Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Didn't want to mix this up with the battery jumper box thread.

These days of working from home my car doesn't get much use. I maybe drive it 2-3 times per week and even then rarely more than a couple of miles. I've noticed the starter cranks more slowly since the battery is being used but isn't being charged much. I have a CTEK tender on my motorcycle battery for the winter months and thought of getting a tender for the car.

Anybody have a good recommendation? Don't need a quick charger, just something to leave attached to the battery for a while to keep it charged up. Car is a 2004 Honda CR-V with a standard 12 volt battery.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like starting it uses more power than the alternator can replace in the short distance you drive. It's a common problem. Also, as soon you turn the key, a bunch of electronics get active and they all pull from the battery.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using a BatteryMinderPlus on my hotrod for quite a while and it has worked fine for me. I'm pretty sure all the tender type chargers are about the same except for the price... I have an AGM Optima battery in my hot rod and they are more particular about how they are supposed to be charged and I haven't had any problems using this system.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a bunch of the Harbor Freight maintainers. You can get them for 5 bucks on sale if you keep an eye out. I use them through the winter months on both of my boat batteries, my bike, and my lawn tractor. Been doing this for many years.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Is your car kept in a heated garge, unheated garage , or outside? How far do you drive?

Google it or talk to your local CarQuest/O'Reily/Napa. I think they come pretty cheap, and some can be installed under the hood and plugged in like a block heater. If outside, a battery heat cover may help, also. Cold batteries lose much oif their cranking power.

Just remember to unplug it when you leave ....... smile

I've been thinking of getting a shop model for my RV/Boat batteries, which are just out sitting on the bench in the heated garage. Topping them up every month or two is not really that much of a PITA, so I've been putting it off.... but old age is for lazy. smile

Our vehicles are kept in a heated garage, and it's about a 10 mile OW trip to town, That seems sufficient to keep the batteries up, tho I may put one and a battery cover(s) in the Expedition, for winter trips to the Interior, when the car has is kept out overnight in temps to -50. Block heater plugged in if possible.

So far, no problem, but I told my wife we are not going to go "camping" in a rental cabin without electricity again as we did last year. (-35) Getting up every 3 hours to warm the car and stoke the POS wood stove is for the young and/or foolish. smile

OK, I'm late to the party while typing, I see.

Last edited by las; 11/25/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been using Harbor Freights el cheapo's for over 20 years on several batteries, motorcycle, ATV, cars etc. with good results

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting that this thread showed up today....

I help maintain the fire engines for the volunteer fire dept. Today I changed out the batteries on one of the engines and they were 9 years 2 months old. I'm not sure what brand of trickle charger is on the engines, but when the engines are not in use, they are plugged up 24/7, and kept in a station that is semi-heated. Meaning that the thermostat is set at 50 degrees.

One of the things that helps the batteries last longer is that we have master cut-off switches on the engines. You flip the switch and all power to the engine is off. No power anywhere, so the trickle charger is actually doing very little, but the batteries are kept fully charged.

I you'd like, I can check and see what brand of trickle chargers are on the engines, and let you know.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Sounds like starting it uses more power than the alternator can replace in the short distance you drive. It's a common problem. Also, as soon you turn the key, a bunch of electronics get active and they all pull from the battery.

I have an 2005 CRV... and that has been my opinion as well.

I use BatteryTender units on various things...

At $60 (IIRC)... I have been quite satisfied. From diesel gensets... Cummins trucks... CRVs... never a complaint.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use Battery Tender on the important stuff - the car we seldom drive in the garage and my motorcycle.

The harbor freight brands on my mowers and boat battery

It has extended the life on my mower batteries by at least 3 years.

Last edited by KFWA; 11/25/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I'm a firm believer in Battery Tender brand. Have one on my tractor and one on my 09 motorcycle that is still running the OEM battery. 11 years on a battery, first time I've ever had a battery last that long. Has made a believer out of me.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a battery tender on my Lexus SC 430. With the sensors, alarms and other stuff that are constantly on even with the ignition off the battery will drain down in less than a week of non use. Battery tender will keep up with the normal drain.

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you have any old 12v fractional amperage transformer plugs from an old cable box etc that should work.

Look at the output amps on you battery tender and compare.
You want one with less amps not more.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or you could just forget all the add on dew-dads and buy an Odyssey Battery. The first set in my diesel truck lasted 11 years. My truck sat for 2 weeks in sub-zero overnight cold one time in January. For a reason long forgotten, I had to start it up one night at -15 below zero at the end of that two week cold soak.. It started right up. My truck has never been kept in a garage either.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use Battery Tender.. Probably have at least a half-dozen of 'em and they work very, very well..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've used a pair of these for the last 15-20 years on various things:

https://smartercharger.com/products/ctek-mus-4-3-test-and-charge

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It only needs to be "smart" if it puts above a certain amperage.

I have a few pulled batteries for lights in my cargo trailer hooked to a pair of small 6v solar panels in series.
Bright sun gets the output around 18v at around 0.2A these used up batteries have been at it for years.

You could also set up a regular top up with a regular charger .
As the Military does with depot vehicles.

Or find the IOD (ignition off draw) fuse and pull it. That will work like the master off mentioned earlier.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I picked up a 4-bank Battery Tender brand charger last fall. With motorcycle, lawn tractor, generator and atvs stored over the winter it made more sense that several stand alone chargers. Also picked up several different length terminal cables for it so I can reach the different equipment stored inside the garage without pulling all the batteries.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I keep Battery Tender chargers on my tractors, and also use Schumaker brand that's good

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.