Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
john39 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello calguns,

First post here, first of many to come.

Recently purchased a Glock 27 as an impulse buy. Can honestly say I didn't like shooting it as much as my brothers G17. I feel like it is likely due to my grip.

Was wondering, how many of you have a G27 and like it? Did it take time to learn to control the muzzle flip? I am a smaller guy so I was hoping to hear what others had to say. I saw hickok45 shooting the G27 and his recoil control was unreal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tet1vNkIlCE @ 16:10)

With regards to grip:
I was taught to shoot using the isosceles stance with a 2-thumbs-forward grip. Is it true that my right hand should be mostly relaxed and my left hand (off-hand) have most of the grip strength applied to the gun? To control the recoil better, with my left hand, should I be pulling my index and middle finger towards my body to counter act the recoil?

/edit: after watching the hickok video, it looks like his left arm is using a lot of grip from the way his tendons bulging out. I'm going to try the grip at the range tomorrow

I appreciate all the advice!

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Wow. Poor choice for a first handgun. You should have gone with the Model 19 or the 26. Even experienced handgunners have trouble handling the recoil of the 27, proper grip or no. You won't have any trouble selling it in the current climate. That's my best advice to you. Come back for grip technique recommendations after you've acquired yourself a Glock 19 or 26. No need to start with such a huge handicap.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Put a pinky extension or +1 mag extension I on the grip. 27 does snap a bit more than the 26 but its not bad. Practice a bit. 27 is a great gun

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Grip extensions help a lot. Try using 180 grain ammunition, less snap IMO. When it’s possible, buy a 9mm conversion barrel.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking
When it’s possible, buy a 9mm conversion barrel.

Would he also need a 9mm extractor?

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'd recommend putting the 27 away for later, and getting a .22 with similar feel/characteristics to learn to shoot a handgun with. The 27 will likely not get cheaper anytime soon. Trigger time with light recoil is your friend when practicing basics.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by CasualShooter
I'd recommend putting the 27 away for later, and getting a .22 with similar feel/characteristics to learn to shoot a handgun with. The 27 will likely not get cheaper anytime soon. *****Trigger time with light recoil is your friend when practicing basics.*****

Very good advice, don't fugg yourself up from the start.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Did you buy it for carry? If not, sell it and buy a 17 or 19 or 48.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by viking
When it’s possible, buy a 9mm conversion barrel.

Would he also need a 9mm extractor?

I never did.... but does need 9mm mags

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Glock27 is not the easiest pistol to shoot well, IME. That's due largely, IME, to the recoil.

You can do some things to manage the recoil, but it's never going to be soft in that gun. And never, ever like a G17.

Everybody's gonna argue about how to hold a gun. I'll offer this advice and let everyone else disagree. For newer shooters, in fact for everyone who's not really, really good, it's generally best to just hold the gun as tight as you can with both hands. There are some nuances to make that better, but most people just parrot them and can't replicate them under stress or when they're not actually thinking about them. But they can hold the gun as tight as they can, without conscious thought and under stress, and it's a grip that might not be perfect--but is good enough to start focusing on other aspects of your shooting.

There are two signs you should look for that you're holding the gun too tight.
1-The gun starts shaking. This is the one that people most often look for, but isn't really a grip issue, is the gun shaking. Try this--Hold the gun as tight as you can until it starts shaking. Then consciously relax your back, shoulders, and biceps. The shake goes away 99% of the time. Shake is a product of arm / shoulder tension NOT grip tension. Which is good for us because we should be holding the gun with our hands NOT our whole body.

2-You get trigger freeze. The human hand was not designed to grip tightly with three fingers and move the fourth independently. So when you grip very tightly it can be hard to move your trigger finger. If that happens, relax your firing hand grip VERY slightly.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
john39;

My advice would be to buy yourself a Glock 44-22LR to go with your Glock 27

And, shoot,shoot, shoot it, to learn trigger control and hand eye coordination.

Besides that, they are just lots of FUN to shoot!'' ( I own one myself! )

After you have mastered the 22LR, THEN you'll be ready for the 27

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, you guys are all slipping......

Originally Posted by john39
Hello calguns,

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G27 is a great firearm, but poor choice for a new shooter. You will need to do a lot of shooting using basic fundamentals. I like "firm" handshake tight grip for shooting. Thumbs forward grip is all i use for semi autos.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Re Hickock's recoil control; He probably shoots more with all kinds of handguns than 95% of all handgun shooters, looks like he's got some good sized hands. I'd bet most of us can't shoot as well as him.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good Heavens I am sure glad I didn't get the memo about the horrendous recoil of the Glock M27. I wouldn't have bought one. Glad I didn't see that horrendous recoil exerted on Hickok Too. I would have swooned and fainted away.
Maybe I need to sell my Glock M27 and just keep my 44 Mags for the mild recoil.
It takes all kinds for sure.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stay with it. slow down and concentrate on the basics of marksmanship until you can call each shot. Start close, maybe 7 yards on a 3" target. When you can put a magazine in it, speed up a little. Repeat and move back. 6" plates at 25 yards are no problem after a while.

If you can find some Tula 180 grain FMJ, it is the softest shooting 40 S&W ammo I've tried.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Get a .22 of your choice and start there. Master it. When you can put 5 rounds in 2" circle at 10 yards you're off to a great start. The G27, as others have said, is a handful. There's no honor being lost by starting with and forever practicing with a .22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Stay with it. slow down and concentrate on the basics of marksmanship until you can call each shot. Start close, maybe 7 yards on a 3" target. When you can put a magazine in it, speed up a little. Repeat and move back. 6" plates at 25 yards are no problem after a while.

If you can find some Tula 180 grain FMJ, it is the softest shooting 40 S&W ammo I've tried.

When it comes to new guns the Gen 5 Glock 27 is one of the best impulse buys one can make. I had to use neoprene diver gloves (something I had handy and suitable at that time) to shoot old Walther PPS. It was the original slim single stack 9x19 striker fired pistol with plastic frame. The thing would hit base of my thumb every time I pressed the trigger. Funny thing, the only pistol I have consistently shot better was Soviet Makarov with toyish red bakelite grips. I got rid of the Makarov to get a Glock because it was more advanced pistol in a better caliber. I sold the Walther after I discovered that removal of back strap rendered pistol useless. I do not shoot the Glock as well as I shot the Makarov or the Walther PPS, but I still have the Glock. Man, all you need with legendary G27 is right gloves more practice and patience.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Did you buy it for carry? If not, sell it and buy a 17 or 19 or 48.

Even if you did buy it for carry, trade if for a 19 or 48.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Re Hickock...I'd bet most of us can't shoot as well as him.
wink

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.