Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK, Gents, I picked up a 2014 Polaris Ranger Crew 800 EFI today. One owner, garage kept, 277 actual miles. It's all factory right now. This is my first side X side though I've owned numerous quads over the years. First on the list is changing all of the fluids, which I'll try to knock out this weekend. I know I want a windshield and roof, and possibly doors down the road (just has cargo nets now). I don't know squat about this stuff (yet) but would like to order a windshield very soon. I don't want to toss out tons 'o cash but don't want junk either. What do you fellas recommend? I want a full windshield, and want ventilation for the hot summer months.

Not exactly an action shot, but It's what I've got right now.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by SockPuppet; 12/03/20.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Superatv windshield. WINDSHIELD

I love this thing on my Razor. Most of them have to be closed when on rough trails. This one can be left open while riding. It's made of polycarbonate and is very durable. It has 3 positions - closed, vent (a 2 or 3" gap at the bottom), and open.
Read up on cleaning it. Don't just wipe off the dust. Dust is abrasive and wiping it dry is like using 1000 grit sandpaper on it. I carry a small spray bottle of cleaner and a soft cloth to clean it. This applies to all polycarb windows, not just this one.

hint - they recommend that when trailering, tie a rope or strap around the bottom to keep it shut. The latch is quite strong but if it should come loose and flip up, a 70 mph wind is going to damage it.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About that cleaning of plastic stuff - that applies to plastic eye glasses, too. Wiping them with a dry rag will leave tiny scratches that reduce the life expectancy of your glasses. Only clean them wet.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, RC, That looks like a good option. Do you find that you use it in the open position? I've read that the 1-piece with vents in the bottom are more solid.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We use it open whenever possible. Open allows dust to blow through instead of swirling inside the cab. The vent position helps with dust but open is better. Also, visibility is much better with nothing in front of you. It's more outdoors which is the whole point of riding.
OTOH, a couple weeks ago we were driving it while elk hunting a desert area at -2. Closing it was the difference between hunting and saying screw this.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Changed all the fluids and went over everything to make sure it's ready to rock, then cleaned it up. I've put about 50 miles on it so far and really like it!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks good. There have been a few times when we wished we had a 4 seater but what we have is a 50" so it'll fit in the back of our pickup plus being able to ride on limited width atv trails. No one makes a 50" 4 seater.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We may ad a 2-seater 50" fun machine down the road. We still have kids at home and often have extras around, so this model will work well for us. It's not a power-house so it's great for them to drive around on, too. We have BLM about an 1/8 mile from the house with vast amounts of space to explore, so it should see as much trail riding as work.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 12/07/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
800CC is what I have in our '12 Polaris RZR 50" 2 seater. It weighs about 1000 curb wt. I'm guessing yours weighs a LOT more than that and with the same engine. They sell a lot of 1000's.

Something to be aware of with that engine (I guess it's the same one in the '12 and the '14). There's a little oil pressure relief valve down inside the engine. If you don't keep the oil changed regularly, it can stick shut, letting the oil pressure build to the point that it stalls the engine. If that happens, the fix is to completely dismantle the engine and replace it. The part costs $10, the labor will top $1000. The mechanic told me to run only Polaris PS4 oil. A lot of guys use Mobile 1 and that's what I was using but he said that there's an additive in the PS4 that helps prevent the sticking. He said it's a very rare problem but expensive when it happens. I guess I won the lottery on that one. Mobile 1 and PS4 cost about the same so I just use what they recommend. It's a lot cheaper on Amazon or Ebay than you'll get it for locally.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info, RC. I used all Polaris fluids/parts for this service. The oil change kit was $35 and the kit for the other fluids was $55, so ~$100 for everything. Air filter looks brand new so I didn't worry about it. I ordered the windshield you recommended this morning.

This machine weighs ~1500 lbs. dry but performs pretty well for what it is. My Dad has a 900 Ranger single cab that performs very well, and a friend of mine has a Razr 1000 turbo that's in a whole different league. This one will do what I need and will hopefully provide good service. I'd strongly considered a new Kawasaki Mule Pro but didn't like the price as I prefer to pay cash for toys.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 12/07/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you need the raised seat and roof so the kids have a place to shoot from....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22
you need the raised seat and roof so the kids have a place to shoot from....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
I'd raise that seat at least 6". When a jackrabbit pops up at 20 yds someone's going to hit the roof.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's a pretty cool set-up

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I got the SuperATV flip-up windshield installed today. Thanks for the rec, RC! I think I'm going to like it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks good. Yours lifts higher than ours. Ours is almost horizontal when open.

We bought ours used, too. It came with some nice options added, like...

steel doors. I don't know the brand, they aren't labeled, but they're just the right height to rest an arm on. I made vinyl covered foam pads for them as it got hard on the arm. Also, they were black and got really hot in the sun, enough to burn your knees if they touched it. I extended the pads down inside to rest my knee against and I painted the outside white. That cooled them down a lot. They really help in sagebrush although they get scratched up. I painted them with a stock Rustoleum color so I can just touch them up when they get too scratched up.
hard roof. Cabelas brand. I added some driving lights on top with switches over the drivers seat
skid plate: it's some kind of fiber stuff that extends full length and width. It makes a big difference when bouncing over rocks and we have plenty of those

I added this stuff. We don't have much mud or sand. We have rocks, so I added some stuff to help with those.

2" lift kit: I found one pretty cheap and it only took an hour to install. It just extends the shock brackets 2".
Sedona Ripsaw tires. These are the best rock tires I've found. They're so-so in mud and will bury you in soft sand. I went 1 size larger which with the lift kit gave me a 3" lift.
winch: I added a 3500lb Viper winch. In 3 years the only time I've needed it other than for plowing snow, we got high centered on frozen snow. The only anchor I could find was a sagebrush and it pulled that out by the roots. Good thing I had an army entrenching tool with me. Now I have to invent some kind of anchor to carry with us. I think a couple cut down steel fence posts and a heavy hammer should do it.

[Linked Image from images.rockymountainatvmc.com]

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rock Chuck,

Carry some earth anchors/ trap anchors with you for flatland no-tree winch anchors. You have to leave them behind most times, but they do work VERY well. 4 or 5 will pull out a pickup truck. They drive in with a long metal rod. You can make your own or buy them pre-made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWZTa8BKZuQ

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info, gents. I've already ordered the stuff for a winch install, some LED driving and backup lights, and a few other things. Haven't decided on the roof yet but will ad one. I'll also be ordering a street legal kit for it as I registered it as an on-road vehicle.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shortside
Rock Chuck,

Carry some earth anchors/ trap anchors with you for flatland no-tree winch anchors. You have to leave them behind most times, but they do work VERY well. 4 or 5 will pull out a pickup truck. They drive in with a long metal rod. You can make your own or buy them pre-made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWZTa8BKZuQ
Those should work. However, I have a large stack of old steel fence posts on hand and a 3lb hammer. I can just cut a couple off about 18" above the fin and pound them in.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a bigger hammer......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We don't have rocks here. grin

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

386 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 46 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,001
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.