Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hanco
What I mean is, do you see any white people at all there??? What are the conditions there?

It is where they make them.

Not if they have any sense.

Shithole.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think they must have all migrated to Kenosha, Wisconsin.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
DA thread

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Is the original post a joke or is the original poster that stupid??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are 54 countries in Africa so you have to refine your question. A lot of northen african countries are arabic, as in middle eastern, not black so to speak and are generally more prosperous than the rest of the continent.

The rest is mostly black, there are often some white folks in the other countries. Usually very small amounts of business people, UN, or missionaries. South Africa the country, has quite a lot of whites. A lot of sub-saharan africa has poor living conditions. Life expectancies in some nations as low as 46 years. Africa also has the worst epidemics and disease, also a very high parasite load, partly due to their proximity to stock and herd animals.

I worked in several countries on the continent. A lot seemed to be laid out the same way. A couple big cities with semi-modern CBD or airport, the richer suburbs where all the business people lived, then surrounded by the older city( which looks like pictures of highrise from the 60's and 70's, you know the tiny windows in concrete look, which is when they were built), then outside the city rings of ever-decreasing standard slums. The first are brick slums, then wooden, then cardboard/tarpolin. Population density in the slums can reach hundreds of thousands a square mile, no plumbing, or power, familes in the poorer areas walk to water points, sewerage pits or huts. Very little penetration from outside, including the police, some are almost self governing entities.

You then often have poorly kept roads eminating to every corner of the country through shanty towns or tin cities. In between these smaller villages living to different levels of traditional or subsistence lifestyles. Wash , rinse, repeat for almost 40 countries. There are some exceptions but that is the african template. In Afghanistan despite the the war I felt people had some sort of structure and industry. Africa to me felt like it didnt know what its direction was.1.5 billion people on that continent now, 10x increase since WW2.

The peoples of Africa can be vastly different, even in the one country. Country borders were largely drawn by the old colonial powers. There can be dozens of ethnic groups in a single country, and the same ethnic group split across several countries where borders converge. The levels of peace in a country often depend how well they get on together. Some countries are very aggresive to travellers, a lot of no-go zones. But you find the same in any 3rd world country. Some peoples are quite welcoming. I enjoyed working in Ghana, despite being part of west africa, one of the roughest neighbourhoods. They were a former British colony, hadnt had a revolution in decades and despite government corruption the average person has respect for the rule of law. Saw quite a few mormon missionaries in Accra and Asamankasee two of the cites there.

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, there used to be enough of them to make Tarzan movies...

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the reasons for the number of cell phones in much of Africa (and other countries) is a lack of infrastructure such as power/phone lines strung for hundreds of miles on poles. Cell towers don't need lines, and only have to be within many miles of each other--not strung across the country.

Have seen Masai herders whip their cell phone from underneath their "toga," and also seen phone service improve enormously in rural Mexico since first visiting there 50 years ago. Same sort of deal with supposedly more civilized countries such as Norway, where stringing lines across the fjord country (some of the most rugged on earth) would be extremely expensive.

How are they charging those devices ?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When we hunted south Africa we saw lots of black folks. Not quite as many as you see in southeastern Arkansas, but a lot.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nathan13

Often its communal power sources. Local guy with a kiosk, market stall, business with a generator or when you travel every few days to the town store you can plug in there. You have to pay for how long your phone is plugged in though. Its a good business fleecing people for phone charging. Everything in Africa absorbs money, because there is so little of it.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
One thing that impressed me was that the Africans are BLACK, not various shades of brown as in the USA.

Also I think their metabolism is slower. When hunting in the bush, I would wear shorts, a short sleeve shirt, and a light jacket. About 9:00 AM I would take the jacket off. The Africans would wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt but coveralls over that. Early on they would wear gloves and balaclavas. I never saw them sweat. Their eyesight was excellent. I stopped bothering with binoculars because they could see the game better naked-eye than I could with binoculars.

As to how many, there are curently about 1,000,000,000 blacks in sub-Saharan Africa. There are projected to be 3,000,000,000 by the end of this century. That will be the end of African hunting.

