Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by roundoak
Any Wolf sign or sighting?

I was surprised to see no wolf sign at all this fall. I didn't get any on the trail cam neither. They sure were there last winter though. I found 3 wolf kills inside of 3/4 mi. from my cabin. All were fawns.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had 2 guys not come hunt this year because one is scared crapless of COVID-19 and he has barely left the house. We are in the middle of nowhere with neighbors over a mile away and no contact with anybody. But stay home because of Rice Rabies.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations tzone

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thank you. His buddy shot his first deer last night as well. A doe. He missed on on Monday. So, I’m happy he got this one. Home today for the feast tomorrow, then back at it.

Camp is where you make it.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I turned a page in my deer hunting this year. All my life I went " up north " to hunt deer. I even have a nice little camp in NW WIs. I hunt there every year and like it. However, for several years, I have been hunting deer more and more near my house. Yesterday I finally shot a deer with my gun down here. Hunting on public land in S.E. Wisconsin is a whole different world than up north. Up north there are very few hunters and very few deer. Down here there are a lot more deer but the hunters are all over the place.. I got a doe 8 mi. from my house . My cabin , I love it there , but it is 486 mi. round trip. It is making more sense to just stay down here and hunt more as years go by . I likely tipped the scales. I sure see more deer down here. About 50% of the hunts, I will see a deer , or several of them at a time . I used a .243 Win. with my hand loads. The bullet was a Hornady 100 gr. boat tail. It blew out the liver and it ran about 100'. It sure is nice hunting close to home, but up north is a true northern Wisconsin hunting camp.

Last edited by ihookem; 11/28/20.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
My boy got his first buck opening day in Douglass Co. He’s tickled. He’s put his time and and earned it. Best bucks I’ve ever seen as far as I’m concerned.

Shot with his grandpa’s Remington 7600, 30-06 pump. 150gr bullets.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We have seen more deer than any other time hunting up here. They seem to be everywhere.

Awesome!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm glad that I was able to experience a northern Wisconsin deer camp back in the Woolrich red and black plaid days because it sure isn't the same as it was back then. Admittedly there are far more deer in the woods next to the house here in central Wisconsin, but hunting them out of the house is kind of akin to a glorified rabbit hunt. Forest County was as expected a dismal hunting experience, but the cottage with it's creature comforts is there even if the deer aren't. Northern Wisconsin is growing older and bigger trees which has crowded out much of the second growth deer range where deer thrive. The pulp wood cutting industry has all but dried up with the less expensive and softer eucalyptus pulp used in the tissue industry being shipped in from South America. Add in the severe 100 inch plus snow amounts up north that we have had, bear, wolf, coyote, depressed economy poaching, no agriculture and the Indians up there who hunt year around and you have the recipe for a barren deer desert. A half hour drive into Marinette County at least got me out of the poor forage maple laden Natioinal Forest and seeing a couple of deer. Our DNR probably in an effort to try to get a few of us back up north to sustain the local poor economy saw fit to give me a three deer gun hunting licence. There was no possible way that I was going to shoot the few breeding deer that I did see over there, but I suspect that others still in their limiting out phase didn't feel the same way. I'm not sure what the answer is other than paying to play down south on private farms and selling out up north. The good old days up north have come and gone in NE WI.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ihookem
I turned a page in my deer hunting this year. All my life I went " up north " to hunt deer. I even have a nice little camp in NW WIs. I hunt there every year and like it. However, for several years, I have been hunting deer more and more near my house. Yesterday I finally shot a deer with my gun down here. Hunting on public land in S.E. Wisconsin is a whole different world than up north. Up north there are very few hunters and very few deer. Down here there are a lot more deer but the hunters are all over the place.. I got a doe 8 mi. from my house . My cabin , I love it there , but it is 486 mi. round trip. It is making more sense to just stay down here and hunt more as years go by . I likely tipped the scales. I sure see more deer down here. About 50% of the hunts, I will see a deer , or several of them at a time . I used a .243 Win. with my hand loads. The bullet was a Hornady 100 gr. boat tail. It blew out the liver and it ran about 100'. It sure is nice hunting close to home, but up north is a true northern Wisconsin hunting camp.

Interesting to hear. Congrats on the deer. I just got back from a week “up north” and there were more hunters than we’ve seen in 15 years. Strangely enough, we also the most deer we’ve seen in years. Yesterday, I saw 16 deer. Mostly does but a few bucks. Nothing I cared to shoot. We are in Douglas Co.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I cant imagine seeing 16 deer in one day up there. I dont think I even ever saw 16 deer in one whole year up north.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by goalie
My boy got his first buck opening day in Douglass Co. He’s tickled. He’s put his time and and earned it. Best bucks I’ve ever seen as far as I’m concerned.

We have seen more deer than any other time hunting up here. They seem to be everywhere.

Awesome!!!!!

Thank you.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ihookem
I cant imagine seeing 16 deer in one day up there. I dont think I even ever saw 16 deer in one whole year up north.

I’m tellin ya, I’ve never seen a thing like it here or in MN before. That’s a record for me. They were everywhere yesterday!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There were a lot of deer running around in MN too, but my son, unlike yours, was napping at 0740 when the buck walked by.

Freezer is full (3 big deer for the two of us), sausage is made so I can't complain.

I may go back up for muzzle loader since I still have my buck tag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Awesome!!!!!

Thank you.

That is one deer he will never forget! I have shot quite a few ( but I will never forget my fist one! )

Congrats to him and you!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

My little guy out like a light.

We still got er done though.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There were a lot of deer running around in MN too, but my son, unlike yours, was napping at 0740 when the buck walked by.

Freezer is full (3 big deer for the two of us), sausage is made so I can't complain.

How have you been Dave?

My son has taken many naps on stand. He learned from the best! grin The boy has worked hard for this deer and it’s just not ever worked out until Saturday. I couldn’t be happier. I have been waiting for that text since before he could hunt.

“Dad, I just dropped a buck” was the coolest thing I’ll read in a long, long, time.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Whelenman

Awesome!!!!!

Thank you.

That is one deer he will never forget! I have shot quite a few ( but I will never forget my fist one! )

Congrats to him and you!!!

Right on. He’s on cloud 9. I remember every detail of my first buck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How have you been Dave?

My son has taken many naps on stand. He learned from the best! grin The boy has worked hard for this deer and it’s just not ever worked out until Saturday. I couldn’t be happier. I have been waiting for that text since before he could hunt.

“Dad, I just dropped a buck” was the coolest thing I’ll read in a long, long, time.

I'm almost recovered from doing the Red Bull Crashed Ice goalie race.

Almost.

Lots of time with my son, so no complaints, even if the stupid coronapocalypse makes work an epic PITA sometimes.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

How have you been Dave?

I'm almost recovered from doing the Red Bull Crashed Ice goalie race.

Almost.

Lots of time with my son, so no complaints, even if the stupid coronapocalypse makes work an epic PITA sometimes.

You’re still doing those? You’re a glutton for punishment. My wife is in the same line of work as you...crazy busy at work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I actually just hung up the pads for good. Back pain the day after any good level skate made it not worth it anymore. There's zero chance I'd do Crashed Ice anymore. Getting old sucks.

And, yeah, the local hospitals are busy. Job security I guess.

Again, congrats on your son's first deer!!!! I can't wait until that happens. Last year he was sitting with me and said I couldn't shoot any "cute little" ones. Now he wants to shoot anything bigger than a hamster.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

No Snow !!! Hunted 25 seasons and seems always had snow

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.