Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
john39 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
On reality of deer hunting is that as you age, it becomes more difficult to do things you once never even thought about...

While I love hunting from my API Grand Slam Magnum (super comfortable) tree stand, at 32 lbs, it is becoming more difficult to carry into and out of the woods...

A few years back, I had someone attempt to steal my two man ladder stand (only got away with the bottom section of the ladder which is annoying), so I refuse to leave anything easily accessible in the woods, especially on public land...

*I have had one ladder stand stolen and the bottom section of another stolen both on private land*

So I am thinking about future possibilities including the use of lower cost hang on / lock on stands (that I can leave on the tree) with a climbing stick that I can remove and pack with me...the issue is that several of the climbing sticks I have been seeing weighs nearly as much as that API climbing stand...

Has anyone tried this technique on public land? Is there a good, safe but lightweight set of climbing sticks that can be used this way?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have an aluminum stick ladder, but I've had
a steel one too. After you walk far enough, they
weigh about the same.
Maybe get you some steps?

As far as public lands, you can't count on
things not getting stolen. The best I could
ever do was make sure my name was on
everything I brought with me to a public
hunting area in case the law found whatever
got gone and maybe I could get it back.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I tried this route with lone wolf sticks and a lightweight hang-on stand. It wasn’t for me, too cumbersome trying to keep all the pieces quiet moving through the woods and wasn’t as comfortable for long sits. Went back to a Summit Viper aluminum stand and very happy that I did.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use a variation of this style of ladder on public land. They are very light and easily strap to a back pack.

[Linked Image from ]

I only remove the lower sections up high enough that they can’t reach them.

I’ve tried every iteration of stick ladder and found at least for me the multi section individual piece type to serve me the best.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have gone to drilling all my trees and using the Warren Womack method of 6 inch grade 8 bolts and I remove them when I leave my stand. Up here where I live we can drill trees on public land. I also have a set of buck steps strap on tree steps. So far I haven’t lost a stand and I’ve got a bunch of them out on public land. If they want them, they’ll have to work for them!

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.