Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Keeping accurate records. I tell people just getting into reloading to write everything down in a ledger. Caliber, bullet info, powder, primer, case info, number of rounds, dies used, reasons for that load, date, year, intended gun, etc. I also add results , good or bad, after I've had a chance to try the load. Each load is assigned a matching number and info sticker on the box.
My first reload was lot # 38-1 shooting 125gr jsp with 4.4 gr of bull's-eye 5/10/1972.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never have more than one powder container open on the bench at a time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First, you take your .280 cases...

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by blindshooter

The small mistakes I made learning from books and doing myself don't come close to some of the B/S I've seen on the internet.

^ ^ ^ this ^

Buncha poopoo posted online that unfortunately,
a lot of new reloaders see and embrace.
Especially on yoofloob. Big buncha poopoo on yoofloob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was shortening 357 mag brass for super high pressure tests in 38 special chambers.
The late gunsmith and experimenter Randy Ketchem asked me, "Why? 38 Special brass is plenty strong."
I realized immediately that the 357 mag brass longer case web is superfluous.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Kiss the lands

Find pressure

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by copperking81
Ditch the expander ball and use mandrels (or Lee Collet).

This^^, I went the body die/collet die route, but now use mandrels.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nearly full case of powder...with one that flows well....check the weight.....then throw, throw, throw.....

Yesterday, 308W with 748....desired weight was 50.5grains....Checked charges went from spot on to +/- 0.2grains on the high and low end....Wasted time even checking the ones I did....

Last edited by battue; 11/26/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Pull the decapper pin on your resizing die when resizing, then reinstall and size neck on down stroke instead of up.

For some reason I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Can you explain further?

What he means is remove the expander ball for the sizing operation, then install and push the sized neck over the expander ball. Pushing instead of pulling over the ball can reduce runout but it is an extra step.

Thank you, you explained it the way I should have.

I feel like I shouldn't have to ask, being a reloader for 25+ years, but how does doing this in 2 steps with the same die rather than in one step with said die, end up in improved ammo? Am I missing something? 🤔

Properly executed in two steps the case is sized on the up stroke and the neck expanded in same fashion. Do not use a full stroke with the expander. Just enough to pass through then withdraw. Doing so minimizes case distortion the asymmetric forces associated with the shell holder geometry cause.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Beaglemaster
Keeping accurate records. I tell people just getting into reloading to write everything down in a ledger. Caliber, bullet info, powder, primer, case info, number of rounds, dies used, reasons for that load, date, year, intended gun, etc. I also add results , good or bad, after I've had a chance to try the load. Each load is assigned a matching number and info sticker on the box.
My first reload was lot # 38-1 shooting 125gr jsp with 4.4 gr of bull's-eye 5/10/1972.

What did that get you?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Gives me something to work with. For example, I've got three rifles chambered in 44 mag. Each one seems works better with something a little different. Sometimes the loads are just for a different purposes, plinking vs hunting loads. Between revolver and rifle load I've got 15-20 different 44 mag loads on the shelves.
Working up an accuracy load the book goes with me to the range so I know what I'm shooting.
Had to move my gun shop recently, found stuff I reloaded 30 years ago. I'm in the process of shooting up some of the old stuff now just to clean up my inventory, dug out my old books to see what I was shooting.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Beaglemaster
Gives me something to work with. For example, I've got three rifles chambered in 44 mag. Each one seems works better with something a little different. Sometimes the loads are just for a different purposes, plinking vs hunting loads. Between revolver and rifle load I've got 15-20 different 44 mag loads on the shelves.
Working up an accuracy load the book goes with me to the range so I know what I'm shooting.
Had to move my gun shop recently, found stuff I reloaded 30 years ago. I'm in the process of shooting up some of the old stuff now just to clean up my inventory, dug out my old books to see what I was shooting.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Properly executed in two steps the case is sized on the up stroke and the neck expanded in same fashion. Do not use a full stroke with the expander. Just enough to pass through then withdraw. Doing so minimizes case distortion the asymmetric forces associated with the shell holder geometry cause.

I'm sure that works fine. But I've found that lubing the inside of the neck of a case greatly reduces the drag as it's pulled back over the expander. I usually scratch the case against the lube pad every 5 or 6 cases to scoop a little dab of case lube into the neck. One application of lube to the inside of the case neck will deposit enough lube on the expander to keep it slick for 5 or 6 cases and prevents the case from stretching as much as it's pulled over the expander.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Agreed, very little enjoyment in record keeping itself, however with an ultimate goal of improving accuracy and effectiveness, I consider this information a vital part of the reloading process.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mark every case with number of times fired both before and after. For example a new case gets a 0/1. Next time 1/2, etc.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Toss that collet thingy that comes with an impact bullet puller and use a shell holder instead. Faster and easier.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktail308
Toss that collet thingy that comes with an impact bullet puller and use a shell holder instead. Faster and easier.

Whoah, really? Gotta try that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Blacktail308

Whoah, really? Gotta try that.

Huh! Why didn't I think of that....

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Never have more than one powder container open on the bench at a time.

This one has come up a bunch of times. Nother vote.

I once many years ago added some 3031 to a powder hopper with an inch of 2400 in it and proceeded to load a couple dozen rounds of .30-30. Couldn't figure out why they were so loud and hitting so high on the target!

Marlin 336 action is mighty.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
By far the best reloading advice I ever got was to get a progressive loader!

Shooting in excess of a 1000 rounds a week, it made short work of reloading.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.