Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by copperking81
Do those that hoard just not shoot what they hoard? As in they buy it, hold on to it, and never shoot it? I get the sense that is not uncommon with the "hoarders", which to me is irrational.

If you looked at my stash, you'd probably think I'm a hoarder but I don't consider myself one. I shoot a lot and keep inventory to ride out spikes in short demand. I'll say that this shortage has changed my shooting habits though, because I don't know when the insanity will end.

I'm also not opposed to selling off what I've got. When 500rd boxes of 9mm NATO are going for over $400... hard not to pass that up.

Not a hoarder. I just stock up against shortages, regardless of cause, because 1) I like to shoot, and 2) I might need it. When there's no shortage, I shoot a lot. During shortages, I shoot a good bit less, despite having lots of ammo, because you can't replace what you shoot anymore.

It's just like the Mormon thing of maintaining a stockpile of canned and dry foods, and once you have x amount, you start using the oldest first, and then replace it, always maintaining the same amount in storage. It's just called wisdom, in my book. Not hoarding. Think of the old fable of the ant and the grasshopper.

[Linked Image from dltk-teach.com]

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have the opportunity to buy a large quantity of 22 caliber ammo, federal, Aguila. This individual Purchased over 100,000 rounds in 2016.He offered me 25K at $45 per 500 brick. I took him up on his offer, am I considered a hoarder now? I have no plans on reselling only to friends if they need it for the price I paid. I have a pretty good stash of 22 ammo but I just felt I couldn’t pass this up.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Then you have the hoarders (who think the 10,000 rounds in their closet isn't enough) .

For somebody who shoots 200 rounds a week, 10k wouldn't last a year.

Not talking about those guys. They are extremely rare. I'm talking about Bubba, who doesn't shoot a 30 rounds a year, but buys it just in case.....

Well, it’s easy to dream up an imaginary character to support your arguments, ain’t it?

They're not imaginary characters.

renegade50 (not that I care, just using him as an example) posts on here about rounding up 9mm all the time.

He's a recreational shooter. He's not shooting three USPSA matches a month and practicing in between.

He buys it to buy it. And there are thousands of renengades out there.

Maybe, maybe not, but how much effect those guys have on the overall situation now is debatable. A year ago ammo was cheap and plentiful. If renegade and others like him hadn’t bought what they did then, do you really think that ammo would really be still on the shelf? Doubtful. More likely it’d be on GB for $2 a round. Those guys plan for this stuff.

About a year ago I bought my first 9mm. Bought some Fiocchi ball, liked it, and bought some of their HPs as well. When I went to buy some more ball for practice, it wasn’t available, so I started looking for something else, and definitely didn’t want to buy dollar a pop premium for that. Only ball I could find was 1,000 round packs of Winchester white box, so I ordered one. Would of settled for a few 50-round boxes, but there weren’t any. Out of curiousness, I checked that source soon after, and it was gone, maybe to someone like me, but just as likely to someone hoping to flip it, or maybe renegade50. In that case to buy what I needed, I had to buy more than I needed, and buy it I did.

Uhhh, what?

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still got the chuckles about this topic. Separating the haves from have nots isn’t difficult. I’ve done my share to help those without, but admit I’m not their Savior. Learned something from the idiot presidents we’ve had in the ‘92-‘16 timeline I did. Bought a couple boxes of ammo for a LCP about 18 years ago and a couple bricks of SK .22 LR maybe 5 years ago that complimented previously purchased RF ammo. Don’t plink with the WRF shooter or the WMR....or the rest for that matter. I do kill stuff, repeatedly, and know which rifle does what, and how far etc. Haven’t purchased any CF ammo other than for the LCP in over 20 years, including scattergun fodder.

My inventory of brass, bullets, powder and lead will last for decades. I live in a region that likely has more firearms per capita than Ft. Bragg and near 100% of the owners are staunch conservatives. Most of them are veterans, older men and some ladies you don’t want to irritate. A great many are reloaders and have flush inventories such as mine. We will help the younger kids who have not yet learned about life’s pitfalls.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BamBam
I have the opportunity to buy a large quantity of 22 caliber ammo, federal, Aguila. This individual Purchased over 100,000 rounds in 2016.He offered me 25K at $45 per 500 brick. I took him up on his offer, am I considered a hoarder now? I have no plans on reselling only to friends if they need it for the price I paid. I have a pretty good stash of 22 ammo but I just felt I couldn’t pass this up.

boy did you get reamed.

Sam......

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Then you have the hoarders (who think the 10,000 rounds in their closet isn't enough) .

For somebody who shoots 200 rounds a week, 10k wouldn't last a year.

Not talking about those guys. They are extremely rare. I'm talking about Bubba, who doesn't shoot a 30 rounds a year, but buys it just in case.....

Well, it’s easy to dream up an imaginary character to support your arguments, ain’t it?

They're not imaginary characters.

renegade50 (not that I care, just using him as an example) posts on here about rounding up 9mm all the time.

He's a recreational shooter. He's not shooting three USPSA matches a month and practicing in between.

He buys it to buy it. And there are thousands of renengades out there.

Maybe, maybe not, but how much effect those guys have on the overall situation now is debatable. A year ago ammo was cheap and plentiful. If renegade and others like him hadn’t bought what they did then, do you really think that ammo would really be still on the shelf? Doubtful. More likely it’d be on GB for $2 a round. Those guys plan for this stuff.

