Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
This one was in bad condition when I got it. It sat disassembled in a box for quite a while. Then I found a buttstock for it, replaced numerous internal components,,.. copious quantities of cold blue.

This one has a 26" IC barrel, which is fairly unusual. Most of their commercial models came with 30" full choke barrels. Also, this one has a serial number that dates it to 1942,..which is a bit odd because the military took every 520A pump shotgun Stevens had in inventory in 1941 and supposedly, their entire 520A pump shotgun manufacturing was dedicated to the military during WW2. The military models had 20" barrels and a heat shield with a bayonet lug.

Somehow, this one escaped conscription. Due to it's manufacturing date, it's uncommon IC choke, and less than common 26" barrel, I think somebody at the factory may have built one to their personal favorite configuration and slipped it out the back door. Of course, I have no way of knowing.

I spent quite a bit of time on this one's action and it's very slick.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That's a fine looking bird gun....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's an interesting shotgun and thanks for letting us common folks know about it.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice work.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have one of those in a box... thanks for the inspiration.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I occurred to me that it was probably originally assembled with upland bird hunting in mind due to its IC choke and shorter barrel.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I have one of those in a box... thanks for the inspiration.

They're not too bad to work on. When you get ready let me know and I'll walk you through the process.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used to be a lot of quail in KY.

How's the bird hunting now?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given the work you put in those, this might be a dumb question,
But I ask them all the time.

Do you really like the 520A.
Or, did you just stumble across some projects?
How do they stack up against the M12, or M31.

I'm curious. I would walk right past them, but you posts
make me wonder if I've been missing something.
Yours sure do look nice.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Used to be a lot of quail in KY.

How's the bird hunting now?

Very few quail here these days.

IC B3

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Given the work you put in those, this might be a dumb question,
But I ask them all the time.

Do you really like the 520A.
Or, did you just stumble across some projects?
How do they stack up against the M12, or M31.

I'm curious. I would walk right past them, but you posts
make me wonder if I've been missing something.
Yours sure do look nice.

I bought one of the later variants several years ago and dug into it. They're a Browning design, although Stevens made many modifications to the original design as years passed.

I don't know how they shape up against a model 12 or a model 31. But they're all forged steel and walnut and very well machined. A lot of hand fitting went into each one so replacing bolts and carriers in them can be a bit tricky. Many new, old stock parts are still available for them because Stevens ran off a lot of spares for the military during WW2. So it's possible to get the actions back into good operating condition.

The shell lifter spring and the slide lock spring will often need to be replaced in one that has seen a lot of use. But they're available and don't cost too much. The firing pins won't take much dry firing and, while not particularly fragile, will break if not treated right. I always put a new firing pin and a new firing pin retaining pin in any that I go through.

There's a couple of little things that you need to pay attention to, but they're not particularly finicky old guns. Once you get them right, they should hold up for quite a while if you lube them up and don't dry fire them.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Bristoe
This one was in bad condition when I got it. It sat disassembled in a box for quite a while. Then I found a buttstock for it, replaced numerous internal components,,.. copious quantities of cold blue.

This one has a 26" IC barrel, which is fairly unusual. Most of their commercial models came with 30" full choke barrels. Also, this one has a serial number that dates it to 1942,..which is a bit odd because the military took every 520A pump shotgun Stevens had in inventory in 1941 and supposedly, their entire 520A pump shotgun manufacturing was dedicated to the military during WW2. The military models had 20" barrels and a heat shield with a bayonet lug.

Somehow, this one escaped conscription. Due to it's manufacturing date, it's uncommon IC choke, and less than common 26" barrel, I think somebody at the factory may have built one to their personal favorite configuration and slipped it out the back door. Of course, I have no way of knowing.

I spent quite a bit of time on this one's action and it's very slick.

I’ve got an old Stevens 720 (semiauto, looks like an old Auto 5), of roughly the same vintage. Picked it up real cheap at a local gun shop that’s notorious for over pricing their guns.

They just thought it was a run-of-the-mill old Stevens.

Joke was on them. On close examination, it’s got the “flaming bomb” stamped on it.

It’s not any kind of riot gun or anything. Looks like a standard 26” hunting shotgun. As you probably know, the military bought lots of them for recreational use for the soldiers, and also for gunnery practice, to teach folks how to shoot at moving targets.

No other “military” markings on the gun, other than that small “flaming bomb”.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Yeah, I knew that the military bought many shotguns with standard length barrels to train aerial gunners.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Good stuff.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
From what I've read, quite a few of the old Stevens 520 trench guns were still in inventory and got sent to Vietnam.

Here's an old WW2 vintage Stevens 520 in military configuration being carried in Vietnam.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Looks good. Very nice job.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
From what I've read, quite a few of the old Stevens 520 trench guns were still in inventory and got sent to Vietnam.

Here's an old WW2 vintage Stevens 520 in military configuration being carried in Vietnam.

They weren’t all that old, then.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by cra1948

They weren’t all that old, then.

Good article on shotguns used in Vietnam.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/4/22/combat-shotguns-of-the-vietnam-war/

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I like keeping things all original but if you could find one that was truly ragged out, it would be cool to rebuild one in that configuration.

Faux or not.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by deflave

I like keeping things all original but if you could find one that was truly ragged out, it would be cool to rebuild one in that configuration.

Faux or not.

There's a company that makes reproductions of the heat shields,..a bit pricey. Also, the military stocks and fore ends have no checkering, so to look authentic you'd have to come up with the furniture, also. I've seen the parts necessary to assemble a reproduction around here and there.

Also, quite a few fakes have been put together and sold as originals. Genuine Stevens 520A military shotguns (520-30) go for about $4000.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.