Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Q
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Q
Deer are absolutely pushed by snowfall in the UP but I don’t know if its 50 miles. Wouldn’t surprise me though. I hunt in the Huron mtns and I can absolutely verify it pushes them to lower altitudes...keep in mind we are talking lake effect snow so the snowfall levels are very localized. 200 ft in elevation can mean the difference in 20 inches in snow in a days time no joke. That said weve shot good deer in deep snow

And yes KY women are several leagues above the bovines we have up here. I imported my woman from out of state.

The UP is awesome...but I’d you want 150 class white tails...head to Iowa LOL

GOD Bless America
GB1

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by joken2

All of KY is 1 antlered deer limit. Many of the counties in Eastern KY are in zones #3 & #4 for bag limits on deer which mean hunters are restricted to taking a much more limited number of deer and also restricted as to types of weapon used vs zones #1 & #2.

https://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Documents/HuntingGuideDeer.pdf

2020 DEER HUNTING

DEER BAG LIMITS: Only one antlered deer may be harvested statewide, regardless of zone or method.

ZONE 1A hunter may harvest an unlimited number of antlerless deer in Zone 1 using the statewide deer permit and additional deer permits.

ZONE 2A hunter may harvest no more than four deer in Zone 2.

ZONE 3A hunter may harvest no more than four deer in Zone 3. A firearm or air gun cannot be used to take more than one antlerless deer.

ZONE 4A hunter may harvest no more than two deer in Zone 4. Only one can be antlerless. Antlerless deer cannot be harvested during the modern gun season, the early muzzleloader season or the first six days of the late muzzleloader season. The statewide bag limit of one antlered deer still applies.

It's been several years ago but deer hunting was completely shut down in parts of Eastern KY for a few years after a bunch of woodland burned up from fires set by hunters trying to drive deer.

Never heard that one before ....They shut the season down in the early 90s to stock deer and let them get established ...They were very low numbers when I was growing up in the 70s no one hunted deer and if you saw a track it was a big deal ....I grew up in Pike county and Own several hundred AC of reclaimed strip mine....

Does the reclaimed land make good deer habitat. I would think it would. Lots of second growth.

Yes very good...The only problem is its so thick its hard to hunt.....The Autumn Olives are out of control !!!!!!! Every year I spend a couple of days to open up the Trails ....The strip has been reclaimed about 20 years and it is just starting to thin out a little so you can see thru the under growth......It is not uncommon to see 20 deer per day ......with 3 or 4 being antlered deer....I was seeing up to 30 per day before EHD Hit ...They high wall mined about 7 years ago and when they reclaimed they planted clover .....It makes for some healthy deer....

Do you get any quail on your land. It seems like reclaimed mine can be good cover for them.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The winter of 95-96 we lost upwards of 200K deer up there. And then the next year we got hit hard again with long lasting snow. Deer can handle it for a while, but when there's still a couple feet on the ground in April there's going to be substantial deer kill. The UP deer populations have never recovered IMHO. Throw in unchecked wolf predation and you can see why the numbers stay low. The only strong populations are over by the WI border in Dickinson and Menominee Counties. These counties don't get the lake effect snow that the Superior shore receives every year and have a more agriculture. The east end has agriculture too, but doesn't see the deer numbers like they do.

There is a migration. We used to hunt it when the conditions lined up with the season. There's a well worn migration trail east of Seney crossing M28 where the lowland bogs give way to the hardwood uplands. I've hunted most counties in the UP and can't say one is better than the other. Most of the camps are west of M35. A lot of these camps have blinds with only one 15 foot wide, 50 to 100yd long shooting lane through the cedars where at the end lies a huge pile of bait. They stare out the blind window until a racked buck shows up. The guys that hunt public are usually a little bit more mobile. There are some very good hunters who do the spot and stalk thing. The get on good bucks most years. My favorite hunting was usually solo, later during the muzzleloader season - cut a set of big tracks in a foot of fluffy snow and stay on them until it's fruition. Didn't work out very often but the hunts were spectacular. Got a couple on the wall that way too.

I saw the biggest buck I've ever laid eyes on, dead in a trailer, outside the Tally-Ho in Curtis about 25 years ago. 5 X 8 bed with the rack propped up in front and the back legs hanging out the back. It had to be 300+ on the hoof. It attracted quite a crowd. Saw it again when it won big buck night on a Michigan outdoors show.

Teal sums it up well. There's more to the UP than just bagging a buck; the camps, the camaraderie, the fishing - trout, walleye, whitefish, smelt - the hiking, atvs, the pasties, the smoked fish, Trenary Toast, Yooper Dome, snowmobiles, the Packers, Mighty Mac and on and on. And the freedom. Haven't lived up there in years, but I'm dying to get back.

post script: As of 12/1/20 the bridge count is down 33% for the season.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by joken2

All of KY is 1 antlered deer limit. Many of the counties in Eastern KY are in zones #3 & #4 for bag limits on deer which mean hunters are restricted to taking a much more limited number of deer and also restricted as to types of weapon used vs zones #1 & #2.

https://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Documents/HuntingGuideDeer.pdf

2020 DEER HUNTING

DEER BAG LIMITS: Only one antlered deer may be harvested statewide, regardless of zone or method.

