Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone here hunted on Anticosti Island? If so, what outfitter did you use? Comments, good or bad.
What season did you hunt? How were conditions?

A buddy and I are thinking of going there in 2021 assuming the virus has cleared up by then.

Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Jim

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...e-wont-be-an-anticosti-2020#Post15213863

no hunts this year

I too have dreamed of going there and at 66 I better do it soon.

Last edited by old_willys; 11/24/20.

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Has anyone here hunted on Anticosti Island? If so, what outfitter did you use? Comments, good or bad.

A buddy and I are thinking of going there in 2021 assuming the virus has cleared up by then.

Jim

Thank you old willys, I appreciate it.

My wife and I have hunted the island every year since 2003, EXCEPT this one. The border is closed because of the election infection, (covid 19). We hunt with Sepaq Anticosti. The average size doe is around 80 pounds and bucks are about 125/135. So the deer are not huge, but we have never killed one that we would not have shot right here at home. My wife's biggest one was a FOUR pointer with an 18" inside spread and weighed in at 157 lbs. Personally, I have never killed one over 140. I don't know where you live in but here in NH you just don't get these opportunities. To us, it is the thrill of a life time

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

LBK: Did you give that deer " the last bite"? Or is that how you found him.?

I am in the habit of giving the game 'the last bite'....Weidmannsdank.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a friend in Germany and he posted a picture of a deer he killed and there was a bough of evergreen in the mouth. I questioned him and he told me it was a European custom to pay reverence to the deer for giving it's life. I have been doing it ever since

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/...sdom/deer-hunters-smear-blood-faces-kill

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is considered a "good" or "big" buck on the island? All I ever see are what would be the equivalent of 1.5 year old deer in Mi. Don't get me wrong, seems like a cool place to hunt but do to they ever product a big buck?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the last 5 or 6 years there has been at least a few deer 180 lbs + even reaching 200lbs but they was few and far between. You can say what you want, it won't upset me. They are right up front with you. If you are looking for a trophy you should book somewhere else. If you want a hunt that you will never forget and see deer behavior you only dream about than Anticosti is a great choice. My biggest reason for going is my wife. We have hunted since Nov 11th everyday and have not laid eyes on a deer. Size does NOT matter the thrill of the hunt DOES.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I always considered that a hunt to do for the experience, not the 'trophy', if trophies are measured in inches for you. I have lots of trophy forkhorns and spikes though, so my gauge is likely a bit different.

Wonderful photos.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have a friend in Germany and he posted a picture of a deer he killed and there was a bough of evergreen in the mouth. I questioned him and he told me it was a European custom to pay reverence to the deer for giving it's life. I have been doing it ever since

Good for you...my latest, a Sika...last week in Texas..and "the last bite"..It is a European tradition, as you said to pay reverence and to supply the animal with a bit of food for his journey to the next life.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still love hunting, but I have finally got to the point where is is MORE than just the kill. I pass on risky shots and when I kill one I always sit a spell with the animal and think about what it really means to me. Often I'll take a picture instead of shooting and say BANG . That is a REALLY cool picture. I am glad you shared it. Thank you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BtailHunter
I always considered that a hunt to do for the experience, not the 'trophy', if trophies are measured in inches for you. I have lots of trophy forkhorns and spikes though, so my gauge is likely a bit different.

Wonderful photos.

Thank you for the compliment. I love the deer hunting threads. They seem to be troll free and bring out the best people EVERY deer is a trophy......................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim

Jim

Thank you old willys, I appreciate it.

My wife and I have hunted the island every year since 2003, EXCEPT this one. The border is closed because of the election infection, (covid 19). We hunt with Sepaq Anticosti. The average size doe is around 80 pounds and bucks are about 125/135. So the deer are not huge, but we have never killed one that we would not have shot right here at home. My wife's biggest one was a FOUR pointer with an 18" inside spread and weighed in at 157 lbs. Personally, I have never killed one over 140. I don't know where you live in but here in NH you just don't get these opportunities. To us, it is the thrill of a life time

LBK's Anticosti pictures are always a wonderful highlight to hunting season

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
blush blush blush blush blush

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LBK i am with you .any deer are a trophy to me .i got a wall full of spikes grin . i will kill any legal deer if i want to. i hunt for my enjoyment not some one else.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
😀😃🙂😉😇 I have been hunting on Anticosti with Sepaq Anticosti every year but four since 1991. Many years in camp with LBK and his wife. Overall you meet very good people in deer camp. I don't go there for a big buck or a big rack. I know what to expect realistically on the island. The deer don't have the nutrition to grow big racks though I have seen some that would be good back home. I go for the experience. If I see a doe I like it will go home with me. If I were to go home with both tags in my pocket thats alright as long as I had a good time. Last year on the winter hunt Dec 10th deep snow. Couldn't get to my favorite areas. Snowed every day, 10 to 15 degree high Temps, whiteout conditions at times. Took a 104lb doe the last hour of the last day. I had a great trip.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
😀😃🙂😉😇 I have been hunting on Anticosti with Sepaq Anticosti every year but four since 1991. Many years in camp with LBK and his wife. Overall you meet very good people in deer camp. I don't go there for a big buck or a big rack. I know what to expect realistically on the island. The deer don't have the nutrition to grow big racks though I have seen some that would be good back home. I go for the experience. If I see a doe I like it will go home with me. If I were to go home with both tags in my pocket thats alright as long as I had a good time. Last year on the winter hunt Dec 10th deep snow. Couldn't get to my favorite areas. Snowed every day, 10 to 15 degree high Temps, whiteout conditions at times. Took a 104lb doe the last hour of the last day. I had a great trip.

GREAT to hear from you. You were always a reason to go back. I miss our talks about reloading. Stay safe and I hope to see you again some day.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
At a point in life it’s about the journey. I watched a doe and two yearlings the other day while bow hunting. She walked within 10 yards and I was standing motionless. I get a kick watching their behavior.
My son let them pass 3 times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I rather go there than Sas-quatch-u-on or some such place. Big deer/big racks have no draw on me.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by abbydog
At a point in life it’s about the journey. I watched a doe and two yearlings the other day while bow hunting. She walked within 10 yards and I was standing motionless. I get a kick watching their behavior.
My son let them pass 3 times.

yep well said

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.