Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
if you have an electric coil or gas stove you're good. if it's a glass top it won't work.
A glass top stove works just fine. We've done a bunch of them on one.

I've never owned one but everywhere I've read and heard they don't work because of the way the elements heat and they don't stay consistent. good to know they can work. I stand corrected.

I can deer meat as well a other stuff on a glass top stove. Not sure where you all are getting your info. Works fine for me.

I only put a pinch of canning salt in the jar, then jam pack raw venison into the jar getting rid of all air bubbles. Pack them as tight as I can leaving room at the top. Pressure can per instructions. The pressure cooking brings out more intense flavors then other cooking methods so just a touch of salt is all thats really needed.

My favorite way to prepare canned venison is to use one of these packets.

https://www.germangrocerystore.com/...Nxf3a7AIVj8DACh2pNAUoEAYYASABEgKnFPD_BwE

Plus some water as the packet will thicken it up quite a bit and add some frozen peas.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
if anyone is interested in canning, get the Ball Blue Book of Canning. it tells you how to do everything. their venison recipe is right on.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scoony
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
if you have an electric coil or gas stove you're good. if it's a glass top it won't work.
A glass top stove works just fine. We've done a bunch of them on one.

I've never owned one but everywhere I've read and heard they don't work because of the way the elements heat and they don't stay consistent. good to know they can work. I stand corrected.

I can deer meat as well a other stuff on a glass top stove. Not sure where you all are getting your info. Works fine for me.

I only put a pinch of canning salt in the jar, then jam pack raw venison into the jar getting rid of all air bubbles. Pack them as tight as I can leaving room at the top. Pressure can per instructions. The pressure cooking brings out more intense flavors then other cooking methods so just a touch of salt is all thats really needed.

My favorite way to prepare canned venison is to use one of these packets.

https://www.germangrocerystore.com/...Nxf3a7AIVj8DACh2pNAUoEAYYASABEgKnFPD_BwE

Plus some water as the packet will thicken it up quite a bit and add some frozen peas.

there are lots of articles online of why you shouldn't can on a glasstop stove, it's not something we just pulled out of our asses. if it works for you, great. no reason to keep beating that horse. it is often recommended against though for several reasons.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tag

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Tag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How we do it.

I trim all silver and connecting tissue and cube the meat.. Add 2 or 3 green onions, 3 or 4 garlic cloves and some canning salt. No fluid in the jars. All cuts of the deer work well except backstrap, those are too special. We use pint wide mouths for just the two of us and you can always open two. Follow Colorado 1135's method

If you never ate canned deer you are in for a real treat and I'm betting you will want to take more deer once you do. Stroganoff is our favorite.

As said above, some jars look unappetizing, but trust us, it's fantastic.

Lots of things you can add and the bacon idea sounds good, but simple is a good way so you can make just about anything without need to specialize.

Great thread.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a question on canned whitetail vs muley. Any noted difference from those that do both?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope no difference between mule deer, WT, elk or bison. Seriously you could tell anyone whatever you want and there's no way to know. It all comes out awesome. Maybe the thickness of the strands of meat but even that is subjective to what cut you use when you can

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

there are lots of articles online of why you shouldn't can on a glasstop stove, it's not something we just pulled out of our asses. if it works for you, great. no reason to keep beating that horse. it is often recommended against though for several reasons.

Thank you! Interesting stuff here! Just one attempt and I found that:

https://foodinjars.com/blog/canning-101-can-safely-can-glass-top-stove/

Elmer Keith
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Tag

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As for the glass top stove, you have to check the manufacture. My stove has a rapid boil feature that will not cycle off. My canner has a flat bottom. And you can't be dragging the canner across the surface. I have never had an issue canning on my stove. Even made canned minced meat pie filling one year with venison.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great thread, thanks.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We can ours in the oven. 5 hours on 250 and let the oven cool down before taking them out.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I can a lot of meat. Very similar to most others here, I use about 1/2 a bullion cube or the same amount of granular bullion. I also add tomato sauce to some of the batches. It makes a good sauce but I don't do it to all of them. I used to brown it first and that is good, but was too much work for large batches.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I agree with the comments on wide mouth jars, jar tongs are great too. I've canned on glass top electric and it took for ever to get to temo/pressure. Gas is much better imo. We follow instructions from the ball blue book. They do a nice job in the book of explaining the possible problems and explaining how it works, why it works etc. We use canning salt and not much more, sometimes a little diced oniin and green pepper. [/quote]
1tsp of canning salt. 1 tsp minced garlic per pint. 10/11 lbs for 100 minutes at sea level

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yes you one could can on a glasstop stove but its far from ideal as its slow and i find it to be inconsistant in heating and cycles. In other words its not optimum and maybe some glasstops arent suitable across the board but ive dobe it on ours.

The best setup is the Camp Chef gas stoves an All American can er and that Ball Book of Canning and some tongs and an wooden table on the patio. Makes fore a great setup and i love the simplicity of the All American canner.

I agree with what was said about the chunks of meat looking like dogfood and it does. But man does that canned meat tastebgood and its basically a blank slate for quick and easy meals. My dad shot a whitetail this season and i cut off steaks and canned the rest the next day. Canned an entire moose once as well. Its just an great way to preserve food if done and stored properly. This is an outstanding topic but if you want to be into canning you need the Ball book.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fantastic and helpful thread!!
Thanks guys!!

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Hi. So here's our basic process:

1. Cut off as much silver meat/ligament and fat as possible. (This is more important with deer, as it can be more "gamey").
2. Pack the bottles as tight as you can. The size of the pieces really doesn't matter.
3. Fill with water to fill air holes, per the Ball canning book. We also use a knife to slide down the sides and give the air a path to escape.
4. We put 1/2 teaspoon of non-iodine salt in there, and a layer of onions on top.

This is truly an excellent eat, any way you use it. It's great in a sandwich, but cook off the juices in a pot don't drain them. We will put it in enchiladas, soups, etc. It's great stuff. This picture is of the batch of elk we did yesterday. This is at the point that it's ready for the lid and then into the canner. A camp chef is the preferred burner, but we'll use our gas stove if it's really cold out the day we need to process.[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 46 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.