About a year ago I bought my first 9mm. Bought some Fiocchi ball, liked it, and bought some of their HPs as well. When I went to buy some more ball for practice, it wasn’t available, so I started looking for something else, and definitely didn’t want to buy dollar a pop premium for that. Only ball I could find was 1,000 round packs of Winchester white box, so I ordered one. Would of settled for a few 50-round boxes, but there weren’t any. Out of curiousness, I checked that source soon after, and it was gone, maybe to someone like me, but just as likely to someone hoping to flip it, or maybe renegade50. In that case to buy what I needed, I had to buy more than I needed, and buy it I did.

Uhhh, what?

LOL

Go RenFiddy!

LOL

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

boy did you get reamed.

I hope they used KY on you

LOL

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

boy did you get reamed.

I hope they used KY on you

LOL

I don’t think so, I could always sell it on GunBroker for twice with what I paid for it....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, let me explain it again for the IPA crowd....

r50 and his sort didn’t make this mess, politics and the Plague did. Their little piles wouldn’t make a tiny dent in current demand. On the other hand, Cheaper Than Dirt has lots of ammo for sale, at 3 or 4 times regular price. You can speculate that they went all out to find ammo for their customers and paid a high price for it, or you can use your head and remember that they scalped ammo the same way in the past, and laid in a bunch for the crisis they knew was coming so they could make a huge profit by fugging their customers again.

I’m picking door number 2, and bet their stockpiles have a far greater impact on the problem than the ammo junkies and Walmart scroungers.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by copperking81
Do those that hoard just not shoot what they hoard? As in they buy it, hold on to it, and never shoot it? I get the sense that is not uncommon with the "hoarders", which to me is irrational.

If you looked at my stash, you'd probably think I'm a hoarder but I don't consider myself one. I shoot a lot and keep inventory to ride out spikes in short demand. I'll say that this shortage has changed my shooting habits though, because I don't know when the insanity will end.

I'm also not opposed to selling off what I've got. When 500rd boxes of 9mm NATO are going for over $400... hard not to pass that up.

Not a hoarder. I just stock up against shortages, regardless of cause, because 1) I like to shoot, and 2) I might need it. When there's no shortage, I shoot a lot. During shortages, I shoot a good bit less, despite having lots of ammo, because you can't replace what you shoot anymore.

It's just like the Mormon thing of maintaining a stockpile of canned and dry foods, and once you have x amount, you start using the oldest first, and then replace it, always maintaining the same amount in storage. It's just called wisdom, in my book. Not hoarding. Think of the old fable of the ant and the grasshopper.

[Linked Image from dltk-teach.com]

I'd place you in the same category that I place myself.... the ammo we have will be used. It's just a matter of time.

I'm just curious how many are hoarding ammo they'll never actually shoot.

Case in point, I have an acquaintance who never shoots, now all of a sudden wants to pile up ammo and guns. They're convinced that violence is an inevitability. They'll never shoot what they purchase though and frankly, I'd be surprised if they even hit the range once. I'd be surprised if they could even perform the basic operations needed to use their guns, under admin range conditions, let alone under the duress of a life threatening situation.

That example of hoarding is irrational to me and I'm just curious how wide spread that is. And I'm not even saying I have a problem with it... I just don't understand it.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Picking up a box or two as the budget allows works for me. Buying some fishing lures...pick up a box of ammo while I'm here. Checking on camping stuff...add another box. Sometimes you can find a good deal here and there.

I know it's cheaper in the long run to buy larger quantities at discount. The larger initial outlay of cash is a concern too.

Whatever path someone chooses doesn't change the fact for me is I don't want to pay black market prices at a retail establishment.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by duck911
No issues here in Northern Colorado. . . .
Powder, primers, etc are all pretty readily available.

Who is selling primers by the brick? Thanks.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No issues here in Northern Colorado. . . .

Who is selling primers by the brick? Thanks.

He's full of [bleep]. FYI

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
was no shortage at my house...

but I gave it all away since Biden got 'elected'... along with KalamamaDingDong...

Gave the few guns I had to the local PD to destroy and am now a DemocRAT....

Took down the Trump Flag, and put a Rainbow LBGTxwyz Flag in the front yard...

dyed my wife's poodle's hair pink....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always thought civilian ammo was just a byproduct of military ammo manufacture. Could it be that so much ammo being manufactured for military purpose is putting civilian ammo on the back burner?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No issues here in Northern Colorado. I don't buy factory ammo but anything I WOULD buy is generally in stock, with a few box limit.

My household shoots...... A LOT. But we have no problem buying more components than we shoot.

^^^Full of fugking schit. ^^^

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ROFLMAO

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Around here there's more toilet paper than ammo. Which is saying much since we're lucky to see the generic two ply.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O

200 bricks at $45 a piece is $9,000 in 22 ammo. Yo can almost get a new Barrett for that.

I hope he's careful with the BBQ.

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Since the prudent accumulation of ammunition/components is not only wise, but laudable, why do so many people feel the need to spend so much time defending it?

Because this is the internet.

[Linked Image from imgs.xkcd.com]

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

472 members (160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 37 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,229
Posts18,447,718
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.