Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I justed wanted to take minute and thank everyone who chimed in and tried to help out. Here's how it played out.

I ended up deploying for Wildland Fire Medical Support and got back one week ago from Oregon.

I purchased the Marmot Tungsten Ultralight 3 Person tent. I was unable to get the Footprint, which I think is a good idea for insurance, but it was out stock.

The tent arrived the day before I left, via 2 day shipping. They shipped it pretty quickly. The first time I set the tent up was in the dark. I was able to get it together, without issues. There was one piece of tent pole that was about 6-8" long, not sure what that is for ?

It was helpful that I brought a hammer, not only to pound in the stakes, but more importantly, to get them out of the ground. I am glad I got the 3 Person and not the 2 person, so that I had room not only, for me but also for my two duffel bags. The tent is light weight and has nice features. It worked out fine. It is a 2 season tent, I guess at some point I may find out how it does in colder, snowier, windier conditions. But, for the money, it fit the need perfectly so far. I do recommend it.

N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good choice but a three season tent. Here is a good deal on a four season tent, https://www.sierra.com/the-north-face-alpine-guide-tent-3-person-4-season~p~985pr/?filterString=tents~d~228%2F I would be tempted to snag one of these while you can for severe weather.

Not sure if you can add another vestibule or not looks like enough room for boots only on the small side.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/tents-and-bivys/bombshelter-tent-BD810010.html

Used one on Adak for 2 weeks in 50mph+ wind and rain and on McKinley for a month in wind and cold. Can't say enough good things about it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Last edited by kk alaska; 11/23/20.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
From the UK?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ad seems to be written by a Chinaman....

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Chinese Pomoly Hex plus tent arrived tonight 6 days after I ordered it, set it up mid 20,s and snowing.

Put my stove in it and 5 minutes later about 50 F, material seems nice, seam sealed, well vented, and reflective on the inside so not much light to make it bright in side.

Should work for boat camping and mild winter camping.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by kk alaska; 11/30/20.

kk alaska

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

kk alaska

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the review!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve mostly used hilleberg tents. They are bombproof and last for years, I’ve never had issues with their durability and I’ve sat through some nasty storms while sheep and goat hunting.

I prefer the free standing models, I have a soulo (1 person) and an allak (2 person), both are free standing. They are a bit heavy but it’s nice to be able to not even worry about the tent making it through a blow down.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

Marmot makes good gear that you can count on to perform well in extreme conditiions. Take a look at this Marmot Fortress tent.
Marmot Fortress
It weighs 5# 9oz., and has good reviews but I haven't personall y used it. Only two poles???? Is it really a 4-season tent???

I use Marmot products, had very good luck with them.
I have the Marmot Limestone tent, it's a 6 person pig weighing in at 17+ pounds.
It has its place and time, built tuff, lots of heavy fabric reinforcement, no failures.
I've had it in 50 and 60mph gusts, it blows flat a bit but stays intact and pops back as the gusts subside.
Probably wouldn't do that of I had all the tie downs in place that its D ringed up for

Pretty good midrange tent at about 400 bucks.

That tent you posted the link to that you use is badazzed. I bet it doesn't mind the wind.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by kk alaska

those tents looks great, really like the 'baker' style

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Jeff was pretty windy last night and the TP style did well. It should work well for my uses.

kk alaska

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

You install the stove jack yourself? never mind. saw that included

Last edited by ribka; 12/01/20.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ribka it came that way Just got it yesterday and set it up. Only extra option was half inner tent. Kurt

https://www.pomoly.com/HEX-Plus-Camping-Hot-Tent-with-Wood-Stove-Jack-4-6-Person-p379436.html

kk alaska

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ribka it came that way Just got it yesterday and set it up. Only extra option was half inner tent. Kurt

https://www.pomoly.com/HEX-Plus-Camping-Hot-Tent-with-Wood-Stove-Jack-4-6-Person-p379436.html

thanks. Looks like a good tent.A bit heavy for a pack in tent though

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have LW tents wanted one for boating and camping off the road here in Alaska

kk alaska

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw some weird trends in tents while camping in Montana this past summer. Seen about 6 different camps using those quick popup Ice Fishing tents, they seemed valid, pretty tuff and easy to setup but no floors.
What was totally new to me were the Roof Top tents, they were every where.
I had to look them up to see what they cost, they ring in at anywhere from a grand to $2500.00!
I doubt I'll be sleeping in one of those anytime soon, I'm thinking they will be a passing trend.

[Linked Image from s3.amazonaws.com]

[Linked Image from cdn.coolofthewild.com]

[Linked Image from 4wheelparts.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Get the the VE-25 or the Guide. Very strong, roomy design that has survived many climbing trips and hunts in severe winter conditions.

Mountain Hardwear VE-3 (6.5lb) or the ACI (7.3lb) single wall 4 season. Best in freezing environments.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m in the same boat as other posters

Tough to have a light weight 4 season tent, it’s sorta like the quest for light weight, durable, breathable, completely impervious to rain, rain gear. It doesn’t exist.

I’ve spent 42 days at a time, longest for me, living in a tent. The arctic ovens were by far the most warm & comfortable, but as mentioned heavy. The cabelas guide tents didn’t hold up to high winds as the eureka tents we had, all 4-6 man for two clients. Also the high sided arctic ovens had to be tucked firmly in the brush to hold up to the storms that blew through. Don’t know the wind speeds, but it sailed a 12’ raft w floorboards & a 15 hp motor off the beach back into the brush prolly 20-30 yards. Those nights were tough staying up to re-guy & restake all the tents.

Trying to stay outa the $1000 tent arena, of all the suggestions I’ve seen so far as your best compromise for your needs/desires, my vote goes to the ve-25. Mine came w 2 flys iirc making it both a ve-24 & 25 🤷🏻‍♂️ They used to run around $525 new, but I’m almost sure to have gone up in price.

You won’t get the two exits unless they’ve changed things, but on the 25 version you have a big door & ample vestibule. It’s heaven for space for one guy & not uncomfortable for two. Plenty of guys & stakes & the yellow color makes things seem brighter & more cheery when sitting out storms. Good luck on your quest

But based on what I’ve read the TNF ve-25 should be a strong contender

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
277 members (160user, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.