Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/...eId=7d8049c5-4619-4387-a21c-6f78fe0e7380

By Casey Chalk on Nov 26, 2020

This Thanksgiving, the second of three NFL games will feature one of the oldest (albeit moribund) rivalries in professional football history: the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Football Team, previously known as the Redskins. Since the late 1970’s, the Cowboys, who with the Detroit Lions always play on Thanksgiving, have been nicknamed “America’s Team.” Yet Washington, who under woke capitalist and legacy media pressure have been forced to scrap their storied mascot, have a much more ancient pedigree than “Them Cowboys.” Indeed, the once named Washington Redskins were the original professional football team of the South.

Original Redskins owner George Preston Marshall moved the franchise, founded in 1932, to Washington, D.C., in 1937. At the time, the District of Columbia was far more of a Southern city than the gentrified hipsterdom it has more recently become, and there were no professional teams south of the Mason-Dixon line. Ever the enterprising entrepreneur, Marshall perceived a business opportunity in advertising his team across the South.

Before the Redskins’ second season in Washington, Marshall asked his wife Corinne Griffith, a retired silent-movie star, to pen the lyrics for a fight song for the team, to be played by the team’s new marching band. “Hail to the Redskins,” which ended with the line “Fight for Old D.C.,” was followed by the opening of “Dixie,” played as a counter-melody. (This practice ended in 1965 after a black fan protested on the grounds that the song provoked racial unrest.) During the 1959-1961 seasons, the lyrics of the fight song were even changed to “Fight for Old Dixie.”

Marshall also promoted the “boys in burgundy in gold” via his radio network, which stretched from New England to Florida. He later added television, and at one point featured the Redskins’ games on 40 television and 100 radio stations, many of which were in the South. The Redskins played exhibition games across the South, including in Mobile, Norfolk, Memphis, Shreveport, Winston-Salem, and Amarillo (the Cowboys were not founded until 1960).

The heavy promotion worked, as the Skins were soon labeled the “Team of the South.” Redskins booster clubs operated in Southern cities, and caravans of Redskin fans from as far away as Georgia traveled to the nation’s capital to see their beloved team. Sportswriters working for Southern newspapers, especially in North Carolina, covered the Redskins as the home team. A journalist was once amazed to discover in Chicago a small contingent of Redskins’ fans who had traveled from Winston-Salem.

“We spent a lot of time in North Carolina, and there were a lot of Redskins fans down that way,” noted Hall of Fame receiver Charley Taylor, who played for the Redskins from 1964 to 1977. “In cities in North Carolina like Raleigh and Durham, they loved the Redskins, they grew up with the Redskins, they learned football through the Redskins.” Indeed, when North Carolina-born quarterback Brad Johnson came to play in Washington in 1999, he told the Washington Post that he grew up a fan, his 1980s childhood room featuring Redskins paraphernalia.

Star Redskins quarterback Eddie LeBaron of the 1950s era also noted the strong connections between the team and Dixie. “I used to speak at luncheons and quarterback clubs all over the South, and we were the ‘Team of the South,’ ” he explained. “The Redskins were in Atlanta and the Carolinas and southern Virginia. That whole area was just a hotbed of Redskins fans.

“They would come to Griffith Stadium (in D.C.) by train. It would be South Carolina day and Virginia day and North Carolina day and Georgia day. It was a big thing.”

Halftime entertainment shows also reflected Southern culture, including inviting a female band from Mississippi Southern College. “Naturally, they will play southern-style music,” the owner told the Washington Daily News on June 19, 1958. “Also for the South, we’ve got the George Wythe Band coming in from Whytheville, Va. They’re a corking good outfit, too.”

Marshall also shrewdly played to Southern support by recruiting standout players from Dixie. This included North Carolina’s Charlie “Choo Choo” Justice and Sonny Jurgensen, Len Hauss of Georgia, and Chris Hanburger of Virginia, among others. Yet Marshall’s recruitment strategy also had a dark side, as the team purposefully avoided black players. Indeed, Washington was the last team to integrate, in 1962, following threats by the Kennedy administration of civil rights legal action.

Obviously Marshall’s racist intransigence is a dark spot on the team’s legacy. It is compounded by the irony that many of the team’s star players from its best teams were black. Doug Williams, who passed for four touchdowns in the second quarter of Super Bowl XXII, was the first black quarterback to lead his team to a championship. That same team featured black rookie running back Timmy Smith, who ran for a Super Bowl record 204 yards. The Redskins of the 1980s and early 1990s, led by Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs, also featured African-American standouts such as wide receivers Art Monk, Gary Clark, and Ricky Sanders (“The Posse”), cornerback Darrell Green, and defensive ends Charles Mann and Dexter Manley, among others. Indeed, the Redskins truly came into their own representing “Chocolate City” with such black athletes.

