Print Thread
Hop To
P
pdman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Hey All...My Golden Boy suffered a somewhat Barrel Failure this A.M...see pic..4 22LR rim BLOW OUTS..After getting a facefull of gas,,,, Thank GOD i was wearing safety shooting glasses..i fired 3 more at arms length..same results...u can see in pic a piece of the bbl is missing...ammo was ELEY FORCE 42gr..new manufacture...YES...I tried it in another Henry
I own...Henry Evil Roy 22LR..no problems....
I am awaiting a response from Henry..
Pete
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm sure they will be very interested. They should also take care of you.
Glad you're ok.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Looking at the barrel, is that a too deep extractor cut?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pdman
Hey All...My Golden Boy suffered a somewhat Barrel Failure this A.M...see pic..4 22LR rim BLOW OUTS..After getting a facefull of gas,,,, Thank GOD i was wearing safety shooting glasses..i fired 3 more at arms length..same results...u can see in pic a piece of the bbl is missing...ammo was ELEY FORCE 42gr..new manufacture...YES...I tried it in another Henry
I own...Henry Evil Roy 22LR..no problems....
I am awaiting a response from Henry..
Pete
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Photo quality is so poor that it is hard to tell, but it appears that the outside of the barrel has been abused in that area.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I don't know about abused. I would assume the gas made it that dirty

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Good Luck with Henry doing anything about it. I had one that was never right and they would not fix. Sent it in twice. Finally sent down the road.

P
pdman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
HEY ALL....HENRY has sent word to me that they will replace my rifle...gave me my choice of 22LR model...I opted for the 24" Frontier...will set it up for cowboy lever action silhouette matches at my club...four week wait for it to ship out to me....
Pete

Last edited by pdman; 11/25/20. Reason: add'l info
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Good deal

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My little Henry issue was resolved very quickly with no issues
I'd give them 10 stars

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sort of odd that the steel barrel failed when it is the receiver that is made of pot metal.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
manufacturing defect.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by saddlegun
Sort of odd that the steel barrel failed when it is the receiver that is made of pot metal.

I re-read this with a little chagrin. I have to admit that it seems an unfair assessment.

I would like to revise my opinion.

Henry does indeed use zinc-aluminum alloy for the action cover/upper receiver, and for the inner receiver as well. Something to consider is that the receiver cover is not simply a cosmetic overlay. It also is the upper stock tang.

The gun is easy to disassemble and reassemble, and uses large diameter steel pins for the steel lever to rotate on and for the spring-loaded locking block to pivot on.
The large surface area of the locking bolt pin better distributes the bolt thrust forces to the receiver. All of the pins are easy to remove and to reinstall without using force to drive them out.

And not all ZA alloys are cheap pot metal and brittle.

Lee valley tools for instance uses ZA-12 alloy to make a number of woodworking tools, and the lever caps on several of their VERITAS hand planes use this alloy.

ZA-12 is characterized by excellent tensile and compressive strength, but like all alloys like this it, I think that it lacks the ability to form female threads that are as strong as are grey or ductile cast iron, and certainly not as strong as hardened brass or most steels. LVT does warn in their instructions that you should not over-tighten the lever cap tensioning knobs, which have steel or brass threaded shanks that screw into the lever caps. I have found that the ZA-12 parts on the planes that I own are certainly adequate for a lifetime if not abused.

ZA-12 is 86.5% zinc, 11.5% aluminum, 1.2% copper, less than 1% of trace other metals, and has 40,000 PSI of tensile strength.

Henry rim-fire lever action rifles, however, use ZA-5 alloy, which is 95 % zinc, 3.9% aluminum, 1% copper, and .1% of trace other metals. It has 48,000 PSI tensile strength.

The copper adds strength but reduces ductility. ZA-5 has more tensile strength, but less impact resistance than the most common ZA alloy, ZA-3.

ZA-12 would probably be a better alloy to use because of the greater aluminum content, but is probably more expensive.

While all ZA or ZAMAK alloys might be called "pot metal", actual pot metal is very impure and brittle, because of low pressure die casting and contamination. It was never intended for anything but pretty much decorative and low-stress castings.

So, while a primarily aluminum alloy would be better, like A380, that Ruger uses for the Wrangler cylinder frame, I think that ZA-5 is a pretty good metal to build a low cost .22 rifle receiver out of, as long as that rifle is engineered with the alloy limitations taken into account.

And, as long as you are careful not to strip the threads when you tighten the screws.
Henry uses star lock washers on the action cover/upper receiver to facilitate this.

Last edited by saddlegun; 05/05/21.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Isn't the Golden Boys receiver made of "Brasslite"?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by tmitch
Isn't the Golden Boys receiver made of "Brasslite"?

From all references that I found when searching the internet, "Brasslite" is simply the name that Henry gives to the same ZA-5 alloy when it is plated with brass.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know why they don't just make the receiver out of brass.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
749 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 87 invisible), 2,790 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.