Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Idahoboy
Be careful what you write as you can perpetuate myths. Rhino are not nearly extinct, only selected species. The White Rhino have well over 15,000 population and is listed as "near threatened".

Not nearly extinct.

Well, I don't want to argue semantics but just try to find a free-range rhino hunt, black or white.

I don't think there's any place you can hunt black rhinos or northern whites. There are some southern whites on game farms in RSA but they are gone from the Zambezi valley where they used to roam free.

There used to be a deal where you could dart a rhino (a vet came along on the hunt), take a cast of the horn, and release it. But I think they stopped that.

For all practical purposes rhino hunting is dead. Unfortunately elephant and lion hunting soon will be.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

I
I
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Idahoboy
Be careful what you write as you can perpetuate myths. Rhino are not nearly extinct, only selected species. The White Rhino have well over 15,000 population and is listed as "near threatened".

Not nearly extinct.

Well, I don't want to argue semantics but just try to find a free-range rhino hunt, black or white.

I don't think there's any place you can hunt black rhinos or northern whites. There are some southern whites on game farms in RSA but they are gone from the Zambezi valley where they used to roam free.

There used to be a deal where you could dart a rhino (a vet came along on the hunt), take a cast of the horn, and release it. But I think they stopped that.

For all practical purposes rhino hunting is dead. Unfortunately elephant and lion hunting soon will be.

Indeed, but I didn't say anything about hunting them, just that "rhino" are not nearly extinct. Many sub species are endangered of course, but we need to be precise. There are a lot of white rhino about and we need to do everything we can to protect and encourage their ongoing survival.

We just need to be very careful about how we use language. People who are imprecise in their use of language will say absurd things like the African Elephant is an endangered species. That is a flat out lie when propagated by the animal rights industry, and just ignorant when said by the average uninformed person who believes the lie.

The hunter does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, he kills in order to have hunted. --- Jose Ortega y Gasset, in "Meditations on Hunting", 1942.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've read it and my take aways were just how bad of a hunter and how poor of a marksman. He writes well and it was a interesting read but no wonder he drove an ambulance instead of being active infantry.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Read the thread
Ordered he book
Read it.
Enjoyed it. He had issues

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by baxterb
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Originally Posted by kaywoodie
This is extremely hard to watch. And very, very sad. But for those who haven’t seen it, I will still post it.

Kaywood, I have never heard EH speak before. He has the cadence of a heavily medicated man, or was this normal for him? Seemed to have a lack of focus or interrupted thoughts. I know he was clinically depressed before his suicide. Is this not too far from that event?

I believe it was the brain trauma. I read thru all the comments on this video. Apparently one contributor who apparently was familiar with things stated there were prepared statements to the questions posted on boards behind interviewer, and on the floor/table, for him to read from. Like modern day teleprompter.

Also his use of “period" and such at end of sentences was another sign. This was also explained as he was afraid of the media chainging his comments. I personally think that an excuse. As many of us are aware, brain trauma can be hell.

I don’t think this video is what people are making it out to be. I’ve seen this video many, many times over the years. Hemingway hated talking about his life and work, and made it a point of not doing it. To one lady he said it made him physically ill. When it became unavoidable he made it obvious by going by a script (that was probably agreed on by the network), and by stating the punctuation was signaling the utter BS And proscriptive nature of it all. The one moment when the reporter gets flustered, Hemingway, under his breath, encourages the guy to keep going, probably because he knew it was almost over. Both the reporter and Hemingway knew this was an interview Hem did not want to do, and they Just bashed through it.

Hemingway did have a halting way of speaking. This interview is just after the Nobel prize, so 1954. He didn’t die until 1961.

Listen to his Nobel speech and you’ll hear what he normally sounded like.

[/quote]

That sure may be the case, baxterb. All I had to go on was living with someone with brain trauma. But no two cases are alike. Thanks!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Nobel acceptance speech: Hemingway's Nobel speech

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This.

Originally Posted by kandpand
Great read.
I have read it several times.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a first addition, I've read it, I wasn't overly impressed with the man. His writing is very good but I found him to be an ass.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s on the shelf but haven’t read it yet. I know I’ll just want to go hunt Africa once I do read it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by smitty_bs
As you would all know, he often spoke of cocktails throughout his writings. In "The Greenhills of Africa" he drank daily including while he was sitting in a blind hunting. But one of my favorite books is "To Have and Have Another; A Hemingway Cocktail Companion" by Philip Green. This is a 360 page book where the author delves into different cocktails that were highlighted throughout the chapters of Hemingway's classics. He includes the recipes so you can taste them when reading the particular book or chapter they are referenced in. It's a wonderful book (I have no dog in this hunt) and full of pictures of Hemingway as well. One of my favorite pics is one where Ernest is sitting at a table in Pamplona in 1926. He is seated with his then wife, Hadley, and also at the table is Pauline Pfeiffer, with whom he was having an affair - and who eventually accompanied him in Africa.

I’m gonna look for that one.

Thanks.

It’s a cool book, I’m a big fan of the Green Issac and the Death in the Gulfstream. Two summer staples for me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The Snows of Kilimanjaro," which I read as a kid, led me to the summit last July to celebrate my 1-year retirement from the Air Force.

I don't read Hemmingway's books to glean his personality or better or worse traits. I read them because they are well written.

A well written story is a joy.

Originally Posted by Boise
I have a first addition, I've read it, I wasn't overly impressed with the man. His writing is very good but I found him to be an ass.

Last edited by David_Walter; 11/24/20.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Excellent point! It could be applied to movies and music as well.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I've just begun reading For Whom The Bell Tolls about EH's time in Spain. Fascinating.

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the greats in my opinion

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hemingway had to associate with too many foppish ex-patriates when he lived in Europe. His friends back in the USA included guys like Gary Cooper.

If you want a real read, check out his anthology of short stories.

He doesn't reflect what seems to be today's values...more's the pity.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've tried to read it 3 or 4 times and have never been able to make it through. But then I can't think of any of Hemingway's stuff that I actually liked. HIs personality just shows through in his work too much for me.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.