Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have two or the Grohmann's, a wood handle and a stag handle. They just don't feel right in my hand anymore and I don't really know why as I liked them thirty years or so ago.

I bought a House Mountain Knives (Mike McCarter) version of a belt knife and like it a lot more. While there are other knives I like a lot McCarter's is the one I use most often when dressing out deer. It also works just fine in camp when cooking.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by stantdm
I have two or the Grohmann's, a wood handle and a stag handle. They just don't feel right in my hand anymore and I don't really know why as I liked them thirty years or so ago.

I bought a House Mountain Knives (Mike McCarter) version of a belt knife and like it a lot more. While there are other knives I like a lot McCarter's is the one I use most often when dressing out deer. It also works just fine in camp when cooking.

This looks very much like the #3 Grohmann boat knife and that's what I am leaning towards... based on looks only and not handling or use.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I looked the boat knife up and it does look like similar geometry on the blade angle.

Last edited by stantdm; 11/24/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Grohmann Stag #2 Trout & Bird Knife the best.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Brad Watkins in Montana has a very similar pattern. His stuff looks really nice, although I don't own any of his knives.

I like the design, and have owned a few Grohmann knives, but I like some other steel better.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RipSnort
The Grohmann #2 Bird & Trout in stainless steel makes an excellent whitetail knife. I've got lots of custom knives so I use those but I wouldn't feel deprived if that was my only deer knife.

RS

+1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I lived in Nova Scotia for 4 years in the 1990's. Worked at the shipyard in Pictou and in Halifax and Dartmouth.
Every holiday it seems I was given Grohmann knives, both the original DH Russell and the B&T...Carbon and SS
I must have 2 dozen of them.
All in a drawer.
I also have 2 Wayne Hendrix renditions.
The BEST, and not from conjecture, but from use...are:

LTW Small Northern Hunter

Awesome AEBL...

Tag.......anybody else chime in on this? I trust the judgement of Journeyman but am curious on thoughts of anyone that's also used these.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
I lived in Nova Scotia for 4 years in the 1990's. Worked at the shipyard in Pictou and in Halifax and Dartmouth.
Every holiday it seems I was given Grohmann knives, both the original DH Russell and the B&T...Carbon and SS
All in a drawer.

Awesome AEBL...

Tag.......anybody else chime in on this? I trust the judgement of Journeyman but am curious on thoughts of anyone that's also used these.

No experience with them but I've been wanting to try that blade style. That LTW Small Northern Hunter does appeal to me due to the smaller blade - I think it would be a more useful size than the bigger versions.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
On looking for one of the LTW Small Northern Hunters, they seem to be hard to find - most all listings showing out of stock or sold out. I did locate one in green micarta through Knife Center and pulled the trigger. Anxious to check this one out...

Last edited by JGray; 12/19/22.
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have the Grohmann and the KOA. Personally, I have been a fan of KOA for 20 years and have several knives. Really boils down to personal choice. Both handle teh job well. I do think the rosewood is better looking, but when bloody is slipperier than the rubber handle on a KOA. I prefer to spend the money once and not get a knife that I may like; only to wish I had a better one. The budget is teh same on several. Figure out your preferences, buy the one you find most appealing.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’m partial to a Canadian Skinner style I make. It’s my best seller. CPM154 stainless with whatever handle material floats your boat. I’ve got em everywhere in the US and Canada now.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Grohmann is the best I have a few, but when it comes down to it
... anything that's sharp is the best blade

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I’m partial to a Canadian Skinner style I make. It’s my best seller. CPM154 stainless with whatever handle material floats your boat. I’ve got em everywhere in the US and Canada now.

I came across your knives on instagram a couple of weeks ago. That Canadian Skinner immediately caught my eye. That is a very nice knife.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
All in a drawer.

Awesome AEBL...

Journeyman is an excellent source for knife information and in this case has all sorts of experience. I would go with his suggestion. This link works: https://ltwrightknives.com/shop/knives/small-northern-hunter/

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

I came across your knives on instagram a couple of weeks ago. That Canadian Skinner immediately caught my eye. That is a very nice knife.

Thanks so much. I’ve gotten a ton of positive feedback on this model.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Godogs57,

Would you PM me a price on your Canadian Hunter with micarta please? Great looking knife.

Thanks.

Frank

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGray
On looking for one of the LTW Small Northern Hunters, they seem to be hard to find - most all listings showing out of stock or sold out. I did locate one in green micarta through Knife Center and pulled the trigger. Anxious to check this one out...

Well, it arrived the other day and initial impression is the handle seems pretty short compared to my other knives, though I think it will work fine. It does appear to be very well made...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It looks like my humpback dick.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
blush

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.