Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JohnT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just acquired a 300 Weatherby or more correctly bought a 300 Wby barrel for my 458 Lott Mauser M03. As you may know the M03 is going out of production so the Australian distributors were having a runout sale and the barrel was half price! I've always read that the famous Weatherby double radius shoulders didn't really do anything much, just marketing hype but didn't do anything bad either - so I thought.

I've been reading Pierre van de Walt's "African Dangerous Game cartridges" and he says that you need to anneal Weatherby brass each firing or the brass will be short lived (and they are expensive) and that this is due to the double radius shoulder.

What is the opinion here? Does the double radius cause a weakness in the shoulder/neck area compared to a straight angled shoulder? Or is it just handloaders chasing Weatherby velocities and the shoulder makes no difference?

regards
JohnT

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll tell you what an engineer at RCBS told me about that about a gazillion years ago. At the time I was playing with a .240 Wby and having a lot of fun burning up the barrel. And I too noticed that I was getting neck splits right at the upper radius. So I too started annealing (something I hate to do) and I got something much more normal from my brass.

Well about a year later, I went up to RCBS for who knows what now, and I talked to one of the engineers. He said the double radius causes the brass to flow less gracefully during forming and that they get a little work hardened right from the factory. Well, that's what he said. Sounds plausible to me, but my recollection tells me that case neck annealing is part of the manufacturing process. So if the cases were work hardened at the neck, it should have been annealed out. But take this all with a grain of salt, I don't trust my memory all that much these days.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's been nearly 40 years now since I've reloaded for a Weatherby round (340 WBY) but, IIRC, as long as i set the sizing die to headspace off the shoulder that I had no issues with split cases.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MickeyD
It's been nearly 40 years now since I've reloaded for a Weatherby round (340 WBY) but, IIRC, as long as i set the sizing die to headspace off the shoulder that I had no issues with split cases.

I do the same thing Mickey. Never have had any issues with loading the 300wby cartridge after nearly 26 years of handloading...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have been loading the 257 Wby for 6 years with no problems neck sizing through at least 4 loadings per case with no annealing yet.
GreggH

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I only have a 257 Bee and I don't think the shoulder radius would cause work hardening any sooner than other shoulder angle configurations. I think that some of the gun lore is due to the fact that people really stomp on the loading of the Weatherby cartridges trying to equal or exceed factory velocities. The factory velocities are derived by being right at 65,000 psi, a pressure level where brass will start to move easily. I think the double radius is no better or worse than an angular neck shoulder configuration. Loading other cartridges like the 270 WSM to 63,000+ psi any number of things become more critical.

Not sure what the actual shoulder angle is but it appears to be around 30 degrees which has proven to be a good design for target cartridges to produce more even pressures.

Another thing I suspect but have no basis for is that die manufacturers may have different tolerances on the shoulder and radius, even though they are SAAMI specked cartridges.

This could be due to the brass composition itself more than the shape of the shoulder. Norma brass which was the exclusive supplier of Weatherby brass for a number of years has varied from being quite soft to being comparable to other brass. The era of the soft brass could have generated the need for annealing advice. Me I will anneal every three to five loadings and see how it goes. There is no down side to doing it every loading other than the time factor.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JohnT
I just acquired a 300 Weatherby or more correctly bought a 300 Wby barrel for my 458 Lott Mauser M03. As you may know the M03 is going out of production so the Australian distributors were having a runout sale and the barrel was half price! I've always read that the famous Weatherby double radius shoulders didn't really do anything much, just marketing hype but didn't do anything bad either - so I thought.

I've been reading Pierre van de Walt's "African Dangerous Game cartridges" and he says that you need to anneal Weatherby brass each firing or the brass will be short lived (and they are expensive) and that this is due to the double radius shoulder.

What is the opinion here? Does the double radius cause a weakness in the shoulder/neck area compared to a straight angled shoulder? Or is it just handloaders chasing Weatherby velocities and the shoulder makes no difference?

regards
JohnT

I've loaded a bunch of Weatherby cartridges and based on my experience that sounds like a load of BS.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What Mathman said. Load WBY and RP .300 Roy brass as many as a dozen times, minimal shoulder bump. Never annealed.

