Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Forbes rifle is the 24 action at least for medium cartridges, the 08 cartridges are on the model 20 but I don't think many were made. If you want the real thing get a NULA and maybe even go with a #1 contour barrel. At one time Melvin made more .284s than any other cartridge. A 6.5x284 NULA is very tempting to me, but I have a 6.5x55 Forbes so some what redundant.

Melvin is getting close to retiring so I would not wait, as soon as you are over the sticker shock you will not regret the choice. Try to see if you can handle one, I think the stocks are great but some don't care for the ergonomics.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DBoston
The Forbes rifle is the 24 action at least for medium cartridges, the 08 cartridges are on the model 20 but I don't think many were made. If you want the real thing get a NULA and maybe even go with a #1 contour barrel. At one time Melvin made more .284s than any other cartridge. A 6.5x284 NULA is very tempting to me, but I have a 6.5x55 Forbes so some what redundant.

Melvin is getting close to retiring so I would not wait, as soon as you are over the sticker shock you will not regret the choice. Try to see if you can handle one, I think the stocks are great but some don't care for the ergonomics.

That's the problem, I have never seen one. I never have heard bad things about them and like you said they come in .284 Win.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I just got my Forbes NULA back from him yesterday. It’s a 7mm-08. I had him rebarrel it with the same contour as was on the Forbes with a stainless barrel. He cut the stock to the correct length and repainted it. He refinished the action, replaced the trigger with his three position trigger, replaced the magazine spring, and put a new trigger guard in it. It is basically a brand new rifle and a NULA in almost every way. I could not be happier and I can’t wait to pop a deer or two with it next weekend.

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/02/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a ULA in 284 Win. Nice to have had one and tried it. Just wasn't for me. And I think it was around the time he was having staffing issues as service was less than spectacular. I'd do a 7mm-08 Montana or something similar if I needed a lightweight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I just got my Forbes NULA back from him yesterday. It’s a 7mm-08. I had him rebarrel it with the same contour as was on the Forbes with a stainless barrel. He cut the stock to the correct length and repainted it. He refinished the action, replaced the trigger with his three position trigger, replaced the magazine spring, and put a new trigger guard in it. It is basically a brand new rifle and a NULA in almost every way. I could not be happier and I can’t wait to pop a deer or two with it next weekend.

Jealous. Enjoy it!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve been jonesing for a Nula but on the fence about going full Nula or having him rework a CLR or Forbes. I figure I could save $1000-1400 but in the end would I be happy.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JSmith62198
I’ve been jonesing for a Nula but on the fence about going full Nula or having him rework a CLR or Forbes. I figure I could save $1000-1400 but in the end would I be happy.

Only you can answer on the happy part.

One thing to note, the CLR actions were magnum action sized (even if they were a 06/270 standard bolt face), which is the Model 28 size that Mr. Forbes produces. This means they are ~4 oz's heavier than a standard bolt face NULA or Forbes long action (Model 24). If you're going to have it reworked to a 7mm mag or 300 mag it will be the same/same. Only an issue if you're focusing on weight.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

There really isn’t any reason why you wouldn’t be happy. Like I said, I just got my reworked Forbes back and it is for all intents and purposes a brand new rifle. Heck, I looked at the bolt face and it doesn’t even look like it has ever been fired. I’m sure he didn’t replace the bolt, but he refinished it so that it looks brand new.

The Forbes rifle already was dimensionally an exact copy of the NULA with the exact same stock. It just wasn’t as refined and had a different trigger. After a rework by Melvin, the only difference is that it still says Forbes Rifle on the receiver.

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/04/20.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I don't know what a NULA costs these days, but I've had a Model 28 in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart Magnum for about ten years; ordered it new. It weighs about seven pounds or slightly less with a 26" #3 barrel and a Leupold 2.5x - 8x scope. I think Mr. Forbes added a little weight somewhere for balance. Now on it's third barrel, it's been a perfect elk rifle.

Opinions vary, but if I was buying a rifle and the savings difference between a reworked rifle and a NULA was $1000 - $1400, it might be a tough choice. However, I'm pretty sure desirability and resale value might steer me in the direction of a NULA.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think I would be happy with either one in the aspect of performance. I am more referring to me always wanting a Melvin Forbes built rifle.

I would more than likely go with a 24 in 280ai either way do it would be a tad heavier using the CLR. I do like the Forbes, converts CLRs as well but may night the bullet and get on the books for a full Nula. I appreciate all of the insights.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think I would be happy with either one in the aspect of performance. I am more referring to me always wanting a Melvin Forbes built rifle.

I would more than likely go with a 24 in 280ai either way do it would be a tad heavier using the CLR. I do like the Forbes, converts CLRs as well but may night the bullet and get on the books for a full Nula. I appreciate all of the insights.

I mean unless you want to get too wrapped up in the fact that the action wasn’t made in his shop, it is a Melvin Forbes built rifle. He put the barrel on. He chambered it. He fit the stock. He trued the action. He put his trigger on it. He bedded it. He put the new pad on it. He refinished the action and bolt. And he painted the stock. I’m not too sure what else he could do to “build” the rifle except open up a forge and hand make the parts.

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/04/20.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob

I mean unless you want to get too wrapped up in the fact that the action wasn’t made in his shop, it is a Melvin Forbes built rifle. He put the barrel on. He chambered it. He fit the stock. He trued the action. He put his trigger on it. He bedded it. He put the new pad on it. He refinished the action and bolt. And he painted the stock. I’m not too sure what else he could do to “build” the rifle except open up a forge and hand make the parts.

All very valid points.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have both, a Model 24 NULA and Model 24B Forbes. I sent the Forbes to Melvin and he looked over the rifle, shortened the LOP, repainted the stock, and installed one of his triggers. The only difference in appearance between the 2 rifles is the NULA has a stainless barrel and the Forbes barrel is a black CM. Of course the NULA action says NULA and the Forbes says Forbes.

As far as function, there is no difference between the two. I would not hesitate to go the Forbes/CLR route if you aren't hung up on what name is on the action. As a matter of fact, I have been looking hard for a Forbes Model 20B for over a year to send to Melvin.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
just about all the forbes and fieldcraft models have dried up in the used market the last year or two...i sent melvin two model 20b to rework and havent seen one since then that could be bought to do that again..i guess all the people who didnt like them have gotten rid of them at this point

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,839 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.