Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

LOL... my Brit “HAD” long wavy hair, but I trim out the burs and stickers with scissors... so he’s getting shorter and shorter hair.

I guess you can tell he’s a hunting dog - and it’s one of the only things he’ll hold still for.. must feel good to have them removed.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use one of these dematting comb/rakes:

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

for bad snarls. Otherwise, I just use a big steel comb like these
http://www.chrissystems.com/tools/combs.aspx

I use spray detangler (for humans) or something like Cowboy Magic or Show Sheen spray for horses from the feed store. They will help the burrs slide right out.

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 11/13/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Show Sheen...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a shot of WD40 and a mane & tail comb.....

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Never heard of show sheen, .. or using WD40..

I did google show sheen... I’m going to get some of that stuff and give it a try.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep show sheen is for horses but many people use it for dogs for just what you're doing.

Our dogs are small munsterlanders...basically a brittany with a long tail. After a day quail hunting you can just spray and brush the burrs out.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
My dogs remove all the ones they can reach. More often then not I just cut them off or if possible comb them out. I will be on the look out for some of the show sheen if it makes it as easy as said.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is also a product called "The Stuff" that lets the burs just slide out.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper

I use spray detangler (for humans) or something like Cowboy Magic or Show Sheen spray for horses from the feed store. They will help the burrs slide right out.

I use one of these on my Airedale. She matts if I don't keep her trimmed and she is into anything and everything when she is running and gets tons of burrs.

Works pretty good.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Went to Tractor Supply a number of years ago looking for some kind of detangler for my Brit. Nice young lady in her early twenties took me to the horse aisle and handed me a spray bottle of 'Mane and Tail'. I asked her if it was safe for dogs, she shook a long brown pony tail out from under her ball cap. "I use it," she said. I've used it ever since. I keep a bottle in the truck. I spray it on him when he gets out of the truck. No burrs when we get back.
Used Show Sheen back when we took livestock to the county fair, had never given it a thought for my hunting buddy, but it sure brightened up hogs, heifers and sheep.
Bfly

Last edited by Blackfly1; 11/27/20.

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but did it brighten up the TS heifer's ponytail, too?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper

I use one of these on my Airedale. She matts if I don't keep her trimmed and she is into anything and everything when she is running and gets tons of burrs.

Works pretty good.

same one I use for my griff. Pre spray with show sheen before I GO out in areas with burrs

Last edited by ribka; 11/28/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The "sticky" grass found in mearns country in S. Az can get pretty bad on long haired dogs. I use an open gap metal comb and work on end of hairs going towards the roots. Start at lower legs and work towards upper parts of dog. Some hair does come out but with care not much.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by Azshooter; 11/30/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks for the leads.

If you ever absolutely MUST get those burrs out in a hurry, like before you can get back to town, a cast-off fork can go between the dog hide and the bramble, using a pair of scissors or a pocket knife to trim the hair if you are careful and take the needed time.

I imagine that would only be necessary the one time you forgot to pack the Safari.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Oliver Mat and Tangle Splitter patent #2961996, uses Schick injector razor blades. Works great, split the burr and comb it out, it's worked for me and I am on my 5th Springer-30yrs.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I know I use Johnson’s “No More Tangles” removing burrs from coyote hides. I see no reason it wouldn’t work great on a dog. Obviously no different than a lot of the products mentioned by the other gentlemen.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 12/06/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

71 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 15 invisible), 1,043 guests, and 718 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,487
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.