Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Was it an enjoyable hunt? Would you recommend anything in particular to someone like myself that is considering hunting them for the 1st time? If I pursue it I’m thinking of going through an outfitter. Just curious if anyone here has any helpful advice before I start digging into it and decide what direction I want to go with it.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Casey (Firstcoueswas80 here on the fire) Contact him.
I've been twice and thinking a mule deer hunt next.

Casey is a glassing machine, Not Good Boots, GREAT Boots, both hunts ended with my boots in the trash. I have no idea how people cross that stuff in sneakers.

Don't shoot farther then you're comfortable with, it's a HUNT not a sniping contest.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
H27, were you successful? I got my 1st muley a couple weeks ago out in Montana so I’m thinking about Coues deer now. Lol

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My first Coues hunt was in 1978. I have shot quite a few. They are hands down my favorite animal to hunt. Better than archery bull elk. I like it because of the challenge - both physically, mentally, and the techniques used to be successful.

Hunter success rates are not that high. Early season might be say, 30% in AZ. Late season (December) are in the 50% range.

If you are planning your first hunt, like mentioned, get a guide. They have been there, down that, so your learning curve will be much better. Get in good shape - my pack and gun will weigh about 20 pounds. It’s very rugged country - not a lot of flat country - very rocky and rough. You are likely going to be hiking in a ways - say a couple miles. Elevations will be around the 5,000 foot range. Get good boots. It’s big country out there. You will be hiking up and down. Plan for long range shots. We are talking 200-300 yards is considered a close shot. 700 yards is not unheard of. Folks who think “why don’t these guys just close the 700 yard distance” haven’t seen the country these deer live in. The buck might be on the other side of the canyon, and it’s 600 across the canyon. And it’s very noisy vegetation, rocks, and rugged country. You are not gonna close the distance. As soon as you start moving, the buck will notice you and be headed out.

The gun I personally use is a 300 Weatherby magnum with a Swarovski scope.

Bring a tripod and the best optics you can afford. 10 power would be my minimum. Learn how to glass for long periods of time, looking for a small grey deer (they weigh about 100-120 pounds on the hoof, and stand about 32” high at their shoulder) in country that has a considerable amount of cover, with deer densities in AZ about 3-11 deer per square mile. With buck to doe ratios about 1:4. They typically aren’t in herds - 2-3 deer gathered up is about it, and typically those are does with fawns. With those numbers, we are talking 1 buck per square mile. With a lot of vegetation and cover. Bucks are often bachelors, or might be around another buck in the early deer hunting seasons. So if you want a nice buck, we are talking a nice buck every say 4 square miles. You will be cover a lot of country, and glassing your eyeballs out.

It is very pretty country I think.

Let me say again, it’s rough country they inhabit. There is a reason this country they live in (southern Arizona, southern New Mexico and northern Mexico) was some of the last places people came to as the United States was being settled. Arizona and New Mexico were the last States in the lower 48 states to join. The rough country is the same reason the Apaches were the last tribe to be conquered by the US Army. It’s is rough country.

If hunting in AZ or NM, you gotta get drawn. Draw rates are somewhat decent in the early seasons, but the December season is difficult as the draw rates are low as that is when the bucks rut and everyone wants to go then as the bucks modify their behavior and are easier to locate (they drop their caution and start chasing does - don’t we all?!?!)

There is a book by Duwane Adams and Tony Mandile who wrote about hunting Coues deer. It does a good job describing what I have briefly stated above.

Last edited by flagstaff; 11/25/20.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty country. Premium optics are a must.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went for the first time last year, absolutely amazing. Can't wait until my next hunt

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by flagstaff
My first Coues hunt was in 1978. I have shot quite a few. They are hands down my favorite animal to hunt. Better than archery bull elk. I like it because of the challenge - both physically, mentally, and the techniques used to be successful.

Hunter success rates are not that high. Early season might be say, 30% in AZ. Late season (December) are in the 50% range.

If you are planning your first hunt, like mentioned, get a guide. They have been there, down that, so your learning curve will be much better. Get in good shape - my pack and gun will weigh about 20 pounds. It’s very rugged country - not a lot of flat country - very rocky and rough. You are likely going to be hiking in a ways - say a couple miles. Elevations will be around the 5,000 foot range. Get good boots. It’s big country out there. You will be hiking up and down. Plan for long range shots. We are talking 200-300 yards is considered a close shot. 700 yards is not unheard of. Folks who think “why don’t these guys just close the 700 yard distance” haven’t seen the country these deer live in. The buck might be on the other side of the canyon, and it’s 600 across the canyon. And it’s very noisy vegetation, rocks, and rugged country. You are not gonna close the distance. As soon as you start moving, the buck will notice you and be headed out.

The gun I personally use is a 300 Weatherby magnum with a Swarovski scope.

