Hop To
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Gents,

Need some advice for my new brush gun. Picked up a mini 30 in 7.62x39 for hunting the thick stuff up here. It’s the tactical model with the short barrel and it has great irons.

Plan is to add a low mag optic on qd rings when I need stretch things out a bit to 200 yards or so max.

Anything decent out there without costing a fortune? Thinking maybe a 2-7 or something?

Last edited by Quak; 11/22/20.

GOD Bless America
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
My own experience was the low powers scopes couldn’t be mounted far enough back for hunting with a bunch of hunting clothes. My choice was a longer scope or shortening the stock. Ended up putting a VX-1 3x9 on it as I wasn’t willing to shell out the coin for a VX3 2.5x8. I like these rifles for hunting at timber rifles when I don’t feel like packing a pump in 35Whelen around. Would never push it past a 100yds or so....

Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
They stay pretty flat out to 200 yds so id push it in a pinch but its a shorter range game up here...200 yard shots are unheard of.

Oddly this version has a heavier barrel than minis typically have and its not a bad shooter.

GOD Bless America
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wouldn’t be scared of a Leupold 2-7 or 2.5-8 for your application

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Aimpoint

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I second the aimpoint, put one on friends mini 30 tactical 1''-1.25"or less at 100 yards, rang the 8" gong 10 for 10 at 200 yards. Just some middle of the load range handloads I thru together for sight in. Can't remember the powder, used some 123 or 125 hornady soft points and Federal LR primers.

quick target acquisition both eyes open. Put the dot on it and hit it.

There is a war on America and America is losing
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a Redfield 2-7X (made by Leupold) on mine. It fits the compact rifle well. Doesn't shoot very well with anything. Bore slugs .3105". Tried both bullet diameters and many powders. Also installed a reduced diameter gas bushing to calm it down. Fire-lapped the barrel in an attempt to make the diameter more uniform. Going to try barrel tuning weights next since that made a big difference on my friend's. My Ruger American in 7.62X39 is a tack-driver.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before you mount a scope, install a buffer of some sort. Might look into de-gassing it a bit too. The op rod whacks the receiver pretty good, one reason they’re reliable, but it’s tough on optics. A Hawke 2-7 wouldn't hold zero for long, but a SWFA 6x42 seemed to hold okay. I ended up replacing the rings with the rail, and put a PA 1x prism on it. That seems to be doing the trick so far.

Not a tactical guy, but I really like mine, especially with the 5-round mags.

Hornady steel-cased SSTs have done a fine job for my grandson out of his Howa Mini. Punched right through a 200-pounder’s shoulders last week.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to perfectunion.com and ask this question on the Mini 14/30 forum. Think about an Ultimak rail and a scout scope or red dot.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
1-6 for home defense/ plinking/ really thick stuff
2-7 or 2-8 for hunting purposes.
I run leupold 2-7 on my Cz 527 in 76239 and don’t need any more

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Aimpoint

+1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't like red dots for hunting. The dot set at one temperature gets brighter and brighter as it gets to last light hunting or the reverse. Would the Leupold 2.5X scope work for you? Simple, cheap, robust.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carried a crossbow with a red dot a good bit earlier this season until my new scope showed up. The Sparc 2 is adjustable, and I checked it as lighting conditions changed to make sure it was visible and sharp.

An original Burris FF is auto-only, and can be troublesome if the lighting where the target stands is different than where you are, a common condition even at the range. I found sunglasses can help, for target shooting anyway.

Despite the problem with the brightness, that little FF has soldiered on for years, on all kinds of stuff. Can’t say that for some others, actually any others. The FF3 is even better, feature-wise anyway. Time will tell how it holds up, but huntsman22 has a bunch I think, and I doubt he’d suffer any crap.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to look at a 1-4/6x scope of some type. The huge FOV on the bottom end makes target acquisition lightning fast, with a well fitted rifle it is faster than open sights. The 4x or 6x on the top end makes 200-300 yard shots pretty easy.

I use the 1-4's almost exclusively on my combo gun and drillings for coyote hunting, with some practice I can even shoot birds on the wing with the shotgun barrel and scope. One thing nice about the 1-4's is their straight tubes, they can be mounted close to the bore on the combo guns.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

they work well on bolt action too

On my bolt actions I've gone to 1.5-6x4?mm scope as they also have the large FOV for close in work and more X's for longer range stuff. Most modern bolt action rifles have stocks designed for larger objective scopes.

Last edited by erich; 11/28/20.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I don't like red dots for hunting. The dot set at one temperature gets brighter and brighter as it gets to last light hunting or the reverse. Would the Leupold 2.5X scope work for you? Simple, cheap, robust.

Except an aimpoint is about a thousand times more durable and reliable than anything leupold makes.

I've never set the "temperature" on my aimpoint, but the brightness is adjusted in about .4 seconds....

I mean at the end of the day it is a mini 30, so if you want to stay true to form get the leupold (that way everything will suck). If you want something of value involved in the situation get an aimpoint.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 11/28/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What erich said. A 1-4/6x an SWFA with an illuminated reticle that you can turn on as needed would be my choice. On 1x you can pick up the sight picture nearly as fast as a red dot, with the power turned up it’s just like any other crosshairs scope. It would be the most do all scope that you can put on it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

“Lighten up Francis”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I agree with this.
Great pictures by the way !

Originally Posted by erich
You might want to look at a 1-4/6x scope of some type. The huge FOV on the bottom end makes target acquisition lightning fast, with a well fitted rifle it is faster than open sights. The 4x or 6x on the top end makes 200-300 yard shots pretty easy.

I use the 1-4's almost exclusively on my combo gun and drillings for coyote hunting, with some practice I can even shoot birds on the wing with the shotgun barrel and scope. One thing nice about the 1-4's is their straight tubes, they can be mounted close to the bore on the combo guns.

they work well on bolt action too

On my bolt actions I've gone to 1.5-6x4?mm scope as they also have the large FOV for close in work and more X's for longer range stuff. Most modern bolt action rifles have stocks designed for larger objective scopes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.