Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Ticks are some scary stuff! Not scary enough to keep me out of the woods, but some scary stuff! I use a lint roller to go over myself when I get out of the woods, really picks off the crawling little biotches on the clothes.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
It's been worth it to me to have my outdoor clothes treated by Insect Shield:

https://www.insectshield.com/

Watched a live tick completely stop moving after being on my treated pants leg for 20 minutes.

I have no relationship with the company apart from being a customer. This stuff really works!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by longarm
Damn.. there's a cautionary tale if there ever was one.
Glad you recovered!

Thank you, me too!

I remember reading about a guy out West that got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick bite. The infection spread so rapidly, they had to amputate both arms and both legs within a week of his bite.

Crazy [bleep]!

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The ticks did seem especially plentiful this year probably due to the warmer than normal weather. I contracted Lyme from a deer tick 2 years ago. Heavy doses of doxycycline have it under control now but it has caused damage to my joints. I now use premetherin on all my hunting clothes to prevent further issues.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's the black legged deer tick that causes the problems here in W. Pa. Takse the fun out of everything . My Brittany was Lyme positive but didn't show symptoms. He had a lyme vaccine later and other anti-tick stuff. Takes the fun out of Pheasant hunting.

I know people who don't even hunt that got Lyme. I am seriously paranoid about ticks and use a lot of Sawyer's spray (permitherin). It seems to keep the little basturds off me. I shot a doe in Oct and a Buck last week. I was astonished to find no ticks because my area is probably one of the worst...FWIW, I have found the cold weather doesn't phase ticks. Hot weather, the sun out in the open, seems to send them to ground like mini-vampires.

"an armed society is a polite society"
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I spray permethrin on my hunting clothes and also spray my dog with a topical before each hunt. We have ticks all year long in Connecticut and I have seen them on deer in December. Long snowy winters actually protect the little fuggers so cold and limited snow will help keep numbers in check. I don’t seem to attract them on myself maybe its all the garlic I eat. But I have been tested and so far no Lyme.

Last edited by Mike_S; 12/15/20.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had Lyme for 2 years now trust me it is no joke. I get a shiver now every time I see a tick on one of our deer. I spray all my hunting clothing with premetherin now. I am a hunter and couldn't imagine my life without hunting. I urge everyone to use premetherine and check yourself after every hunt. Lyme is not something you ever want to deal with. I could have taken a nice safari to Africa with what I have spent in medical costs. Good hunting.

Last edited by MS9x56; 12/20/20.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They can be bad around here at times. One of the few virtues of fire ants is they reduce the tick populations, so do possums. Javelina can be especially bad and they have some type of big flea that will leap off the javelina onto you when you start to dress them, their bite hurts unlike other fleas.

When I get an infested one I spray it with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol, most of the fleas and a number of ticks will jump off as the animal cools. I got a pair of tick gators and they really help with the seed ticks and chiggers. The fabric tangles up their feet and holds them long enough for the permethrine to do it's thing.

I shot one deer that was so heavily infested we didn't even try to process it, I don't know how that deer managed, looked ok when I shot it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Didn’t notice any ticks this year on our deer (2) in East Texas. We were in drought conditions this fall and our high infestation of imported fire ants keeps the ticks in check. One of the only benefits I’m aware of from the nasty bastards.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
We see them this late here to.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Generally we have alot of tics on deer in Northern VA. Not as many this year less than normal for sure its been wet. Been soaking clothes in Sawyers for a couple of years now works great as instructed would'nt hunt without anymore. I'd be surprised if the deer around here had a disease and I didn't.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Never seen them on deer here in N D but they kill moose here. Edk

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by hanco
We always do down here.

Ditto, always ticks on the deer where I hunt, but it seldom gets below freezing for very long. Heats up during the day.

NRA Endowment Member
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Deer here frequently have a few ticks. I just make sure they don't get on me when skinning.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
All my hunting clothes get the permethrin treatment. No ticks since I started using it. None.

Few if any ticks on the deer I’ve killed the past few seasons.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would wonder what was wrong with a deer that did NOT have ticks....here.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/01/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
All my hunting clothes get the permethrin treatment. No ticks since I started using it. None.

Noticing a lot of you guys use the permethrin. I am not familiar with this treatment.

Is this a scent-free chemical? Must you treat the clothes before each outing or is it used only once at the beginning of the season?
Can you apply to skin also?

-Ken

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Look at the ticks on this bad boy, shot last week

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Noticing a lot of you guys use the permethrin. I am not familiar with this treatment.

Is this a scent-free chemical? Must you treat the clothes before each outing or is it used only once at the beginning of the season?
Can you apply to skin also?

-Ken

Spray once, treatment lasts about six weeks or six washings. NOT for skin, or underwear. I use the Sawyers brand available all over, but others mix their own with concentrate from ag suppliers. It actually kills any ticks that don’t take the repellent hint. I do all my external clothing, including socks and shoes/boots. Also spray my pack and turkey vest. Let it dry before wearing. I don’t smell anything, but who knows what Bambi can. If he’s downwind, he can smell my breath anyway.

Great stuff

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RHutch
Look at the ticks on this bad boy, shot last week

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

That's probably no more than the average transient has around here on them, same with the BLM and Antifa losers.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 75 invisible), 3,052 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.