If anything, get longer life from both my M700 .300 Roys than from any .300 Win I've owned. Has zip to do with the radius shoulder, and everything to do with the blessing of pretty snug factory chambers.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have loaded for and used extensively over several decades five Weatherby calibers in many rifles. As others here have said, I get longer brass life than most other cartridges, especially the .300 Win Mag.

I am also dubious about claims that the double radius shoulder gets credit. More likely better barrel specs and minimal case taper. I have never annealed a Weatherby case.

Last edited by GF1; 11/26/20.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've loaded appx 1500 rounds of 240, 257 and 270 Weatherby and have never once annealed, nor had a case split. I normally get 8-10 firings out of a case at which point the primer pockets start to go.

IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve been loading .300 and 7mm Roy’s for years. I have never used anything by Weatherby brass and just use the neck sizing die for practice rounds and full length size or new cases for hunting. Some of my 7mm Weatherby cases have over 10 firings and never had a case neck split or head separation. Not so with 7mm Rem Mag cases. BS...

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some target shooters anneal at each loading but with a hunting cartridge and rifle this is a waste of time. Like others I would see case neck splits at around 10-12 loads on the 7RM and 300 WM. This doesn't happen if I anneal before I hit the fifth load. Average brass I toss after a dozen loads but the better Brass will get a third annealing and may go 20 times for Lapua and especially RWS brass. I have not loaded the 257WM enough to have an opinion but I think I will use the same routine as the brass is so expensive. I formed several 264 PPU with poor results and I will probably anneal the next batch I try prior to forming.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been loading Weatherby cartridges with Norma (Weatherby) brass for over 30 years. Can't seem to remember this as an issue. If anything, it was loose primer pockets after about five (?) or so firings.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I've been loading Weatherby cartridges with Norma (Weatherby) brass for over 30 years. Can't seem to remember this as an issue. If anything, it was loose primer pockets after about five (?) or so firings.

That's been my experience as well, but within the past 20 years haven't encountered many loose primer pockets either with Weatherby (Norma) brass. And I've loaded for the .240, .257, 6.5-.300, .270, 7mm, .300 and .340 Weatherby Magnums.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
I've loaded appx 1500 rounds of 240, 257 and 270 Weatherby and have never once annealed, nor had a case split. I normally get 8-10 firings out of a case at which point the primer pockets start to go.

Same experience with 240 and 257 weatherby, but only about 500 rounds.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M

Well, I would say--based on the evidence of a LOT of Campfire members, that Pierre van de Walt is FOS on this subject. Or maybe he just doesn't know the basics of resizing brass.

Which makes me wonder about his other knowledge.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread here. I have no idea concerning double radius shoulders and weakness in the neck / shoulder area. I pretty much use neck sizing only on my 257 Wby and the brass seems to last a long time. Gotta start keeping better track of the number of reloadings. The double radius design was supposed to promote better gas flow or something like that. Probably just a marketing ploy but who knows for sure. I bet lots of folks, including me, see a double radius shoulder and it just screams " high velocity, high performance" . That's the way old Roy wanted it and it worked on me. It's sort of a unique marketing concept and Roy knew how to market stuff.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Well, I would say--based on the evidence of a LOT of Campfire members, that Pierre van de Walt is FOS on this subject. Or maybe he just doesn't know the basics of resizing brass.

Which makes me wonder about his other knowledge.

I vote FOS. I have had a few loose primer pockets on a few cases cycled many times working up loads, some of which were obviously a bit warm with physical pressure signs along the way. Norma/Weatherby brass is top shelf. I don’t bother with other brands. Some of the Nosler branded cases were made by Norma. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never had a Weatherby case split. I have 257’s and 300’s.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A

regards
JohnT

The advantage of the internet is that you no longer have to rely on "one man's opinion" so you can either "shop" for the opinion that matches yours or the collective of opinions that make you more comfortable with your own observations. Emphasis being, that direct observations are of greater importance that someone else's opinion which cannot be as easily qualified as based on experience.

I have something around 45 years experience loading for Weatherby rifles and cartridges and in Oz, that meant more experience that all the writers combined. I have never had or seen nor heard of a split neck on double radius shoulders. That doesn't mean I am I right in my opinion, it does however, mean that my statement of personal observation is entirely correct.

The Readers Digest version is that I do not agree with your source.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,999 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,481
Posts18,451,879
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.