Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Besides blowing the regulator, what other problems can develop from old time jump starting?

I carry expensive jumper cables in both of my vehicles, I will jump off cars once or twice a year, every year. I never heard of these problems.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I should invest in one too.

I thought I was clever as hell by getting the longer jumper cables so I didn't have to care what side of the engine housed the battery. In fact, I could park behind most cars and the cables would reach. Live and learn...might start shopping today.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I just purchased a NOCO GB150 Genius 4000 Amp model. Note that there are also NOCO GB150 models that only have 3000 Amp capacity, evidently the word "Genius" in the model is the difference. I order the 4000 amp model from a well respected online company and what I got was the 3000 amp model. When I spoke to them they insisted I ordered a GB150 and a GB150 is what they sent me. After pictures of what I received and a copy of the description of the item ordered were sent and someone with common sense looked at it they allow me to return the wrong unit and get my money back, at least they said I would get my money back but I have not gotten credit yet.

I reorder from a different vendor because I had lost confidence in the original company I used.

Now a word on these units. You do not get the amperage out of these that they advertise, and that includes all the manufacturers. If a unit says 1000 amp that is what you would get under little load and at 90 degree temperature or so. A 1000 amp unit will be luck to give you 300 amps under heavy load in cold weather. For anything up to 3.5 L gas I would recommend a 2000 amp unit, anything over 3.5 L gas and up to 8.0 L gas and most likely diesel up to 8.0 L I would go with a 4000 amp unit. Most V8 truck motors have 600 to 800 amp cold cranking batteries for a reason.

My 800 amp unit I have had for a few years would only do my ATV's well.

Last edited by VaHunter; 11/25/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Besides blowing the regulator, what other problems can develop from old time jump starting?

I carry expensive jumper cables in both of my vehicles, I will jump off cars once or twice a year, every year. I never heard of these problems.

I jump started one of our accountant’s cars with county truck once, 500 lb fatfouck fleet mgr came around on his ‘gator’ and got all unglued on me. Said batteries would blow up and all types of intergalactic phenomena would occur

I told him he was full of shît

Me and the GM had a meeting next morn about it, we both laughed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most V8 truck motors have 600 to 800 amp cold cranking batteries for a reason.
Those 800 CCA batteries don't last as long on the average as the 600 to 700 ones. To get the extra amps, they make the plates thinner so they can get more in the case. The thin plates crack easier and the batteries fail. Sometimes bigger isn't better.
Now, back to the jump starters.....

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Most new vehicles employ a power distribution fuse array on the positive terminal and total current sensor on the negative terminal. Both on these sensors connect directly into the ECM. Under perfect condition you should have no problems. Touch a fuse or the wrong size of the negative current sensor and you will have less than perfect conditions.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have been studying up on this problem. Damn, all kinds of bad things can happen with a jump start, car to car.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Here ya go...

There you go, I was going to post the same video. He's actually got another one from last year testing some different ones.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Hubert
Does anyone have any experience with the jumper power boxes that are selling to start a car with a dead battery? I want to buy one to carry in my truck in case of a battery problem for me or other people.. I have been asked a couple times to help start a car that had a dead batter .. but I refuse todo that.. Many years ago I jumped a battery for a guy.. and when his car started . un be known to me at the time his regulator was bad.. and my regulator was burned up.. I dident relize there was a problem until I got home, and all the water was boiled out of my battery. destroying it. I ended up replacing the Battery, the regulator and the alternater.. for $350.00 that ended my helping people with a dead battery.. so what is a good jumper box to buy..??

I have the BEat It model D-11 (800 AH peak current) and have used it twice to jump start a VW Diesel Golf. Works flawlessly.

Tarquin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Here ya go...

There you go, I was going to post the same video. He's actually got another one from last year testing some different ones.

I have one of those GooLoo jumpers. I think I bought it on Amazon a year or two back. It holds a charge well and has started everything I've put it on just like a new, hot battery. After a jump, it still shows nearly a full charge. I would buy another one.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut

NOCO builds good stuff

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
^^This^^

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

Just give it time , you will,,

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I have a DB Power lithium battery pack (look on Amazon). It has started a 6.0 Chevy, a 5.9 Dodge gasser, a 5.3 Chevy, and plenty of riding lawn mowers. Unless you’re starting a high compression diesel, you don’t need a big battery pack.

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-1800...&hvtargid=pla-473964568314&psc=1

Main thing with the small lithium packs is to only crank for 3-5 seconds, then let them cool for several minutes before trying to crank again.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks folks. I have a hell of a time coming up with Christmas gift ideas.

Two sons in law and one son are now covered for Christmas.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by EdM
How well do they do if unused/charged for some time?

charge mine every 6 months or so.....have 4 of 'em

Yep. The old huge ones had nicad’s or AGM’s. All the new little ones have lithium’s, and ignoring them for 6 months is no big deal. Probably go 12 months and still be fine.

For $70-$100, and fit in glove box or under seat, they are cheap insurance.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Never heard this problem either.

Perhaps a mechanic here can explain how a bad regulstornon the jumped vehicle can damage the regulator on the jumping vehicle.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Harbor Freight has what you need.

~49$ and use to 20% off coupon.

I’ve used mine many times.

This. We use em to jump trucks and equipment.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have jumped off cars dozens of times just using jumper cables, and I have a set of expensive cables. Never had a problem with the regulator such as you describe.

Hmm. You are putting ideas into my head.

Me too, but once a short in the other vehicle immediately drained my battery, then I had to get a jump. No permanent damage tho.

I have a couple - one is booster/tire inflator/light.About 1 cubic foot and 15 lbs or more.

The other is a XP 100 or some such. It also has a light, WILL start my Cummins, also can charge cell phones,and iPad. It is about 1.5 inch thick, 10 inches long, 5 wide.Maybe 2-3 lbs.

I bought it when I was in the Arctic and bought my wife a big AC1100 turbo snowmachine, which does not come with a pull start... and one probably could not start that thing with a pull start if it did. I carried it in the inside pocket of my parka to keep it warm and working best. Never needed it.

$150 IIRC.

Last edited by las; 11/25/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx
I have a DB Power lithium battery pack (look on Amazon). It has started a 6.0 Chevy, a 5.9 Dodge gasser, a 5.3 Chevy, and plenty of riding lawn mowers. Unless you’re starting a high compression diesel, you don’t need a big battery pack.

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-1800...&hvtargid=pla-473964568314&psc=1

Main thing with the small lithium packs is to only crank for 3-5 seconds, then let them cool for several minutes before trying to crank again.

Looking in to one of these now.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las

I have a couple - one is booster/tire inflator/light.About 1 cubic foot and 15 lbs or more.

Friends gifted my daughter one of these in Fairbanks. Known colloquially as “boyfriend in a box”.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 42 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.