Of course, a discussion of race and the Redskins must make mention of the latest controversy over the team’s allegedly bigoted name. This, unlike Marshall’s obvious racism against blacks, is a bit more complicated. First, multiple polls over many years found that most Native Americans did not find the team mascot offensive. Second is the historical fact that the term “Redskin” actually originates with indigenous American Indians, who used the word to differentiate themselves from Europeans. Third, I have never met a fan who intended the team’s former name to be an insult against indigenous peoples. Indeed, one might argue, as many have, that the moniker was a form of tribute to the martial bravery of American Indians.

Unfortunately such arguments and facts are lost on a woke culture eager to take offense over the latest ersatz controversy. To think that some young Cherokee child living in Oklahoma gets a bad grade on his math test because of the “institutional racism” of the name of a professional football team name is not only risible, it’s insulting to one’s intelligence. I truly believe the United States should make up for past wrongs against Native American peoples. Thinking that changing the name of a football team will make any difference to generational poverty in Indian communities is absurd, though it does temporarily salve the conscience of woke activists.

In this respect, too, one might say that the Washington Football Team still very much identifies with the South, even if Dixie now has many other teams — the Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Atlanta Falcons, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Miami Dolphins, Houston Texans, and yes, even those hated Dallas Cowboys — to cheer for. Just as the South is unfairly and hypocritically attacked for being especially racist and prejudiced — where were the Rodney King and George Floyd incidents again? — so have the Redskins been unjustly targeted for epitomizing bigotry. This is despite the fact that the team’s fan base, especially in its many recent awful years, has been predominantly black.

I would argue that this year’s attacks on the former name of the currently-christened Washington Football Team represent simply another manifestation of anti-traditionalism in the name of woke “justice.” Indeed, the team’s name comes from one of its earliest players, Lone Star Dietz, who, regardless of whether or not he was truly part-Indian (the historical record is unclear and hotly debated), was a promoter of indigenous causes and even married a respected Native American artist. The Redskins could have been at the forefront of celebrating Native American culture — an incompetent, vainglorious owner and influential woke corporations, journalists and activists have ensured that will never happen. At least, from what I hear, there are still some pockets of fans in Old Dixie who bleed burgundy and gold.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Folks had the game on today.

I asks them...what are the Redskins called now?

Washington Football Team they says.

No....seriously.....what are they called now???

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim,

my wife tells me "Things change"....

I'm not so good at it though.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Mother said the same thing tonight.

I am currently not okay with that.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You should contact the ownership group and tell them you give blessings to the new name.

The Washington Eskimos.

Hoorah!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I could send them some pot holders.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Make sure they are the plastic ones that melt on their pots and hands.

Just to show how much you love them.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Didn't turn boob tube on until everyone left this evening after 10pm.

Wife and I are bingeing on HBO series made before 2009.

Lots of decent no PC acting.

Currently Second season of The Wire.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Interesting read and im glad the OP put it up but this year ended sports for me. Cleared a lot of free time up for me. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I knew that the Skins used to be the "team of the South". My Dad became a fan of them, listening to them on the aforementioned radio network in his younger days, and got me hooked when I was a kid.......even though the Atlanta Foolcans came along about the same time I did. Never cared for them.

Can't stand the new "woke" NFL and if Dad were still around I doubt he would watch it either.

The "Washington Football Team" I understand will be coming up with a new lame ass PC nickname and logos before next season.

I suggest the COMMIES!

Keep the same colors put a hammer and sickle on the helmet where the Indian used to be.

They could keep the fight song tune and just change the words........how bout.....

Hail to our comrades
Commies every one
First we take the money
Then we take the guns

Cancel culture, cancel culture, cancellllll
Cancel culture, cancel culture, cancelllll

Fight on fight on til freedoms done sons of Mae Tse Tung.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How about Washington Jungle Bunnies?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

NFL, Not worth commenting on, PHOC THEM !!!! Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7

NFL, Not worth commenting on, PHOC THEM !!!! Rio7

Yet you did? confused

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

When I wrote the above I knew some one would make that comment, PHOC UM!!!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MARCEL
Interesting read and im glad the OP put it up but this year ended sports for me. Cleared a lot of free time up for me. smile

+1

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I called the professional football team in Northern Virginia the Washington Bitches.

Of course they have unique athletic talent...

In the same way that some Hollywood Starlet has perky breasts and a twinkle in her eye.

That is what they do...

God gifted them with speed or good looks. No different than a gazelle or a wood duck.

10 out of 10 times I would rather be knee-deep in open grass looking for quail.

Fugg em.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Vote with your wallet. It may be the only vote you have left.

Last edited by OldHat; 11/27/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.