Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The wife and I were splitting black oak for fire wood today, up on the property that I hunt deer on. This stuff is super hard and stringy, darn near impossible to split by hand.

As I ran the hydraulic ram into a round, I saw something that I instantly recognized. There was an expended bullet. Perfectly mushroomed smack dab in the middle of this piece of wood.

I know this isn't really unusual. In fact when I was a youngster pulling green chain in a local veneer mill we would occasionally have parts of bullets, nails, spikes, wire and even a broadhead or two come bouncing down the belt on top of the veneer. They had been sliced into segments by the knives during the peeling process.

I think this is a .30 caliber Remington Corelokt bullet, based on the recessed base of the bullet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]imageupload
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
The wife and I were splitting black oak for fire wood today, up on the property that I hunt deer on. This stuff is super hard and stringy, darn near impossible to split by hand.

As I ran the hydraulic ram into a round, I saw something that I instantly recognized. There was an expended bullet. Perfectly mushroomed smack dab in the middle of this piece of wood.

I know this isn't really unusual. In fact when I was a youngster pulling green chain in a local veneer mill we would occasionally have parts of bullets, nails, spikes, wire and even a broadhead or two come bouncing down the belt on top of the veneer. They had been sliced into segments by the knives during the peeling process.

I think this is a .30 caliber Remington Corelokt bullet, based on the recessed base of the bullet.

If only it could tell us the story. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
How deep was the middle?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The woodshop at the Pella plant in Pella iowa had a big can full of bullets and pellets. Round balls, buckshot, every caliber. Maxi balls, perfect mushrooms, FMJs, you name it. Pretty neat find.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty neat! I seen pics of pistols and rifles grown into trees before.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

If only it could tell us the story. smile

Something like this: 2 days before the season, Cletus and Mortimer got drunked up and went to sight in Cletus new rifle. He had some Craiglist ammo in a paper sack. First one missed the tree, second one hit it. Good enough, says Cletus. The end.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
How deep was the middle?

A eight inch diameter trunk, the bullet was pretty much in the middle.....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You could probably get $50 for that with the current reloading supply shortage.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Deadliest mushroom in the woods!

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Was wondering where that one went...

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
neighbor at camp found a round ball in a big oak round a few years ago. none of us know anyone in the past 50 years who would have been shooting a round ball that close to the camps. the area where the camps are built was woods until the early 50's when the camps started going in. it was really corroded too. he still has it. looks like its under 45 or so caliber.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys are luckier than me, found a hell of a fungal infection last year doing wood. 10 days in the hospital and still dealing with it. Trade ya for the bullet...lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cool when you find them because you always wonder about the story behind it.

When I worked for Howard Miller Clock Company every once in a while you'd have to pull a grandfather clock off the line because there was a big old lead spot in the middle of the clock.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
You guys are luckier than me, found a hell of a fungal infection last year doing wood. 10 days in the hospital and still dealing with it. Trade ya for the bullet...lol

Wait, what? You caught a fungal infection from the wood?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A guy at work came in with a plastic bag.
"Karl, you ain't gonna believe what I found in a piece of firewood
last night."

It was a squirrel.

Sawed in half.

Somehow while he was cutting, he sawed it in half.

Would love to have seen that from inside the log.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 11/24/20.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to the the local health department and my infectious disease doctor, yeah. Going by my recollection and what my family has done, they believe it was cutting.

Usually if I do hit a rotten section, I stop and either get rid of that log or cut further up. I was on humira for my crohns at the the time and it was like the perfect storm. According to my doc, a normal system with a normal immune system it would have been a non issue.

I call it my precursor to 2020.

Last edited by Joel/AK; 11/24/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually find nails.

Cut ones.

Not old fashioned cut nails.

Chainsaw cut nails.

$#@@&*((*&%@!×$&*(((!!!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Neat find. If only it could talk.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Deadliest mushroom in the woods!

-Jake

Heh.. ain't that the truth.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
In the last 45 years in the carpenter business I've found half a dozen or so bullets in framing lumber and v-groove cedar ceiling boards.
The last one was in a piece of barn wood I was installing as wainscot. The barn it came from had stood for 80 some odd years and the bullet was in the wood for a while before it became a barn board judging by the way the tree had healed around it.
All those bullets we shoot in the woods go someplace. Someday the one that went through the deer I shot last week might turn up in a board.
That little 4 point whitetail was the 11th buck that died from a bullet sent from that particular WW SuperX casing. It also has two coyotes to its credit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.