Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
My JC Higgins model 51-l is small ring HVA clone and is growing on me fast ,my model 50 came to me as a 338-06 and needs no changes at all just more time in the field. MB

Your 51-L IS a SR HVA action, say's so on the side. The stock and barrel however are different than what Husqvarna produced. Some of my favorite actions. Mine is currently being rebarreled to .338-06.

Both rifles were great values and show just how much times have changed. Heck, a friend and I were talking last night about the first rifles we got and it turns out we both purchased Glenfield 30A's from JC Penny of all places.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Poor choice of words or the use of them by me. My other HVA sr is stamped on the barrel High Standard model H-100 both have the same barrels length and contour. Somebody in the past removed the ramp frt sight off the 51-l but the rear sight is in place but taller than the one on the h-100. The 51-l has a monte carlo sporter stock with checkering where as the h-100 has straight stock no checkering. I imagine there were other HVA sr action used on other brands maybe. Be my guess both have exactly the same barrels by High Standard I believe they were chrome lined? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Poor choice of words or the use of them by me. My other HVA sr is stamped on the barrel High Standard model H-100 both have the same barrels length and contour. Somebody in the past removed the ramp frt sight off the 51-l but the rear sight is in place but taller than the one on the h-100. The 51-l has a monte carlo sporter stock with checkering where as the h-100 has straight stock no checkering. I imagine there were other HVA sr action used on other brands maybe. Be my guess both have exactly the same barrels by High Standard I believe they were chrome lined? Mb

I know for certain the model 50 & 51 were barreled by High Standard and had chrome lined barrels. My 51-L however came to me sans barrel. It's cool that you have examples labels as High Standard and JC Higgins! also nice to know barrel contours were the same. Good info, thanks.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had a jc Higgins 35-36 years a go in 30-06 same hva sr action bottom metal and all ,it shot ok don't remember why' I peddled it. About 25 years back another in 270 w that needed some work that I did on it for fun and peddled it because the previous owner had whacked the barrel to 20". 20 " barrel 270's have to be experienced to fully appreciate what excessive muzzle blast is. The current pair are both 270 wins fairly light and a joy to carry. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by z1r
Jim Kobe typically offers two position Model 70 style safeties for sale.

Jim rebarreled my model 50 in 270 win to 9.3x62 added a Timney trigger and a side swing safety. The barrel is a Shilen #3 . Cerakoted by Charley Santoni and stocked by Mcmillan. One of my favorites and loves the 250 Accubond at 2650 fps.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Somewhat off topic, but does anyone know if a JC Higgins LR barrel can be fit to a VZ 24 action?

Looking to throw together an I don't care truck gun.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are threaded the same but bear in mind that it may not index (sights) when screwed in. Also, the bore is chromed so consider that in case you would have to adjust the chamber depth. There are tons of inexpensive Mauser barrels both used and new that might better suit your needs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by z1r
There are tons of inexpensive Mauser barrels both used and new that might better suit your needs.

......... or just buy a complete beater gun and save the price of the bbl and gunsmithing.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by z1r
There are tons of inexpensive Mauser barrels both used and new that might better suit your needs.

......... or just buy a complete beater gun and save the price of the bbl and gunsmithing.

Where's the fun in that? :-)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by z1r

Where's the fun in that? :-)

I totally agree, but if it's just an "I don't care truck gun". smile

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"The dovetail cut is above the chamber, just in front of the receiver ring, and the "long leaf" rear sight is reversed from what we are used to seeing."

That's why I had the one I had in .270 rebarreled to 7x57. I didn't like that thinner portion of metal so close to my face.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks Gents for the repliesI
I have $25 into the action and $40 into the barrel so I'm not looking for a custom! I already have too many rifles that I don't want to scratch. At some point maybe I will pass it over to the smith and see what he can do.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"The dovetail cut is above the chamber, just in front of the receiver ring, and the "long leaf" rear sight is reversed from what we are used to seeing."

That's why I had the one I had in .270 rebarreled to 7x57. I didn't like that thinner portion of metal so close to my face.
Paul B.

I wonder if anyone knows why they did that?

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by PJGunner

Paul B.

This thread is a good read for those of us that are interested in the Model 50. I had one in 30-06 and regret letting it go. Thought I would easily find another, but as you may suspect that has not been the case.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
On the HVA sr action with high standard barrel ,the barrel has a lump like pre 64 70 barrels about 4" in frt of the receiver for the dovetail rear sight. MB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
Built by FN?

Yup .....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bought my 50 last spring on gunbroker for $300 with a crap plastic stock. But had a 4x Leupold and a Timney trigger. Bought a 51 stock here on classified. I’m all in for $425. Can’t beat that with a new gun. Shoots many loads well.

Doe from last fall.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cheesy,

"Bought my 50 last spring on gunbroker for $300 with a crap plastic stock. But had a 4x Leupold and a Timney trigger. "

hell of a deal!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a barreled action in 30-06 if anyone is interested

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I have a barreled action in 30-06 if anyone is interested

22WRF,

I sent you a PM.

Gun Doc

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,251
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.