Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From my new FIL, years before I started reloading:
"Save your brass, you can reload it some day."

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Learned by guess and by golly. Paid attention to the Lyman manual. Didn’t know anyone to get tips from. The inna net was still 30 years in the future for me. Lot of the tips posted here I learned along the way and they are mostly fundamental methodology for me.

The small mistakes I made learning from books and doing myself don't come close to some of the B/S I've seen on the internet.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Pull the decapper pin on your resizing die when resizing, then reinstall and size neck on down stroke instead of up.

For some reason I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Can you explain further?

What he means is remove the expander ball for the sizing operation, then install and push the sized neck over the expander ball. Pushing instead of pulling over the ball can reduce runout but it is an extra step.

Thank you, you explained it the way I should have.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am a novice reloader at most, but found out two things real quick, both of which have already been mentioned:

Keep one damn type of powder at the bench and/or in the hopper at a time. One, not two. ONE.

Load density matters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Always visually check the powder level in each case.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When load testing, if two shot are not together shooting another won't make them better.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Barsness’ article on loading for the 7x57.

Trust the chronograph and not the book.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pull the decapper pin on your resizing die when resizing, then reinstall and size neck on down stroke instead of up.

For some reason I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Can you explain further?

What he means is remove the expander ball for the sizing operation, then install and push the sized neck over the expander ball. Pushing instead of pulling over the ball can reduce runout but it is an extra step.

Some graphite on case necks makes things run a lot smoother

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I feel like I shouldn't have to ask, being a reloader for 25+ years, but how does doing this in 2 steps with the same die rather than in one step with said die, end up in improved ammo? Am I missing something? 🤔

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by Spud
When loading 38 Specials w/Bullseye in a loading block, double check powder drops 6 times...

Never use shotgun powder in non shotguns !

Dont be a cheap f~ck !

Joking I hope. You've neve loaded Unique, Red Dot, Blue Dot , American Select, etc in handguns? Please.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
pointy end up.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by las
pointy end up.

Well, except for hollow-base wadcutters loaded backwards for self-defense. (Of course, they didn't have a pointy end to start with, so I guess that is moot.)

Last edited by 5sdad; 11/26/20.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

I feel like I shouldn't have to ask, being a reloader for 25+ years, but how does doing this in 2 steps with the same die rather than in one step with said die, end up in improved ammo? Am I missing something? 🤔

I too could use additional explanation. Does the metal sizing of the case body work against that of the neck if done in one step? In either case, the expander ball has to go both in, and out, and would size on the in stroke, then maybe modify this on the outstroke in one-step, but not on 2 step?

Last edited by las; 11/26/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jimy: I agree with you on the wonderfulness of Imperial Sizing Wax (I think its called Redding Sizing Wax now?).
But the MOST "sage advice" I ever got was from my reloading and Varminting friend Steve, nearly 50 years ago when he said (and would often repeat) these words - "reloading causes questions"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More primers will end up in the primer tray with a straw below the shell holder

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Now that is a good idea 700LH....Thanks for that!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
+1.....hate stepping on spent primers.....in socks.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
Now that is a good idea 700LH....Thanks for that!

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las

I too could use additional explanation. Does the metal sizing of the case body work against that of the neck if done in one step? In either case, the expander ball has to go both in, and out, and would size on the in stroke, then maybe modify this on the outstroke in one-step, but not on 2 step?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...for-mule-deer-from-gun-gack#Post13815652

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
1. Keep your head in the game.

2. Start low -- work up slow.

3. If you want a 300 win mag, buy one instead of hot-rodding your 30-06.

Last edited by the_shootist; 11/26/20.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Never grind on metal parts in a vice attached to your reloading table. Lost an eyebrow like that. Thought we had gotten nuked by Russia

LMFAO!!

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 35 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,081
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.