E
None, only a first year Smith M610.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
NONE at all.

Unfortunately I can remember 2-3 I wish I could have bought back.
1. 760 Pump that I rechambered to 35 Whelen 'before' Remington adopted the round. Can NOT buy it back.

2. S-W 1500 (HOWA) Deluxe 30-06 with a gorgeous stock and it was very similar to Whitebird's stock.
I had a 270 also but NOT as close to WB's as the 06.

[quote=Whitebird]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
-------------------------------------------

Not identical but close enuff that when I saw his stock.. I immediately thot of that one.

Only 1, but not a rifle, revolver. S-W 19 357 4" Fully Armalloy Treated... SWEET.

"Little Misses I Have Known" cry cry

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Davelefty
“A rifle lost, but found.”

My late father owned a 1950s vintage Remington Model 722 rifle (.300 Savage). I was 12-years old in 1970 when my Dad was stricken with a brain aneurysm the day after Christmas. Sadly, I was never able to hunt with him. My amazing late Mother and some family friends filled his shoes, but that’s another story for another time.

I hunted using Dad’s rifle for one or two years, but I am left-handed and was convinced I needed a left-handed rifle. Mom listed Dad’s rifle for sale. Fortunately, one of Dad’s buddies frequently cruised through the newspaper looking for gun deals. He immediately called, urging us to not sell the rifle. Money was sort of tight and I was a persistent young boy, so he bought the rifle and I purchased a left-handed Remington.

It didn’t take too long for me to realize the error of my ways. After graduating high school, I approached my Dad’s friend asking if he’d ever part with the 722. What I didn’t know was, in the years that had passed his home was virtually destroyed by fire. By another twist of fate, prior to the fire he had sold the rifle to another of Dad’s friends as his son’s first deer rifle.

I was pleased to hear the Remington had made it through the fire. For years I would occasionally think about Dad’s rifle. Twenty years later, I contacted the new owner and inquired if he’d ever consider selling the .300 Savage. He said “no”, and my heart sank just a little bit, then he paused and said, “but I’d be willing to trade.” He had moved to Texas and was interested in a long action rifle.

I was happy to acquire a gently used Remington 700 ADL rifle which his parents shuttled to Texas during one of their visits. They returned with my Dad’s rifle which was no worse for the wear. I was almost like a 12-year old boy at Christmas again. With a tear in my eye, I was once again handling the Remington 722. It’s nothing special – the plain walnut stock shows handling marks and the bluing is slightly worn - but the rifle holds tremendous sentimental value to me. The rifle still shoots well, too. I have since harvested a couple deer with the rifle.

Thanks to a couple generous friends and some luck, the rifle returned to our family after a nearly 30 year absence. Our sons have promised to not let “Dad’s deer rifle” ever leave the family.

FAN tastic Story. So Glad for you. I know the feeling.

This was not my Dad's rifle. His too gone too long but this M Six 06 makes me think of Dad and his 760, 30-06

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don't know the exact year but @ 1960 Dad bought his 760 brand new, I was @ 10 yo. It glistened and shined to a young kid. I remember it sitting at the carport door for hunting the next morning.

GLAD FOR YOU. I do know the feeling.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jerry, its interesting to see someone from outside of PA to have taken such a shine to Remington slide action rifles. Being from PA I am bored to tears with those rifle. I too hunted with them for years but they are monotonous here so I got away from them. I wouldn't pass one up in .244 or .257 Roberts for a fair price though.

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
None. Never will.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
Jerry, its interesting to see someone from outside of PA to have taken such a shine to Remington slide action rifles. Being from PA I am bored to tears with those rifle. I too hunted with them for years but they are monotonous here so I got away from them. I wouldn't pass one up in .244 or .257 Roberts for a fair price though.

First I feel the same way about another rifle/cartridge..... later

Second my affinity to Pump Rifles has 2 reasons.

A. My Dad got a new 760, 30-06 @ 1960 and it was the only cf rifle he owned till after I got my Model Six 270. Then he sold his 06 and bought a M Six 270. So far @ 30 years my Dad was a 1 rifle owner, pump 06.

B. We used Rem 870s from 1973--------------now. So I have a LONG history with pump guns, not counting a Rem 572 pump 22 LR.

SO.. it was/is natural for me to like and use the 760--Six cf rifles.

Back to the First.... I have the same feeling and 'attitude' toward Win 94 and Mar 336 in 30-30.
I've been a member here since 2010 and I have said VERY LITTLE about the 30-30. Many like and ONLY need a 30-30 for where they hunt. That's okay with me but I will not limit myself with a short range - softball trajectory.
I'll stop before my real feelings come out. IF anyone is happy/satisfied with them, OK, Fine & Dandy by me but
not for me.

TO ME - the Model Six is sweet perfection and was available in many cartridges. Now the 7600 occupies the top spot
in factory availability. ??? Always puzzled me why people would NOT pay $20.00 for the extra toppings of the Six.

Jerry

ps: How can you not like

Last edited by jwall; 11/27/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh I like it just fine Jerry. But not enough to make me want it. Never had a Six but I've had several 760 BDL's

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Remington 600 in a 222.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My first high power rifle. I sold it to dad because I needed car parts more than the rifle. Belgian Browning BAR grade 2 30-06. Although not the exact rifle, I also sold a marlin 375 while in college and out of money..... years later I bought another 375 which unfortunately doesn’t shoot nearly as well as the first.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I sold this mid 80's Rem 700 to a fella about 8 years ago. When I hear he still owned it and never used it I just had to buy it back, for the same price, of course.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought this M88 308WIN from Shuman's in PA about 1994, sold it to a buddy five years later. Realized I had made a mistake, took me eight years to get it back. It's been back with me over 12 years now and will stay - long my favorite meat maker.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a Remington 721 years ago.....a .300 H&H. The stock dimensions were not good for scope use so I sold it. Then, while on a wood search in Warsaw Missouri, I found a much improved stock for it and bought it and when I returned home, I bought back the old Remington. It's been a great rifle and has accompanied me to Africa twice. It's also killed several elk and mule deer. I just plain like it now as it's been in my cabinet over 25 years.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Seven years ago I gave my son-in-law a Remington 700 25-06 and three years later he and my daughter divorced. A couple years ago he was behind on child support and offered me the gun, I happily paid more for it than I paid originally and it came home.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by dingo

I sold this mid 80's Rem 700 to a fella about 8 years ago. When I hear he still owned it and never used it I just had to buy it back, for the same price, of course.

Nice looking Remmy. Never saw any used ones that good in Oz.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shotguns-Yes. Rifles-No. I've sold a few rifles back to their original owners though. Once they see how well they shoot in someone else's hands they get remorseful.

God Bless America
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I had a m77 in 338 that would shoot bughole size groups with the old 200grain BT, and 210 partitions into 1.5”. Sold it to a buddy when I bought a 340wby. At his passing, I was informed I was getting it back:). I’m hoping it will shoot accubonds as well as it did the BT. Funny thing about that rifle, when looking down the barrel, it was readily apparent the rifling was not drilled straight. Bore sighting was near impossible.... Still, I’ve shot dozens of one hole groups.... I did learn those old BT were way too soft for elk, even at extended range.... They were deer and antelope thumpers.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've only sold a couple. Sadly, the one I shouldn't have sold, and will probably never see again, was a 99 Savage chambered to .300 Savage. It was seed money for my first Wyoming trip in '01. Really shouldn't have done it, but... I miss that rifle.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
444 Marlin and a 280AI. sold both and bought them back.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 33 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.