Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
2011 F-150
165000 miles
Not a single issue
Both are great motors
I would buy a 5.0 again vs the 3.5 Ecoboost

They probably used cast cylinder liners in your 5.0 , the new ones have sintered metal sprayed in . I know of one person that had one with less then 25000 miles that had severe cylinder scoring.

The twin Bendix turbos on the eco boost are undersized and provided the oil is changed at a regular interval say 5k miles with a quality synthetic there should be no issues at all. You have to stomp on them every once in a while to keep the waste gates clean.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Oldman3
I'm pretty sure some of you Ford F150 owners have the Turbo V-6's and some have the V8's. How do you like them.... pros and cons.... fuel mileage???

6 cylinder trucks are as feminine as a .270 winny. When were you born, asking such a question?
And like that 'feminine' 270 that gets the job done every time you can hit the target, some of new 6's get it done. So there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I traded my 2019 GT for a 2020 F150 shortbed crewcab 4x4, and drove both the 2.7 and the 5.0 and preferred the 5.0 power, not that it felt substantially better than the 2.7 but the way it came on felt better. I knew as soon as I drove it the 2.7 would pull anything and everything I will tow. I did not drive the 3.5 but have spent a lot of time in EcoBeast Expedition's and know the fugg'ers will haul ass when boosted.

I didn't consider the 3.5 because a good friend and my brother both report the mileage sucks especially when towing and unloaded when they are making boost. My brother stated there is no question the 3.5 tows better than the 5.0 but mileage is worse towing and he pulls a TT all the time.

I realize this is an engine conversation but this is my first Ford pickup in my life and so far it's fine, not my favorite and the SuperDuty blows it way for looks but I didn't need or want another 3/4 ton pickup, a diesel or definitely not another big gas motor for a daily driver.

Dave

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by visalia6mm
https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/...ture-tested-ecoboost-v-6-looks-like.html

This article is what changed my mind on the v6.

The 3.5 was/is Ford's baby..

good article...probably my next truck......bob

Will be my next one too.

The 09 5.4 is getting up there. It doesn't tow that well either. I had someone offer me 15K cash for it a few weeks ago. I probably should of accepted.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
3.5 and it shouldn’t be that tough of a choice IMO. The 3.5 does everything better than the 5.0, I have over 200k on them and never a problem. Great engines.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The comparison of the 3.5L to the 5.0l isn't a fair one. A direct injection, turbo charged engine to naturally aspirated engine. The NA engine needs to be much bigger, 7.0L range to be fair.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RDW
I traded my 2019 GT for a 2020 F150 shortbed crewcab 4x4, and drove both the 2.7 and the 5.0 and preferred the 5.0 power, not that it felt substantially better than the 2.7 but the way it came on felt better. I knew as soon as I drove it the 2.7 would pull anything and everything I will tow. I did not drive the 3.5 but have spent a lot of time in EcoBeast Expedition's and know the fugg'ers will haul ass when boosted.

I didn't consider the 3.5 because a good friend and my brother both report the mileage sucks especially when towing and unloaded when they are making boost. My brother stated there is no question the 3.5 tows better than the 5.0 but mileage is worse towing and he pulls a TT all the time.

I realize this is an engine conversation but this is my first Ford pickup in my life and so far it's fine, not my favorite and the SuperDuty blows it way for looks but I didn't need or want another 3/4 ton pickup, a diesel or definitely not another big gas motor for a daily driver.

Daily driver pickups, the mileage between the 5.0 and the 3.5 Ecoboost are going to probably be pretty close.

But if both engines are towing say 5-6000 pounds, the mileage on both engines will suck too. It ain't just the 3.5 that has the mileage go to chit. wink

Hell, pulling a trailer with my F350 takes a big toll on mpg as well.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ecoboost engines outsell the coyote which is of course reflected in the used market. Between my wife and I, we’ve put 100k+ on a 5.0, 145k+ on a 3.5TT, and about 40k on a
2.7TT. Give me the ecoboost everyday, you can have the 5.0. Traded the 5.0 on the 2.7. My 3.5 hasn’t batted an eye. The 5.0 is no slouch but it’s for the traditionalist that “needs” a V8 or for the high school/college kids that like to add noise to be seen. The 3.5 does the work better without all the unnecessary noise involved of a conventional V8.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...llion-sales--technology-can-save-cu.html

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/08/v8-market-share-just-quarter-ford-f150-lineup/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.au...0-pickup-v8-production-dwindling-demand/

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Color me a traditionalist then. I know that my old Saab turbo isn't a new Ford turbo, but after I replaced two turbos at $750. each in that Saab, I vowed to never buy another one. That was before they inter-cooled the turbo and because a turbo uses the exhaust pressure to spin the turbo up to 12,000 rpm in my case, the turbo seals just couldn't take that kind of rpm and heat. Sure the thing was fidgety fast, but when those turbo seals went out, it sure changed my mind about what I was going to do that day. Picture white oil smoke behind you that would obliterate the road. I don't know about the Fords, but my turbo ran on oil bathed bushings and I haven't used Mobil 1 oil since my Saab days either because in part I blamed the oil. I was told that bearings wouldn't stand up to that kind of rpm or heat and that bushings were better.

