Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My neighbor to the south, cut and split a dead oak that was in our fence line and found a musket ball in it a few years back.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Reminds me of the Gettysburg stories and photos of all the balls and minies that collided in mid air...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Reminds me of the Gettysburg stories and photos of all the balls and minies that collided in mid air...

I remember a picture of a fence post or tree trunk that was cut in half to a point like a beaver had chewed it.

Also accounts of battle field rifle pick-ups that had multiple charges in them (I think one had 13). Apparently with all of the noise, confusion, and adrenaline, people would think that they had fired when they really hadn't and just kept on ramming charges down the barrel. (You would think that after a number, especially 13, the fact that the ramrod was only going in part way would set off some alarms.)

Last edited by 5sdad; 11/25/20.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It was JeffObama/GunTRuck50's bullet. It didn't "overpenetrate"....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by RKJ
Originally Posted by hanco
I like this one

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I believe I would have crapped all over myself if I found that while cutting that log.

Me too, not sure, but I think the log cutter lost the dog.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
According to the the local health department and my infectious disease doctor, yeah. Going by my recollection and what my family has done, they believe it was cutting.

Usually if I do hit a rotten section, I stop and either get rid of that log or cut further up. I was on humira for my crohns at the the time and it was like the perfect storm. According to my doc, a normal system with a normal immune system it would have been a non issue.

I call it my precursor to 2020.

If you don’t mind if I ask, was it histoplasmosis?

Yup. My sodium level was so low, I was 1 point away from going to the ICU.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
According to the the local health department and my infectious disease doctor, yeah. Going by my recollection and what my family has done, they believe it was cutting.

Usually if I do hit a rotten section, I stop and either get rid of that log or cut further up. I was on humira for my crohns at the the time and it was like the perfect storm. According to my doc, a normal system with a normal immune system it would have been a non issue.

I call it my precursor to 2020.

If you don’t mind if I ask, was it histoplasmosis?

A fungal disease that gets in your lungs and little calcified lesions and scarring. Mainly but not always associated with digging in ground around old wild bird roosts, pigeons in walls, etc Disturbing spores and inhaling it

Some try to lump farm chickens and coops in that but some of that has been debunked pertaining to domesticated fowl.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RKJ
I like this one

I believe I would have crapped all over myself if I found that while cutting that log.

Me too, not sure, but I think the log cutter lost the dog.

Some think that was a hunting dog, coon dog that got stuck in there.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You guys are luckier than me, found a hell of a fungal infection last year doing wood. 10 days in the hospital and still dealing with it. Trade ya for the bullet...lol

Blastomycosis -AKA Loggers disease.A fungus found in rotten wood and damp ground near streams.A logger I was working with got it.He had to take massive doses of steroids to get rid of it.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
As I ran the hydraulic ram into a round, I saw something that I instantly recognized. There was an expended bullet. Perfectly mushroomed smack dab in the middle of this piece of wood.
I used to hunt occasionally with a guy who used a 375 H&H on deer and elk. He jokingly said that it was great in timber because he could shoot through a tree to hit a deer.

Back about 1980, I was on an elk hunt in eastern Oregon with some much older companions.
One, Jerry, had a pre64 Winchester in .375 H&H. He was running 270gr Hornady rnsp bullets and I just had to shoot it. We tacked something on a lodgepole pine and I shot it several times. Later in the week I just happen to come down that same draw after a hunt and came across the targeted tree from the back side.... I was amazed to find large blown out splintered exit holes in that tree!! Maybe a 10" diameter trunk.

Jerry, did tell me of an elk he killed after his .375 bullet went through a pine burl and struck the elk knocking it down. It took another shot to settle him down, but he got his game.
Those guys were toting a .375, .338's and Ackley "06's..... I was in Looney heaven!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RKJ
I like this one

That’s a great one. Perfectly mummified. And in the virtually extinct American chestnut I think? Makes me sad for the dog though. Clearly a good one. Got in after that vermin and wasn’t coming out without it. Must have been a terrier of some type. Poor thing. Terrible way to go out - slow. Trapped.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

394 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 56 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,418
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.