Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I Just bought A Remington 1100 LT 20 gauge 2 3/4 with a 28 Inch Plain Barrel with full chock (fixed choke )from a local Pawn shop in Great shape.
I have never had one of these ,I would appreciate some info on these guns.

How do I tell what year it was made ?It has the pistol grip cap that Has a white spacer and White diamond on the cap itself.
Serial Number on the reciever Starts with an M then numbers and ends with a K

Decent shotgun ,reliable with Buckshot?
Which 20 gauge Buckshot produces the least reoil ?

I am wanting to Find a cheap synthetic buttstock and forearm to not only keep from getting any scratches on them plus to shorten the length of pull for my wife Probably about 11 -12 LOP with Good recoil pad.Suggestions?

Also wanting to to find a cheap barrel for it so I can cut it to 20 inches to make it easier for my wife to use in a Home defense situation.I dont care if the Barrel has scratches on it or even if it has no bluing !
Just looking for a cheap barrel to cut down. Suggestions ?

I am Also wanting to
put a Choate Magazine on it to end up with a reliable Semi auto ,with decent capacity that is short and light for my wife.that I can easily change back to its original Condition in case I ever decide to sell it.

Thanks

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Remington stamps an assembly code on the left side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver.

The first letter will be one of the following 12, running from B=January thru X=December, followed by a letter that will identify the year. Shotgun barrels are a less reliable source of assembly date than on rifles, as they can easily be changed, but most aren't.

B-L-A-C-K-P-O-W-D-E-R-X

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Good read.

Remington 1100

Michael

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks Guys,Seems as though Mine was Made in August 1970 according to the Barrel Code OF W and T

Last edited by bcraig; 10/28/20.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
They article in the link I posted above says Remington introduce the LT-20 skeet version in 1977 and field grade in 1978. I does not say when they stopped making plain barrels, but it was sometime in the mid 80's if I remember correctly.

Michael

IC B2

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mag410
They article in the link I posted above says Remington introduce the LT-20 skeet version in 1977 and field grade in 1978. I does not say when they stopped making plain barrels, but it was sometime in the mid 80's if I remember correctly.

Michael

I cross-referenced these https://www.petersenshunting.com/ed...n-model-1100-autoloading-shotguns/272354

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic

http://guncollectionsonline.com/remington1100.htm

I was just looking at the Barrel Code and W being August for the Month And T being 1970
Tomorrow I am going to try to find out when the white diamond grip cap was used on the Remington 1100 20 Gauge LT
And try to find out other identifiers to what I have.

Thanks

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I
Originally Posted by mag410

Michael

The only thing I have been able to find is that it has a sculptured ejection port and a Long Barrel tang which indicates as you said starting in 1978
But It is confusing as the Barrel code shows that it was made in August 1970 and the Long tang versions did not start till 1978 !!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got one that I acquired from a relative in trade as partial payment for a travel trailer. It had really been abused, but the metal was good, blueing faded somewhat but not bad, fixed choke, vent rib. The magazine follower was swollen and frozen to the inside of the magazine tube, so too some doing to get that out and replaced. Forearm had multiple small splits. The stock was another story, It looked like it had been cut off too short, then a too small 3/8" black spacer installed then a recoil pad,

I stripped it down, put a stainless mag follower in, got a new forearm and stock, along with a barrel that takes choke tubes, and installed a Timney adjustable trigger sear, ( did that to my old 12ga 1100 at the same time.

Nice gun, smaller, lighter weight, and quicker handling than the 20 ga on the full size frame.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
The one I have is in very good shape.
I took the magazine plug out of it to increase capacity and found another cheap barrel for it that I am going to take a hacksaw to and cut it to 18,5 inches for the wife to use as a Home Defense Shotgun.
Just as soon as I can find some decent priced 2 3/4 inch buckshot !!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
IIRC the LT was post '77 and they all had the diamond grip cap (wood field models).
Small fram 1100 before the LT was the LW. Short tang.
Guys have made LW bbls by shortening the tang on LT bbls.

One of the joys of Remington, easy bbl swap, if not orig, who knows what year it was made smile

K last letter looks like 1990.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/20/20.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great guns. Use a synthetic CLP in the gas system for easy cleaning. If you use a regular lube it will bake on. You may have to change the O-ring, but otherwise sweet shooting guns. And they fit most people.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by grouseman
Great guns. Use a synthetic CLP in the gas system for easy cleaning. If you use a regular lube it will bake on. You may have to change the O-ring, but otherwise sweet shooting guns. And they fit most people.

Thanks,
I bought some O rings for it off of ebay

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Look at #3 buck for a 20g
Fills the space better than 00

https://ammo.com/bullet-type/3-buck

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Look at #3 buck for a 20g
Fills the space better than 00

https://ammo.com/bullet-type/3-buck

I am looking for some 20 Gauge 2 3/4 Buckshot Preferably 1 1/8 of Buckshot at Less than 1200 Feet per second or so as this is going to be used by my wife and I dont want her to have to use a High Velocity load that will punish her in the recoil Department.
She is 70 years old and small and weighs about 85 Pounds.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I haven't seen a lot of selection when I do come across 20 ga buckshot. I think about all I've come across in 20 ga 2 3/4" is high brass OOO buckshot. I have never seen any factory low brass buckshot, hope you find what you're looking for.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Out of stock but.....

Midway had listed Remington 2 3/4 reduced recoil 20 ga buckshot.

Dunno who else makes such ammo

Last edited by hookeye; 11/24/20.
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
Out of stock but.....

Midway had listed Remington 2 3/4 reduced recoil 20 ga buckshot.

Dunno who else makes such ammo

Yes everywhere I look for any Ammo is “out of stock”

Or sign up to be notified when back in stock

If Potterfield is holding out on everybody waiting on higher prices I hope he gets caught holding the bag and has to sell every last shell at a loss !!
Lol

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.