Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by copperking81
You could probably get $50 for that with the current reloading supply shortage.

Only if he found the spent primer.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I dug a well mushrromed .38 wadcutter out of some plywood roof decking while stripping off a roof.

Went and inside the empty rental and seen old spot of dap putty in the sheetrock ceiling.

Realtor said someone sucked a pistol a few years back in that bedroom.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Built a couple of additions, and remodeled the kitchen of a house near Santa Fe.
When I sanded the tongue and groove floor in the office addition, I turned up a shiny spot.
It was a 22 lead slug, embedded in a board - in the middle of the entry doorway
(Would have been a pain to remove that board, in that location)
The lady of the house (Swedish immigrant) decided it was kind of neat, and to just leave it there.
Bless you, Eva !

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
According to the the local health department and my infectious disease doctor, yeah. Going by my recollection and what my family has done, they believe it was cutting.

Usually if I do hit a rotten section, I stop and either get rid of that log or cut further up. I was on humira for my crohns at the the time and it was like the perfect storm. According to my doc, a normal system with a normal immune system it would have been a non issue.

I call it my precursor to 2020.

If you don’t mind if I ask, was it histoplasmosis?

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
The wife and I were splitting black oak for fire wood today, up on the property that I hunt deer on. This stuff is super hard and stringy, darn near impossible to split by hand.

As I ran the hydraulic ram into a round, I saw something that I instantly recognized. There was an expended bullet. Perfectly mushroomed smack dab in the middle of this piece of wood.

I know this isn't really unusual. In fact when I was a youngster pulling green chain in a local veneer mill we would occasionally have parts of bullets, nails, spikes, wire and even a broadhead or two come bouncing down the belt on top of the veneer. They had been sliced into segments by the knives during the peeling process.

I think this is a .30 caliber Remington Corelokt bullet, based on the recessed base of the bullet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]imageupload
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If only it could tell us the story. smile

It tells me the sumbich tree jumped in front of a deer someone was shooting at. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I noticed a bulge in a bathroom surround and thought it was a nail or screw from the garage side.
I investigated and found what looked like a small caliber hole in the sheetrock - then noticed a lead streak along the side of the freezer.

Lining everything up, I found a .22 caliber hole in my garage door! It went through the door just grazing the freezer and hit the sheetrock, putting the bulge in the surround!

My wife gave me the stink eye...but I said "Hell No" it wasn't me.
Anything stupid I did would have been out going......:)

*Chain saws.... where we're cutting is all low land just outside of town. Small towns.
Lot's of hunting over several generations has taken place here and there's little doubt that there's a bunch of wounded tree out there. Most of what I find with the saw is old wire fencing and that sure wreaks havoc on a good chain!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Deadliest mushroom in the woods!

-Jake

Heh.. ain't that the truth.

Yet the tree lived . . . .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
The wife and I were splitting black oak for fire wood today, up on the property that I hunt deer on. This stuff is super hard and stringy, darn near impossible to split by hand.

As I ran the hydraulic ram into a round, I saw something that I instantly recognized. There was an expended bullet. Perfectly mushroomed smack dab in the middle of this piece of wood.

I know this isn't really unusual. In fact when I was a youngster pulling green chain in a local veneer mill we would occasionally have parts of bullets, nails, spikes, wire and even a broadhead or two come bouncing down the belt on top of the veneer. They had been sliced into segments by the knives during the peeling process.

I think this is a .30 caliber Remington Corelokt bullet, based on the recessed base of the bullet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]imageupload

If only it could tell us the story. smile

It tells me the sumbich tree jumped in front of a deer someone was shooting at. smile

That's right! They'll do it every time. laugh

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The base also resembles a Nosler Partition IMO.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good thing the trees catch a lot of the stray bullets. I had a buddy in high school that caught a stray 30 caliber bullet in his butt hunting deer in Texas...We had no ideal where it came from. All the shots we heard that evening it happened were way far off in the distance...

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
found an 8mm FMJ in a piece I was splitting a few years ago. Had about 2 inches of discolored trail behind it and the tree was about 4 inches in diameter when hit, the log was about 18 inches when I split it

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've found a few 22 lead bullets in oak tops from the farm splitting firewood from a select cut....made me wonder if they were shot by gramps, dad, brother or me nobody else has hunted squirrels in that woods in the past 80 years....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I worked in sawmills for 42 years, as a saw filer.

Somewhere in my "treasures" I have a steel core military bullet we hit with a saw.

Someone was target shooting with old military ammo.

I had to weld in about a dozen teeth back in that saw.

Seems we were always hitting some kind of hard stuff. Rock, nails, bullets, insulators, etc.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread here; and I'm sure there's a few trees in this world containing bullets deposited by me back in my younger days. At least I had a good back stop. Years ago a buddy clipped a small branch with a T/C Contender with a 444 Marlin barrel while aiming at a deer. Deflected the bullet just enough to miss the deer but hit a big oak (?) tree not too far away.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sure, you did recover the log. Nevertheless, I prefer "premium" bullets to assure a "pass through" for a good sap trail.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When Dad was a representative for a company that sold baler and binder twine, he was sent to a warehouse (I think in Kansas) to check on some complaints. It seems that people were complaining about their balls of twine coming right in the first few feet. No one had bothered to check any deeper as they assumed that whole ball would be in short segments. Dad went to the warehouse and looked over some some the bales of twine stacked there. Right away, he found one with a small hole in the paper wrapping. A little investigation revealed that someone had gotten the bright idea to do a little indoor target practice with the bales of twine as a backstop.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I used to hunt occasionally with a guy who used a 375 H&H on deer and elk. He jokingly said that it was great in timber because he could shoot through a tree to hit a deer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like this one

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
It was a squirrel.

Sawed in half.

Somehow while he was cutting, he sawed it in half.

I actually did this myself a couple of years ago cutting a hollow tree in my back yard.

Fell the tree, limbed it and was working my way down the trunk when a squirrel missing its rear half came crawling out. Freaked me out until I figured out what it was.

R
RKJ Offline
R
Originally Posted by hanco
I like this one

I believe I would have crapped all over myself if I found that while cutting that log.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (19rabbit52, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.