Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Been doing them this way for 40+ years.
Preheat pan with a drizzle of olive oil.
Slice loin about 3/8 to 1/2" thick and dust with pancake flour or Bisquick.
When a drop of water sizzles and pops in the oil put the steaks in and season, I use Morton's Nature's Seasons (lightly).
When blood starts to show on top, turn them over (doesn't take long) and season again.
About 30 seconds before you take them out, drizzle just a few drops of Worcestershire on them and be sure to get a few drops on the hot pan around the steaks.
When the Worcestershire sizzles away remove and enjoy.
The smell is addicting.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't read everything maybe this has been mentioned. Got this from a trained chef that was the food and beverage manager at a big fancy hotel. Its simple as hell. Grilling is great but if you want to do it in the house this is the way to go IMO.

Take the meat out of the fridge and rub it up good with spices. Can be as simple as salt and pepper or whatever rub you like but keep it simple and not over powering. Let it sit for an hour until its up to room temperature.

Preheat the oven to 400. Put a shot of oil in a cast iron fry pan or other fry pan that can go in the oven on medium high heat. When the oil is good and hot put the meat in the pan. Sear it quickly on all 4 sides and the ends too using tongs. Remove from the heat let cool slightly and add abot 3/4 inch of water. Add some quartered potatoes, chopped carrots and onions if you like but don't cover the meat. Stick it in the over for about 1/2 an hour or a little more depending on quickness. You're shooting for medium rare do not over cook. Serve with a little horseradish.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
And another way is to deep fry it ,either in a deep fryer or a regular deep pot 6 inches or deep is plenty filled with oil.
Flour with salt and pepper to your taste and dip in milk or buttermilk then get plenty of flour on the meat.

Get oil real hot and then drop five or 5 or six pieces in it (if over a couple of inches long cut in half)and wait till they start floating a little then take them out and place on a plate that has paper towels on it to soak up the grease.

Don't try and put too many pieces in there or you will drop the temp of the oil too much and the flour will be soggy instead of slightly crisp.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sous vide. Tried it for the first time this year. Salt and pepper in the bag, then heat to 125 degrees for a couple of hours. Hot sear in a cast iron skillet afterward. Rare center and very tender. Will do it again.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Reverse sear.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ribka
no marinade. And I used to use marinade for years.

some olive oil, salt, fresh pepper and sear quickly . let rest 10 min serve med rare or rare. you can throw some butter on while resting.

keep it simple

Yes. I'll add some while garlic in pan while searing...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MTDan
I do mine very simply. Salt and pepper to taste. Get a cast iron skillet ripping hot. Add a pat of butter. Sear 3 min or so per side. Let rest 10 minutes and enjoy.

Amen.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Japanese style.

Japanese MD, hunter and fisherman gets his wife to prepare backstrap, Japanese style.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Angus1895
One thing that helps me is to not butterfly the strap before freezing. Reduces surface area exposed to air/ freezer burn.

This is the most important post in this thread. I cut mine in three sections and butterfly before cooking.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve been giving my dogs several ‘meat sicle’ 1/3rds of backstrap. Found some from 2011, 2012 other day.

I seen a very ugly, rude side of some otherwise very docile fat labrador retrievers. lol

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I bbq mine on pit with mesquite wood. I cook it on a piece of foil so it doesn’t dry out.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks for all the replies and good ideas, guys!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
When butchering, I cut my back straps in thirds & vacuum pack.

I always cook them whole & slice, not as steaks.

Unless, I'm bacon wrapping !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

]

Yeppers

Sean
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rem141r
here is what i do with almost any cut of deer meat that is not made into burger. backstraps are great for this but roast meat works good too.

1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup teryaki
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you want a little heat)

heat in a pan to mix and let it cool. then cut meat into 2 inch square chunks and marinate overnight in a freezer bag with 1/2 the marinade.

next day, take out of marinade and bring used marinade to a boil. put meat on skewers and cook on campfire or grill while basting with used, boiled marinade.

use unused marinade for a dipping sauce.

throw out the backstrap and spread that on a piece of toast, or maybe pancakes

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I cube up backstrap and soak in apple cider, then wrap in bacon and make grilled poppers, with sweet onion, banana pepper,

Kind of like kbobs

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by slumlord
I cube up backstrap and soak in apple cider, then wrap in bacon and make grilled poppers, with sweet onion, banana pepper,

Kind of like kbobs

Goes great with Cici’s “pizza.”

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
608 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,823 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.