farm for cash.
4-5 families[cousins/siblings etc] all live there, they have family canning, butchering, applesauce days and other stuff like that I'm sure.
One family home schools for all.
Still live to a degree like their ancestors did.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Question to those on here with kids. Especially minors, or teenagers. I'll kindly request the responses be limited to legit posters, not trolls, and US citizens. I understand the impact our elections have globally, most especially on our good friends north of us. But my question is specific to those of us here south of the Medicine Line.

Have you discussed the potential of a civil war with your kids? The reality of it, the Balkan type scenario as opposed to the clear cut Red Dawn type. What it could entail, what it really means? What life would be like? At what line is civil disobedience appropriate, and at what line (if any) is an armed response apropos?

It's fugking terrifying, but I will say I have.
My youngest son is fifteen and I've spoken with him about it. He's already a big Trump supporter. I told him the other day that I was sorry I hadn't done more to leave him a country more in line with what the founders envisioned. Then again my ancestors failed to keep the Yankees at bay, hence the move of much of the family west out of the South-proper.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Well, yes, to a certain extent but more along theoretical lines. When the question has come up I've told my kids that the issues that may occur will most likely start in the cities and .guv will be too busy trying to contain that and not have the time/resources to be much of a threat out in flyover country. The bigger issue I see coming from all this is the economy crashing and the knock on effects that will have. Whether that would bring on a "civil war" or not is hard to tell. As to the divisiveness between right vs left ie. the balkanization of the country, at least at this point, I don't see it as two major fronts clashing. Because of the size of the country and spread of people and even the provincial attitude from region to region, state to state etc. what ever clashes that would occur are going to be local in nature and dealt with accordingly.

The future for the utes of America is going to be a challenge and having an adaptable mindset is going to be a major tool in the kit. Unfortunately, not a lot of people today have a clue of what the difference between pain and suffering is, or the difference between their needs vs wants.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by keith
Where I shoot IDPA, parents bring a lot of children to shoot, and they are usually darn good shots. Nothing is said about about the kids being prepped for anything other than How to defend themselves and families from bad guys.
The Democrats are nothing if not bad guys.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
They are Jim,
they still tap maples, keep 1-2 dairy cows for their consumption along with chickens and a hog or two, beef farm for cash.
4-5 families[cousins/siblings etc] all live there, they have family canning, butchering, applesauce days and other stuff like that I'm sure.
One family home schools for all.
Still live to a degree like their ancestors did.

We do that stuff too.....just not many of us left up here.

I would love to meet em someday!

We are gonna butcher some more rabbits this weekend.....

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A lot of kids from what I've heard, are either clueless or think they can hunker down with parents and ride it out.

Not a one, has said the should arm up and be part of the fight.

All in denial or think defensive, last ditch kinda thing.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/24/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Never been in combat, so I'm definitely no expert. But it seems to me that the only thing that can prepare a man for something like combat is combat.

Too simplistic. That's why I referenced Red Dawn. We won't see the Soviets making parachute landings in CO. It's not as "easy" as hoarding MRE's and ammo and making caches in the woods.
There's a part in the original Red Dawn where Swayze and his buds come across the old rancher played by Ben Johnson, a guy from just south of where I live. He's a prepper/survivalist in that he lives out in the middle of nowhere and has all he needs. His needs are simple. Later the Russians just pick him and his wife up and shoot them. Goes to show how all a person's planning and prepping can come to nothing. The isolation route probably ain't gonna work.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never been in combat, so I'm definitely no expert. But it seems to me that the only thing that can prepare a man for something like combat is combat.

Too simplistic. That's why I referenced Red Dawn. We won't see the Soviets making parachute landings in CO. It's not as "easy" as hoarding MRE's and ammo and making caches in the woods.

What's too simplistic?

Did you prepare for sex before it happened?

There are many things that occur in younger days that teach people the framework of combat. If you survive round 1, you are likely prepared for the next. Learning to hunt helps get one thru round 1 quite a bit.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
E.B. Sledge talks about being a green Marine landing on Peleliu,...said his first kill bothered him pretty bad. By the time he had been there 30 days he said he would have no qualms about choking the enemy to death with his hands.

I don't think there's any preparation for it. Marine boot camp probably prepares a man as much as is possible. But even Marine boot camp doesn't put their mind where it needs to be.

As for prep? How can you prep for something that you have no insight on what's going to happen?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Im more worried about Biden and his lackies starting a war in some other country and then trying to draft my sons...They are both teens now. I can't stand behind an illegitimately elected President wanting to send my sons off to war...

A civil war here would be disastrous; especially, for those with children...I could see people poisoning the water and food supplies of these big cities, burning, torture, rape, etc...People are brutal these days and have no sense of civility or respect for their fellow man.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I didn't realize Montana is such a welfare state. I'm surprised that's even worse than New Mexico.

Link

[Linked Image from gannett-cdn.com]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've not discussed this with our kids.

We live in a very conservative area in a very conservative state. I'd think a civil war would become much more obvious in other parts of the country than it would here and the arguments for and/or against it would be a bit more easily seen at that time. There would be a lot of "fuss" at the state and local government levels here against a federal push before the need would arise. This would again, I hope, make the arguments self explanatory.....

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Well, yes, to a certain extent but more along theoretical lines. When the question has come up I've told my kids that the issues that may occur will most likely start in the cities and .guv will be too busy trying to contain that and not have the time/resources to be much of a threat out in flyover country. The bigger issue I see coming from all this is the economy crashing and the knock on effects that will have. Whether that would bring on a "civil war" or not is hard to tell. As to the divisiveness between right vs left ie. the balkanization of the country, at least at this point, I don't see it as two major fronts clashing. Because of the size of the country and spread of people and even the provincial attitude from region to region, state to state etc. what ever clashes that would occur are going to be local in nature and dealt with accordingly.

The future for the utes of America is going to be a challenge and having an adaptable mindset is going to be a major tool in the kit. Unfortunately, not a lot of people today have a clue of what the difference between pain and suffering is, or the difference between their needs vs wants.

Largely my perception as well. Though with the caveat on the national level I think it IS two major fronts, though at the regional, state, and local levels not so much.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I guess I should've clarified in that by "civil war" I didn't mean just the act of grabbing a rifle and going loading mags. What I was speaking to was the totality, economy, taxes, etc. all turned on it's head leading to a potential situation where a large number of Americans make the decision to go hot and what that means. Food production, parts and repairs for equipment, etc etc etc.

That's why I referred to a Red Dawn scenario as simplistic. It's not going to be a one day life is as we know it, next day the Cubans are erecting concentration camps.

MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Lobster or crab or frog pot

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I didn't realize Montana is such a welfare state. I'm surprised that's even worse than New Mexico.

Link

Beto

MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Link

Its called federal public lands and Indian reservations, not a bunch of white trash hanging out at the HUD/HHS office.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't know whether it will break out or not. My opinion is,..the federal government will stomp down anything that starts to look like a civil war. I think it's much more likely that the country experiences widespread small scale insurgencies.

Also,..depending on where they're located, I think some leftists will find that their life gets complicated,...just like some people on the right have had their lives complicated by the leftists.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,866
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.