Many of the whites are leaving southern Africa. The USA won't let them in but they go to Australia and Canada. Someone posted that Zimbabwe had 30,000 whites. That's sad. There were 250,000 a few years ago.

Slavery and superstition abound in the bush. In 2011 you could buy a young woman--permanently--for five cows. I was told that 40% of the population of South Africa was HIV positive. They don't believe what causes it, but think it's a white man's plot. (Very few white people get it, you see.) I don't think Zimbabwe has statistics of any kind.

The government consists of a few rich blacks who treat everyone like garbage. We came across a game ranger post where the staff had to dig holes in the river bed, like the elephants, to bathe because their pump went out and the ministry wouldn't buy them a new one. Our game scout--hired by the local tribal council to see that we didn't cheat on trophy fees, hadn't been paid in three months.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 158XTP

Often its communal power sources. Local guy with a kiosk, market stall, business with a generator or when you travel every few days to the town store you can plug in there. You have to pay for how long your phone is plugged in though. Its a good business fleecing people for phone charging. Everything in Africa absorbs money, because there is so little of it.

Originally Posted by 158XTP

Solar panels in the remote villages, connected to a 12v hub with USB outlets is the usual method.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hanco
Meskins can’t swim, ain’t none over there.

Touche

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
The myopic ones didnt live long. whistle

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 3040Krag
When we hunted south Africa we saw lots of black folks. Not quite as many as you see in southeastern Arkansas, but a lot.

Hahaha. Or Atlanta. A testament to the curse of welfare.

I Dindo Nuffin
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when i was a lineman in Minnesota we had a run down area that had electric lines to it and thru that area, we never went near that area at night much ,the older linemen called it little Africa because of all the dark people that lived there.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What a stupid topic. Of course there are Black people in Africa, if you go there you may actually develop an admiration for their resilience, fortitude , and skills.. If you are way out in the bush they could even save your life. Simple things like warning you about an elephant in must or a cobra in the brush.

Consider that all of us descended from the same early hominids from Africa and that we are all related.

Given this I was uneasy in some townships where nobody was around and there where smouldering piles of burning tires. In general I feel far safer in Africa than I do in many places in the USA.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was probably the last white missionary in Soweto right before Mandela was elected in 94. I would drive 30 miles across Soweto and then drive around the township all day and never saw another white person in there over about 3 months. Most people were really nice and friendly and kids followed me around in packs at times.

There were areas in the townships that were rougher than others. Most of the time no problems. Sometimes riots, the black smoke of necklacings, and automatic gunfire. I think I was only shot at 3 times. I was young and just thought it was all an adventure.

South African whites including the military could not believe I would drive into soweto every morning. The always tried to stop me before I went in and thought I was lost or something. I wish I had kept a better journal because I could write a pretty good book. It was an interesting time to be a white guy in a township.

When I was back in 2008 they were having the xenophobic riots and general crime seemed much worse than pre-mandela. I found myself in a few tense situations as I spent most of a month driving around by myself. I had a huge sense of relief that I could physically feel as my plane departed. I didn't realize the level of underlying stress until then.

Bb

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBoston
What a stupid topic. Of course there are Black people in Africa, if you go there you may actually develop an admiration for their resilience, fortitude , and skills.. If you are way out in the bush they could even save your life. Simple things like warning you about an elephant in must or a cobra in the brush.

Consider that all of us descended from the same early hominids from Africa and that we are all related.

Given this I was uneasy in some townships where nobody was around and there where smouldering piles of burning tires. In general I feel far safer in Africa than I do in many places in the USA.

Oh ph ucking boy, where this retard come from.. "I feel safer in Africa" ph ucking retard

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
H
H
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by DBoston

Oh ph ucking boy, where this retard come from.. "I feel safer in Africa" ph ucking retard

Don’t think his post was the retarded one. It’s always useful to look in the mirror before making dumb and sweeping assertions. There’s sh1t everywhere.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I was in Brazzaville, Congo for 15 months back in 1982-83.

Outside of the diplomatic community there were very few whites. In fact I never saw a single one.

In my experience, the Congolese people were very friendly toward Americans. Toward the Russians....not so much.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.