Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I call it Arkansas-ing them. Not swatting

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by deflave
Congrats on killing a duck.

It is a big one. My heart was racing when it swam by.

Hahahaha

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

You water-swatted it? Nice Redhead anyway. I was wondering where they went. Didn't figure them to be that far south by now.

I have an Old Towne 14' Predator that I use for skinny water. Scull with it too. Good boats.

This sucker had a lot of fat on it. I doubt it's been here long.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Were you wearing your spandex?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Hahaha. Good one Paul

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Were you wearing your spandex?

I used my paddle yak rather than my pedal yak on this hunt, so no.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Paul,

What kind of Yak do you use, I’m going to get something to chase down birds with, and hunt solo but I’m thinking either a yak, or getting a four rivers boat.

they Ascend H12 seems to be a really good rig at the right price.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/25/20.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Paul,

What kind of Yak do you use, I’m going to get something to chase down birds with, and hunt solo but I’m thinking either a yak, or getting a four rivers boat.

they Ascend H12 seems to be a really good rig at the right price.

If all you are doing is chasing them down, any kayak will do. You may prefer a small one if you are going to transport it in a larger vessel. I think those Ascend kayaks really hit a sweet spot in terms of price and performance. You can't really go wrong with one unless you are paddling really long distances.

When water depth and weeds permit, I take my Native Slayer Propel 10. When hunting smaller backwaters it's my Old Town Vapor 10. It is super light and lends itself well to duck hunting. It paddle pretty darn fast too.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I hunt with a 18 ft lund with a beavertail blind on it, and will need to tow, or carry a yak on it for bird chasing on bigger water.

I’ll look to see if there are smaller ascends.. but the H12 seems like it could do either, the other boat I’m looking at is a four rivers navigator, which can be towed, and also used as a marsh sneak boat, but makes a crappy kayak.. but the kayak is the least of the priorities, a duck chaser, and sneak boat are high up on the priority list so that H12 sure looks good.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I hunt with a 18 ft lund with a beavertail blind on it, and will need to tow, or carry a yak on it for bird chasing on bigger water.

I’ll look to see if there are smaller ascends.. but the H12 seems like it could do either, the other boat I’m looking at is a four rivers navigator, which can be towed, and also used as a marsh sneak boat, but makes a crappy kayak.. but the kayak is the least of the priorities, a duck chaser, and sneak boat are high up on the priority list so that H12 sure looks good.

It will be appreciably easier climbing into an SOT rather than sit in when entering from a boat. Does your boat have a swim platform?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

the alaskan will foot in about 8” of water so we basically beach it in the weeds and step out on ladders.

The issue is we often tuck up to the land with the wind blowing across the lake so if a bird is out a bit the wind takes it pretty quick.
The only way to get it is to take the boat, or have a chase boat...

I can actually take the Alaskan into marshes, it’s a hell of a rig - 3 guys about 4 feet apart, each guy with a buddy heater, and I have a campchief oven I make biscuits and gravy on... Spoiled to the gills.

But I hate it when a duck gets to far out and we loose it so ... chase boat is something I want to do if possible.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

the alaskan will foot in about 8” of water so we basically beach it in the weeds and step out on ladders.

The issue is we often tuck up to the land with the wind blowing across the lake so if a bird is out a bit the wind takes it pretty quick.
The only way to get it is to take the boat, or have a chase boat...

I can actually take the Alaskan into marshes, it’s a hell of a rig - 3 guys about 4 feet apart, each guy with a buddy heater, and I have a campchief oven I make biscuits and gravy on... Spoiled to the gills.

But I hate it when a duck gets to far out and we loose it so ... chase boat is something I want to do if possible.

An ascend SOT sounds perfect for that.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Them redheads taste any good down there? We killed several in south dakota a few years ago and they were mallard-like. Just wondering if they get fishy in the brackish water?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was wondering what shooting a 12 ga. from the side of a kayak would be like.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

😆😆😆

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Them redheads taste any good down there? We killed several in south dakota a few years ago and they were mallard-like. Just wondering if they get fishy in the brackish water?

This one was very mild. It was probably a new arrival. After ducks have been rooting weeds out of the mud for a couple weeks they get pretty gamey.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 11/26/20.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
I was wondering what shooting a 12 ga. from the side of a kayak would be like.

That's going to depend on the kayak. I go to places where I can get out of the yak. A bud and I were sitting sideways in a pirogue blind and rolled ourselves when we shot at the same time. I wouldn't shoot sideways in my Vapor. I wouldn't hesitate to in my Slayer Propel.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,435
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.