Print Thread
Hop To
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
first stand - open hardwoods - found a dead tree - set up the little owl and hawk on top of some small black bird decoys .
Got them off of amazon 'halloween decorations' .
I could hear them about 200-300 yards away they came straight in but wouldn't land with foxpro playing young crow distress - switched to crow fight and down into the trees they came .
I was standing behind a fallen tree that was being held up by another tree , stood at a height where I had a good rest for shooting . CZ Style 22lr suppressed wold match ammo ran through my Neil Waltz hollow pointer die doo-dad .. BIG ole hollow point and shoots tiny groups at 50 yards - sighted in at 40 yards .
First shot about 20 yards 25' up - not a twitch straight to the ground - they flew but came and landed again within 30 seconds , 30 yards - treetop 50ish' high , dead hung in tree .
I was plucking some of the feathers to doll-up my decoys [which I did later] when I heard some noise - it was the second crow falling out of the treetop , thought a sasquatch running up on me .
'
Packed up drove about 1.5-2 miles saw some crows in a private land field turned around went back 1/4 mile to public land lane - set up again aimed the foxpro towards the crows and hit the handcalls . Shot two more out of the trees at similar ranges , just stood behind a tree - they never did see me that I know of because they flew right over me time and again but wouldn't land .
2 of their Komrads laying face down in the leaves .

Camera had freshly charged rechargeable batteries - only the light would come on - batteries are shot . So no pics this time .

Multi-tasking while deer/predator scouting .

Please like - subscribe comment and Rick will send me a check - smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I tried the Foxpro crow fight call one time being bored in a Texas box blind...in short order I knew how that gal on Alfred Hitchcocks "The Birds" in the phone booth felt! I swear I thought they were gonna mob me, and there were over 100 of them!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I remember that old movie - pretty scary back in the day .

Yeah I have two crow in distress sounds , + crow gathering , they don't work as well as ''crow fight'' . Use it along with some hand-calling - get crazy like your trying to blow out the reed and that will bring them back and get them to land .
I 22-250 one here and there , 40gr. V-max case full of Varget - 26'' barrel really does the trick .

I've used a crow decoy on coyote/bobcat stands sure doesn't hurt . I've noticed how often a crow is the first thing to make it to a calling stand and if it doesn't spot you it'll hang around . I think that eases the mind of a coyote .

Last edited by ol_mike; 11/24/20.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Here in Montana its the magpie. Magpies have a symbiotic relationship with coyotes and often come in together, but more often the magpies come in first...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Yep saw that when I lived in Idaho .

Posted by Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Love to call crows! Shotgun them on the wing, modified choke and a decent trap load of 7.5 shot hammers them.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1/4 oz of #5 or #6 lead over a max charge of Bluedot. We have killed into the triple digits on many days. Our best stand was 54 birds. They kept coming in for close to 20 mins. It is very important to kill the first crow that comes in.

CK
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I've never had much luck shotgunning usually got just a couple then they stayed way out of range .

Heard and read of guys pounding them - bird after bird .
After the initial shooting I tried different sounds and stayed for 40 minutes once and 30min. a couple of times - no more birds .

I've killed quite a few with my pellet gun - that's fun but too much movement to reload .

Good stories on CrowBusters back in the day Bob somebody? gotter'done .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bob Aronsohn

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MOGC
Bob Aronsohn

That's him ..
I'd love to have a shoot or three like i've read about - and seen the crows piled up .

Some lads had a great set-up quite a while back on utube , white sheets wrapped over a fallen tree on a hillside , all white everything , snow on the ground . Only thing not white was all the dead crows .

Posted by Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They make so much noise, they can’t hear a suppressed 22. I’ve killed a dozen of them out of the window at the house. Tons of fun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 2,968 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.