I know that Ford had some issues with the early 3.5's up until about 2013 and the reason that a V-8 is in my truck now. There is no replacement for displacement. I'm only turning 1,500 rpm at 60 mph and that is half the rpm of my old 5.0 (302) Mustang. I keep my stuff about forever and a couple mpg difference doesn't mean squat if I need to pull maintenance on the engine.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Windfall
Color me a traditionalist then. I know that my old Saab turbo isn't a new Ford turbo, but after I replaced two turbos at $750. each in that Saab, I vowed to never buy another one. That was before they inter-cooled the turbo and because a turbo uses the exhaust pressure to spin the turbo up to 12,000 rpm in my case, the turbo seals just couldn't take that kind of rpm and heat. Sure the thing was fidgety fast, but when those turbo seals went out, it sure changed my mind about what I was going to do that day. Picture white oil smoke behind you that would obliterate the road. I don't know about the Fords, but my turbo ran on oil bathed bushings and I haven't used Mobil 1 oil since my Saab days either because in part I blamed the oil. I was told that bearings wouldn't stand up to that kind of rpm or heat and that bushings were better.

I know that Ford had some issues with the early 3.5's up until about 2013 and the reason that a V-8 is in my truck now. There is no replacement for displacement. I'm only turning 1,500 rpm at 60 mph and that is half the rpm of my old 5.0 (302) Mustang. I keep my stuff about forever and a couple mpg difference doesn't mean squat if I need to pull maintenance on the engine.

How are things in the past? Look out for 2020, it's a doozy

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Windfall

Saab ain’t with us anymore either while Ford is. It’s been almost 9 years since the first 3.5 TT engines.

There is no replacement for horsepower and torque, displacement be damned.

Times are-a-changing but I sure understand the “once burned “ things as I’ve had a few like yours.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Oldman3
I'm pretty sure some of you Ford F150 owners have the Turbo V-6's and some have the V8's. How do you like them.... pros and cons.... fuel mileage???

6 cylinder trucks are as feminine as a .270 winny. When were you born, asking such a question?

Off topic, I love me a T-28 Trojan!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MM879
The comparison of the 3.5L to the 5.0l isn't a fair one. A direct injection, turbo charged engine to naturally aspirated engine. The NA engine needs to be much bigger, 7.0L range to be fair.

That's a great point. 1 additional atmosphere of pressure.
There is a replacement for displacement when discussing these engines in stock form. It's called forced induction.

Last edited by Slim_Jenkins; 11/28/20.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I've got a 2014 3.5 TT Ecoboost with 103k miles, owned it since new. Tow heavy with it quite often, handles 10-11k with no issues. Pulls our 27' 5th wheel very nicely. Gets 18-20 on the freeway empty (small lift with 34" tires) Would definitely buy another if I was in the market for a 1/2 ton, no other 1/2 ton tows like these do, especially if you're at altitude. Mine has the Max Tow package.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have a 2018...with the 5.0 coyote.

Wanted a 3.5 turbo.....but bought a little Casita camper.....figured the 5.0, with 10 speed tranny.

2018 brought out a new cam for the truck 5.0 (different from Mustang).....395hp. No cylinder sleeves.....time will tell.

3.5 was 375hp, which was amazing for a 6 banger.

So far, so good....with the 5.0.
Broke 60,000 during the Wyoming trip last week.

Last year, lovely wife drove from Iowa to Casper, WY........to pick my butt up at airport....returning from AK.

She honestly averaged 22.5 mpg for the trip out. She drives less than 80mph....no matter the speed limit....plus maybe she had a tail wind.

Pulling little Casita drops to 14+/- mpg.

Decent mileage for a full sized truck.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 2five7
I've got a 2014 3.5 TT Ecoboost with 103k miles, owned it since new. Tow heavy with it quite often, handles 10-11k with no issues. Pulls our 27' 5th wheel very nicely. Gets 18-20 on the freeway empty (small lift with 34" tires) Would definitely buy another if I was in the market for a 1/2 ton, no other 1/2 ton tows like these do, especially if you're at altitude. Mine has the Max Tow package.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That’s impressive.

Air bags?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have two 2014 F150’s.
I know things have changed some since then but one is an ecoboost and one is the 5.0. Basically identical
Axle and tranny’s.
Ecoboost has 40k and 5 has 65k. Son drives it.
I like driving the eco best. Better pulling power at lower rpm.
Gets about a mile per gallon better mileage. Pulls trailer better.
My company truck is a 19 with the 5.0.
Has 10 speed. I would rather drive my 14 with the six speed and ecoboost. Jury is out on longevity but there are some high mile boosts out there.
Son in law has 12 model with ecoboost and 130000 miles. Pulls 37’ travel trailer with two slides. Doesn’t pull in Rockies but he says he never runs out of power.
They are both good but I prefer the ecoboost

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10hp for the 5.0 and 70 ft-lbs for the 3.5, no real advantage to either.

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here’s something to ponder.

Got a friend that had the ecoboost and It towed his smaller 20+’ toyhauler just fine as far as power but towing it up a long grade in the summer The turbo would overheat and he’d have to stop to cool down. The 302/5 liter towed just as well but doesn’t have a turbo to deal with

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AZmark
Here’s something to ponder.

Got a friend that had the ecoboost and It towed his smaller 20+’ toyhauler just fine as far as power but towing it up a long grade in the summer The turbo would overheat and he’d have to stop to cool down. The 302/5 liter towed just as well but doesn’t have a turbo to deal with

There’s a thought.

What year Model and which eco boost engine?

I recall the earlier models going into a limp mode with prolonged pulling but thought that had been addressed by Ford.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.