Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Was in a local gun shop recently and handled the Ruger Secururity 9.

They appear more compact in person than the photos,...comes with 2 15 round mags. They're hammer fired with a 5 pound trigger, manual safety. Dovetail sights both front and rear. Weighs about 22 ounces.

It fits my hand very well and has a good sight picture.

Anybody know of any problems with this pistol? The online reviews seem to think it's a good piece of work.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My wife has one. It is more accurate than I can shoot, and has been completely reliable. The standard weight spring is designed for very hot ammo, and is a bit of a challenge for her to cycle. The magazine rattles around in the grip. I've never noticed it when shooting it or packing it around, but I don't like it. Simple fixes abound, of course.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
9mil +P?

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 5thShock
9mil +P?

Never thought about it so I looked around the net. +P ammo doesn't seem to be a problem for the Security 9.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not only is +P not a problem, but as I mentioned, the slide spring is very heavy, and seemed designed to run +P and +P+. I've run some HOT schit through it, just to see how it would do, and I saw no evidence of any problems whatsoever. I've packed it for bear protection when berry picking, loaded to some ridiculous speed with a very hard cast 155gr flat nose. Those are very nearly +P+, I would guess.

On the other hand, I've some moderate target loads for the wife using 125gr cast bullets and Titegroup at 3.5gr where the brass just drops about 12-18 inches from the feet of the shooter.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm not planning on running it hot. I just want a decent hi cap CCW that fits my hand and has good sights. I just went to the LGS to buy it and it's been sold.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'm not planning on running it hot. I just want a decent hi cap CCW that fits my hand and has good sights. I just went to the LGS to buy it and it's been sold.
Smith and Wesson M&Pc. 9, 40 or 45. Nearly as concealable as the single stack Shield.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Personally I prefer the Security 9 over the S&W Shield any day. It has a better grip, holds more ammo and (for me) points better.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
The way it fit my
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Personally I prefer the Security 9 over the S&W Shield any day. It has a better grip, holds more ammo and (for me) points better.

The way it fit my hand is what made me interested in it. I've got a Kahr that's a good pistol. But its grip is so narrow that it just never felt right in my hand. lately, I'm of the opinion that a thicker grip and another inch of barrel really doesn't hinder concealability all that much. A casual shirt not tucked in will conceal about any handgun you want to mention in an IWB holster. Besides, Kentucky is a Constitutional carry state. I don't want to be flagrant about the fact that I'm carrying. But I don't worry too much about somebody noticing.

I'm more concerned with a handgun fitting my hand than how well it conceals.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, the fit in the hand when there is no time for sights, just enough for one single shot.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would try to find gun from premium line from this company which is the SR9 series. With Ruger pistols one always picks stainless slide because blackened carbon steel oxidizes rather easily when worn CWW.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bristoe,

My son-in-law and my brother-in-law both have Security 9’s. My BIL got one of the first ones to come out and shot the bejesus out of it. I don’t know that it has ever malfunctioned. My SIL shoots everything and anything thru his and has found it very accurate and, like you, likes the way it fits him.
I think ergonomics is 90% of the battle towards being proficient with a weapon...

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Bristoe,

My son-in-law and my brother-in-law both have Security 9’s. My BIL got one of the first ones to come out and shot the bejesus out of it. I don’t know that it has ever malfunctioned. My SIL shoots everything and anything thru his and has found it very accurate and, like you, likes the way it fits him.
I think ergonomics is 90% of the battle towards being proficient with a weapon...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The way it fit my
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

The way it fit my hand is what made me interested in it. I've got a Kahr that's a good pistol. But its grip is so narrow that it just never felt right in my hand. lately, I'm of the opinion that a thicker grip and another inch of barrel really doesn't hinder concealability all that much. A casual shirt not tucked in will conceal about any handgun you want to mention in an IWB holster. Besides, Kentucky is a Constitutional carry state. I don't want to be flagrant about the fact that I'm carrying. But I don't worry too much about somebody noticing.

I'm more concerned with a handgun fitting my hand than how well it conceals.

Try one of these on your CW9 or whatever model you have......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pachmayr-05159-fits-Kahr-CW9-40-P9-40-Tactical-Grip-Glove-Rubber-Black-NEW/163917068705?hash=item262a37f9a1:g:cnMAAOSwzSNdsXOl

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Slavek
I would try to find gun from premium line from this company which is the SR9 series. .
Agreed. I have an SR9C that's been wonderful.. But a recent search shows Ruger doesn't make that model any longer - at least I couldn't find it.. If true, too bad, since that was a fine pistol..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Redneck
I would try to find gun from premium line from this company which is the SR9 series. .
Agreed. I have an SR9C that's been wonderful.. But a recent search shows Ruger doesn't make that model any longer - at least I couldn't find it.. If true, too bad, since that was a fine pistol..

Ruger is in a race to the bottom. They made the SR9 because it was cheaper than the P-series. Then they replaced it with the cheaper American, but that didn't sell. So now they've replaced it with the even cheaper Security-9. Just like within a few years, the Single 6 will disappear because of the Wrangler, the 77 will disappear because of the American, the SP101 will disappear because of the LCR, etc, etc.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Ruger is in a race to the bottom. They made the SR9 because it was cheaper than the P-series. Then they replaced it with the cheaper American, but that didn't sell. So now they've replaced it with the even cheaper Security-9. Just like within a few years, the Single 6 will disappear because of the Wrangler, the 77 will disappear because of the American, the SP101 will disappear because of the LCR, etc, etc.

How do you make a polymer framed pistol any cheaper? Glock pretty much mastered the art of the "cheap to produce" pistol a long time ago.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

How do you make a polymer framed pistol any cheaper? Glock pretty much mastered the art of the "cheap to produce" pistol a long time ago.

For one thing, when they morphed the LC9 into the EC9, they cast the front sight into the slide instead of having a replaceable dovetail sight.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

For one thing, when they morphed the LC9 into the EC9, they cast the front sight into the slide instead of having a replaceable dovetail sight.

As mentioned, the Security 9 has dovetailed sights front and rear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is too bad Americans do not allow handgun imports from PRC and Russian Federation. This would provide welcome competition for domestic manufacturers to benefit consumers. One strong competitor to Security 9 is Turkish Canik TP9 Elite. Canik is strong competitor of all major handgun brands with plastic frames. One surprising competitor is company from Slavakia which makes rotating barrel gun with plastic frame. It is hammer fired design with surprisingly good trigger pulls. I have seen these at closeout at American dealers for under $400 new and used sample in top shape and minimal use about $300. The re-assembly after takedown for rotating barrel variety takes some getting used to. crazy Not sure about the .380 blowback design.
You see, there are viable alternatives to playing the so called "Ruger Roulette"...... grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.