ZONE 1A hunter may harvest an unlimited number of antlerless deer in Zone 1 using the statewide deer permit and additional deer permits.

ZONE 2A hunter may harvest no more than four deer in Zone 2.

ZONE 3A hunter may harvest no more than four deer in Zone 3. A firearm or air gun cannot be used to take more than one antlerless deer.

ZONE 4A hunter may harvest no more than two deer in Zone 4. Only one can be antlerless. Antlerless deer cannot be harvested during the modern gun season, the early muzzleloader season or the first six days of the late muzzleloader season. The statewide bag limit of one antlered deer still applies.

It's been several years ago but deer hunting was completely shut down in parts of Eastern KY for a few years after a bunch of woodland burned up from fires set by hunters trying to drive deer.

Never heard that one before ....They shut the season down in the early 90s to stock deer and let them get established ...They were very low numbers when I was growing up in the 70s no one hunted deer and if you saw a track it was a big deal ....I grew up in Pike county and Own several hundred AC of reclaimed strip mine....

Yep, sure did, late '80s - early'90s as I recall, but I can't seem to find any old news references to it now.

Restocking deer from Wisconsin to a few counties here in Western KY started in the early '60s and1973 was KY's first deer hunting season of just 3 days, antlered only and if I recall correctly there was a minimum antler requirement too.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
If you like snow and cold, I assume Michigan is your place

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you stay in KY longer than 48 hours, your IQ will drop significantly

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Trump 2020

Last edited by BobBrown; 12/01/20.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
yes we have quail

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BobBrown
If you stay in KY longer than 48 hours, your IQ will drop significantly

Amazing, they went Trump.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never even been to the UP let alone hunted there. But I've lived in Eastern Kentucky so I'd say the UP. Has to be better, if not the deer hunting then everything else.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 19352012
I've never even been to the UP let alone hunted there. But I've lived in Eastern Kentucky so I'd say the UP. Has to be better, if not the deer hunting then everything else.

Cock?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by viking
Doesn't everyone? I'm going up to Marquette in mid January to do some snowshoeing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BtailHunter
Originally Posted by 19352012

Cock?

Oh look, another worn out old man with the gay hate. Why are you geezers so fixated on gay sex? Friggin weird.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Lol! NoDak can get awfully sporty in that department too. Saw 20 below on a late season duck hunt near Cando. If Hell didn’t freeze over that day it wasn’t for lack of trying.

Q
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Q

Don’t forget fat women

GOD Bless America
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Quak

Don’t forget fat women

Sorta like mopeds. (which you can only ride two months of the year up there - fat chicks are year ‘round)

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by shaman
If it were me, I'd be starting my camp in Zone 1 of KY, not over in the east. In Zone 1 you can shoot as many antlerless deer as you want.

Everyone in Eastern KY is btchn that they're not seeing any deer. Zone 1 is crawling with deer. My camp is on the Pendleton/Bracken line in SW Bracken County. I've got deer coming up and sticking their heads in the bedroom window. We took 7 deer/3 antlered bucks off 200 acres this year. We could have kept going, but the freezers are going to be filled as it is.

Check out my weblog (link in the sig line).

Do NOT listen to this guy ^^^^^^.... The fact that there is a private deer hunting camp with high dollar clients set up on former river bottom farm half way between my farm and Shaman's place is purely coincidental. The fact that the #5 typical 10 point WT was taken about a mile and a half line of sight off my front porch is also totally coincidental. Don't waste your time in KY Zone 1....

<sarcasm off>

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I depends on where in KY you go. Some areas have lots of deer and flatter ground, some areas are farmland/woods, some are tough steep terrain w/ less hunting pressure, and some areas are gentle rolling hills. Anywhere in the state can produce large deer, but finding the right place for you will require some travel, study, and leg work. KY seldom has as cold and snowy weather as the UP, but some like it colder, so it's a personal choice....the two places are much different..

Last edited by reivertom; 12/01/20.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Every time I drove east on US 2, every state I went through was 5 degrees warmer.

What sucks about the yoop is how long winter drags on for, and the damn overcast days.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Theeck
Maybe I’ll plan a trip to the UP for deer season next year. Unless there is a place to find cabin rentals, I would hunt from a wall tent. That would be a fun adventure. I’d probably end up solo, though. My hunting buddies like the comfort of a warm cabin and a short walk to a tree stand. I’m going to start researching. That would give me a taste of the area before buying. Thanks for all of the help guys.

I am seeing cabins with 40 acres in KY for under $80k. I like that price but don’t want to be shot by moonshiners or meth cookers. I’ll keep looking but plan to take the UP for a test ride next year.

So you think there are no moonshiners or meth cookers in The UP??

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

395 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,227
Posts18,447,699
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.