Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
ribka Online Sleepy OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Hunting the last few days of Wt deer in N Idaho. Drove up into the mountains where I saw a decent buck a few days ago in a clearcut up top.. Started snowing pretty good in the upper Selkirks. About 2 feet and still coming down hard so decided to head to lower elevations. I took a shorter route through a remote mountain pass. Pretty big pucker factor as did not have the chains along. lol

that why they make 4 low

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ribka; 12/01/20.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Beautiful country up your way.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ribka
Hunting the last few days of Wt deer in N Idaho. Drove up into the mountains where I saw a decent buck a few days ago in a clearcut up top.. Started snowing pretty good in the upper Selkirks. About 2 feet and still coming down hard so decided to head to lower elevations. I took a shorter route through a remote mountain pass. Pretty big pucker factor as did not have the chains along. lol

that why they make 4 low

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Love north Idaho. Also, just bought a set of Trac-Grabbers for that exact reason. Sometimes snow runs me out of my hunting country here, too. Believe it or not.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had to "tow a tree" a few times doing that.

Cut a tree down and attach a chain or rope to it and make a drag. You pull it down hill and up hill and the pull on the center of the rear bumper or hitch keeps the rear of your rig from trying to pass the front.
In central Idaho and also in the Sierras a few times I have had to do that to get down a mountain after the snows came in at night. The tree needs to be fairly large to have enough drag and weight to stop the rig from spinning and pulling it in low range you can feel the tires working just to get down hill. Not good for gas mileage, but VERY good for keeping you from going over an edge and ending up in a wreck.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Scared on a plowed road? Laffin.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by callnum

You really are an idiot.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Springcove

You really are an idiot.

I understand city slickers can’t tell a plowed road.

Totally understandable

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
lol

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have installed chains in those conditions, on the back wheels, when I was pulling a trailer with four horses, and had no brakes on my buddy's trailer.

I will even add chains to the front wheels without a trailer if the snow hits the front bumper.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]Awesome photo. I crossed over Cottonwood Pass in October of 2019 in a freaky blinding whiteout snowstorm that came outta nowhere. No fun. Pretty big pucker factor there too.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Snows no problem as long as it’s not too deep. It’s the packed ice on a grade that will pucker you up. I’ve already used my corks this year, those chains rock.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by szihn
I have had to "tow a tree" a few times doing that.

Cut a tree down and attach a chain or rope to it and make a drag. You pull it down hill and up hill and the pull on the center of the rear bumper or hitch keeps the rear of your rig from trying to pass the front.
In central Idaho and also in the Sierras a few times I have had to do that to get down a mountain after the snows came in at night. The tree needs to be fairly large to have enough drag and weight to stop the rig from spinning and pulling it in low range you can feel the tires working just to get down hill. Not good for gas mileage, but VERY good for keeping you from going over an edge and ending up in a wreck.

That’s a great tip, I hope I never have to use it.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That does not look fun.

Yup.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I got stuck a few weeks ago when I was hunting in central Montana. The trails were pretty clear for the most part, but there was one stretch, about a mile long, in a low area that had a ton of drifted snow piled up. I thought I could get through it and was wrong. Buried the truck pretty good and had to abandon it. I had chains with me, but I didn't think the snow was so deep and didn't walk the trail first to check snow depths. By the time I was stuck, it was too late for chains.

After a few other guys helped me to get back to my cabin (and then home), I ordered a set of trac grabbers as well as knock-off maxtrax. The maxtrax and a bit of shovel work got me out in about 5 minutes. I now keep the chains, trac grabbers and maxtrax in the truck at all times in winter and am looking for how to really get stuck next time.

Last edited by Remsen; 12/01/20.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

You really are an idiot.

Totally understandable

Nice try dumbfugk. Look up the Wasatch Mountains in Utah you idiot. Or the Unitas or the Sierras or the Sawtooths

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

You really are an idiot.

Totally understandable

Nice try dumbfugk. Look up the Wasatch Mountains in Utah you idiot. Or the Unitas or the Sierras or the Sawtooths

Waste of time, millennial's know everything.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remsen
I got stuck a few weeks ago when I was hunting in central Montana. The trails were pretty clear for the most part, but there was one stretch, about a mile long, in a low area that had a ton of drifted snow piled up. I thought I could get through it and was wrong. Buried the truck pretty good and had to abandon it. I had chains with me, but I didn't think the snow was so deep and didn't walk the trail first to check snow depths. By the time I was stuck, it was too late for chains.

After a few other guys helped me to get back to my cabin (and then home), I ordered a set of trac grabbers as well as knock-off maxtrax. The maxtrax and a bit of shovel work got me out in about 5 minutes. I know keep the chains, trac grabbers and maxtrax in the truck at all times in winter and am looking for how to really get stuck next time.

Like I tell my son - if think you might need chains, you should already have them on. Of course I learned that lesson the hard way laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
How to really get stuck? That is easy. All you need is eight inches of new powder accompanied by 30 mph winds followed by a warm wind and 1/2 inch of rain.

Every wind sheltered section of road will be drifted 3 to 4 feet deep. And those drifts will be dense as hell.

You can hit them at about 25 mph in a 72 lifted K5 Blazer, and then you will find yourself high centered on the drift with the tires about a foot off the ground..Chains do not help.

All you can do is get out and shovel snow until you get the tires back down to pavement.

I think it was the winter of 1979. It took me three hours to make the first two miles of county roads, and then I found the plowed parts.

It was another three days before the county got those two miles dug out. In the meantime, I went back to driving my 71 Celica. It would toboggan over the drifts, if they were not to long, and I had done enough shoveling to ensure they were not.

It was a lot of fun getting to work and home for those four days, but I never missed a shift, nor was I tardy.

Oh to be 25 years old again.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

You really are an idiot.

Totally understandable

Then you are either blind or stupid (maybe both) if you can't tell that road has been plowed. I've backed up more miles on those kind of roads then you driven forward.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Snows no problem as long as it’s not too deep. It’s the packed ice on a grade that will pucker you up. I’ve already used my corks this year, those chains rock.

Ditto.
I damn near got into a fender bender on a steep and blind curve on a mountain road 3 days ago due to the packed ice, on a road a lot like in the picture. Two pickups had already slid into each other and were completely blocking the road. Luckily I got stopped, but in doing so I slid off the road and had one tire almost over a steep embankment. I finagled my chains on and backed up a half mile to a place I could turn around and took the long way home. Without chains I would have been stuck there until the next day when someone could help yank me out, and get the other two vics out of the roadway.

Chains are an absolute godsend. The next day, I took my wheeler into the area, instead of messing around with a full sized vehicle. It made getting around oncoming vehicles sooooo much easier...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (12308300, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.