Bring a tripod and the best optics you can afford. 10 power would be my minimum. Learn how to glass for long periods of time, looking for a small grey deer (they weigh about 100-120 pounds on the hoof, and stand about 32” high at their shoulder) in country that has a considerable amount of cover, with deer densities in AZ about 3-11 deer per square mile. With buck to doe ratios about 1:4. They typically aren’t in herds - 2-3 deer gathered up is about it, and typically those are does with fawns. With those numbers, we are talking 1 buck per square mile. With a lot of vegetation and cover. Bucks are often bachelors, or might be around another buck in the early deer hunting seasons. So if you want a nice buck, we are talking a nice buck every say 4 square miles. You will be cover a lot of country, and glassing your eyeballs out.

It is very pretty country I think.

Let me say again, it’s rough country they inhabit. There is a reason this country they live in (southern Arizona, southern New Mexico and northern Mexico) was some of the last places people came to as the United States was being settled. Arizona and New Mexico were the last States in the lower 48 states to join. The rough country is the same reason the Apaches were the last tribe to be conquered by the US Army. It’s is rough country.

If hunting in AZ or NM, you gotta get drawn. Draw rates are somewhat decent in the early seasons, but the December season is difficult as the draw rates are low as that is when the bucks rut and everyone wants to go then as the bucks modify their behavior and are easier to locate (they drop their caution and start chasing does - don’t we all?!?!)

There is a book by Duwane Adams and Tony Mandile who wrote about hunting Coues deer. It does a good job describing what I have briefly stated above.

Great advice and summary here....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Was it an enjoyable hunt? Would you recommend anything in particular to someone like myself that is considering hunting them for the 1st time? If I pursue it I’m thinking of going through an outfitter. Just curious if anyone here has any helpful advice before I start digging into it and decide what direction I want to go with it.

About as fun of a western big game hunt going IMO....

I enjoy the hell outta them. I've been on a mule deer kick but the coues urge is strong, especially after your first.

- Greg

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I wouldn't hunt Coues, too dangerous. Most are down around the border. You'll see illegals every day, some will approach you for water, a very uncomfortable situation. Just pray they are not mules. Its just not worth the risk for a buck that will in all probability be less than 100", most likely less than 80".

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Few examples. You can see some more of the country too.

Ugly guy on the right alert...grin ...

- Greg

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jud, I think he's rubbing it in. grin

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
As mentioned, optics for Coues are imperative. Here are a few pictures of my homemade dual optic mount I made about 10-15 years ago. I find it very handy. I can glass with the binoculars and if I see something I really need to take a closer look at, just turn my head and look through my Zeiss spotting scope. In the picture, I have my Swarovski 7X42 mounted as my son in law was using my 15X56’s on his tripod.

There is also a picture of a buck I decided not to shoot my past October hunt. It shows how brushy their habitat can be.

I am technically challenged. Sorry I don’t know how to post the pictures like you guys do.

Attached Images
Last edited by flagstaff; 11/25/20.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I wouldn't hunt Coues, too dangerous. Most are down around the border. You'll see illegals every day, some will approach you for water, a very uncomfortable situation. Just pray they are not mules. Its just not worth the risk for a buck that will in all probability be less than 100", most likely less than 80".

Exactly!! And if they wanna steal your cheeks, your really fuucked!!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jud, I think he's rubbing it in. grin

I know right??

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Few examples. You can see some more of the country too.

Ugly guy on the right alert...grin ...

Some absolute studs in those pics!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm going with GregW in the next couple of years. Not sure if he knows it yet, but that's irrelevant to me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RickyBobby

Just shiittin ya, coues deer is a “deer hunters hunt”. I’ll take deer, any deer species any day/everyday over elk or any other species. Get in shape, get some 15’s, tripod, and some good britches that fend off brush/thorns/cactus. I’m not big on turrets, but a good accurate rifle with turrets and lotsa practice will definitely be handy down there. I’ve hunted with Greg, he makes glassing look easy, almost like a art, he can spot deer, and knows where to look like no one I’ve seen. Patience, soak it in, and enjoy the ride, probably the “coolest deer and hunt” that there is.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm going with GregW in the next couple of years. Not sure if he knows it yet, but that's irrelevant to me.

I’m not Greg, but if your goin, count me in uncle Johnny, I’m there!!!

Hint Greg!! 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I’m not Greg, but if your goin, count me in uncle Johnny, I’m there!!!

Hint Greg!! 😂😂

I'll invite you bud, guaranteed. I bet you're a helluva pack mule! I have no coues gear except for rifle, glass, and badass britches. That's all I have to offer. Don't tell Greg.

Last edited by JGRaider; 11/25/20.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Johnny is sleeping in Juds tent. Heads up, snoring is tolerable, but those feet! I seriously considered burning all his socks late one night.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1_deuce, 22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 41 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,067
Posts18,463,501
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.