-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have been back to the State I was born in thrice since the early 60's. Doubt I'll make it back again.

Left the county I was raised in since the early 60's in the early 90's, only go back for visits with siblings now. Folks passed a few years ago and only one sibling still lives there, so not many reasons to go back to the zoo that SoCal has become over the years.

Work had me living all across the country, all of those places are better for me now than where I grew up and I'd prefer to visit one or two of them rather the SoCal.

Like renegade, I refuse to fly now and the only thing I can see dragging me into a plane again is the death of a brother too far away for me to drive to in a couple of days.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I never left my state.
Moved back to where i was born to go to college and ended up w a job there.
Got married and raised kids.....same place
Ruined my life.

If smart id have left and never went back

Last edited by hookeye; 11/29/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Am just burning time now.
What a fuggin blast

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I haven’t been back to my hometown in years, not much left I recognize anyway.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm sitting in the house I grew up in.

I find that very interesting.

My girlfriend’s father lived on the same farm from about age 7 to 90. He was born in town - 2 miles away. His father worked for the railroad and bought the farm as a hobby, I guess.

In 1969 her dad sold the dairy herd and went to raising beef cattle. The family lived in the milk barn while the old house was torn down and a new house was built.

There is much written about the virtues of travel and exposing one’s self to other regions and cultures, but I admire a man who is content to be in one place.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
This is the saddest post ever.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
We visit my wife's home town frequently. About once a year she puts flowers on her ancestors' graves. It's sad to see most of the gravestones totally neglected and never visited.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hookeye
What a fuggin blast

Christmas is right around the corner - aggravate the daughter units with a useless gift , every day above ground is a great day .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Only 3,000 miles. Been back 3 times in 52 years. Everyone got old, girls got fat, town is half the size it was - never more than 600....

No need to go back again.

Last edited by las; 11/29/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Town I'm from -not in town- Lebanon , Ohio never seen Christmas celebrated any better .

Lebanon , Ohio Old Time Christmas Parade ,, last time there 2005 , will go again soonish .
Just pictures in the video - probably posted by a Kentucky Hillbilly who came to Ohio for a job . smile . Yes Ohio use to have jobs , Jimma Carta was President when I graduated -- yeah had to go find a job elsewhere .

When I was a kid we had a white Christmas every year until I was 12 - seemed weird without snow . White Christmas most of the time , heavy snowfall when I was there in 2005 . Like .

Last edited by ol_mike; 11/29/20.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I go back maybe every couple years. When I do I keep it pretty short and quick. I don't specifically go by either of the houses I spent my youth in.

I have driven by the high school maybe 2 or 3 times watching the changes over the years. But it's all new now so I probably won't do that again.

When I am back, there are always people that recognize me or talk to me that I have no clue who they are. Difference is, I left over 30 years ago and moved on. A lot of those people that never leave their home town continue to live in the past. That interests me none.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sharon’s father died this past spring and we have spent a lot of time in the Kansas Flint Hills this year; cleaning up the house, getting ready for and having an auction, going thru three generations of stuff in the attic (plus some bachelor neighbors stuff; when her dad bought their farm he got most of their personal property with it).

We have always “cruised main” and driven by both grandparents old houses before going on to the farm when we would go out to see her dad.

This fall while driving around and looking at different landmarks from her childhood, it really hit me - there was nothing for her there. The little town has dried up; the cafe has been closed for years, no grocery store, not even a gas station. It is 20 miles to the nearest town with a grocery store or 30 miles the other direction if you want a town big enough to support more than one grocery store and have some competition.

I think her family resented her moving away to the city, but the ones who stayed have witnessed a relentless decline.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
There was a spruce at the end of our street outside of Debbie’s 2nd floor bedroom window, just tall enough where a group of guys could climb it and look in. So when bored and drunk we would occasionally partake. We didn’t have the internet back then.

Debbie was hot and blonde and rode our same high school bus and never bothered to draw the curtains much. I think the most we ever saw was her in her bra, pretty sure she liked the attention.

I went back to the old neighborhood a few years back and that tree is friggin’ huge now. That’s how I know I’m old 🙂

Debbie? My cousin ran into her a couple of years back and she told him I could climb her tree anytime. I was surprised she even remembered my name. Ya never know the effect you had on people.
I planted a white spruce seedling in my dads front lawn when I was about 10. It's 70' tall now. Things haven't changed all that much where I grew up. My best friend since high school lives 12 miles away. We're still best friends and hunt together every season. I live 2 miles from the house I grew up in. My dad still lives there and I visit frequently. My brothers all live within a 15 minute drive and I see them regularly too. My middle brother is now a teacher in the same high school we all graduated from. We all still get together at every holiday and to hunt and fish several times a year. I have one son an hour away but the rest of my kids are all within a half hours drive. Lots of the people I went to school with moved away but several are still here and I see them around town frquently. Since I didn't move away, I still know a lot of people around here. You don't have to "go home" if you never leave.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by hookeye
What a fuggin blast

Christmas is right around the corner - aggravate the daughter units with a useless gift , every day above ground is a great day .

I gave all 3 their Xmas money to shop (they went to Indy to visit half siblings).

Picked my dad up off his floor this morning. See what docs say tomorrow.

Bah humbug.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/29/20.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Just went back home a few days ago for a quick trip to pick up a snowmobile. I had my son and grandson with with me. I took them by the the old house I grew up in (moved away when I was 10), where the school was, the other family members houses etc. It was a small town of 300 so I showed them the sights to make sure more people than me remember them. We went to the cemetary to see those that have gone on.... It was a good time. We also went to my child hood best friends house for a fish fry and spent several hours with his family. I was able to visit my uncle and see some other folks I knew. I did not have a chance to see everyone due to the quick trip. It was a good time and I may go back in about 3 weeks for a late season pheasant hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My mother was born in Bristol TN to a family that had two plow horses and no tractor, car, or electricity.
My father was born in Burien WA to a family with a 1908 Olds truck and electric radios that my father converted from battery to AC.

So my mother moved to Burien, and both my parents died in Burien.

My wife was born in Scobey MT, but grew up in Tokyo Japan.

So my wife moved to Seattle to go to college.

I was born in Seattle WA.

The wife and I live 2 miles from Seattle.... and will probably die here.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have resigned myself to die in this chithole town.
Hell I'm already half dead.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I tried moving back to the small town where I was raised in Texas after living in a city for several years, and I just couldn't handle it. I enjoyed being near my family, but it seemed like all the busy bodies all up in everyone's business had gotten worse and their were way more of them than I remembered...Not to mention the town itself had gone from bad to worse due to the decline of the oilfield in the area. There was a significant increase in crime and a ton of meth and druggjes in general in the area.. It was definitely not the same place I grew up in where you could leave the doors of your house or vehicle unlocked without any concern...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Why move away?

So's you could have one or no children and then get castrated?

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Responsibilities.
Gotta do the grind.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

614 members (160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,261
Posts18,448,186
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.