Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#15486658 12/04/20
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
This may sound silly to those who know, but I have no experience with these animals.. I have several friends that have shot them on trips, but nothing beyond that.. I many Alaska and Canadian articles and books I have read they seemed no more than a big pest.. Very clever, smart, but not as dangers as I see TV making them out to be.. I am sure any animal can be dangerous if cornered, but a couple of these have given the impression they are death waiting to happen.. Mostly I took that to be drama for the show.. But lately another show commented on how deadly they are... This one has been pretty realistic until that point.. So what is the case with these animals..???

Molon Labe
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My (very) limited experience with them has indicated that they're just a big badger. Tough on traps when caught and very rare to see at random (which I guess isn't too much like a badger). If they're not in a foothold trap or body caught by a snare, they're of no danger to people at all.

Their tracks look like little bear tracks to me, but in deeper snow their tail often leaves drag marks.

I am sure (hope) someone with more experience can give more and better info as I'd like to know more too.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks T, That was kind of my impression but you know how TV is even the best shows...

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pound for pound, the toughest critter out there.
It’s said.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You probably won't see one...unless you have two broken legs and are unarmed in the Wilderness.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's one of the animals I would really like to see in the wild. My sis saw one while walking her dog in Anchorage.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When we open up our deer camp in Montana we expect to get rid of some critters like pack rats, but did not expect to run into a Wolverine. When we pulled up with the truck it came bursting out from underneath the cabin snarling and off into the breaks. A few days later we were woke up by snarling and a ruckus under the cabin. We stomped on the floor boards to end it, but the ruckus continued, A couple of us went outside with shotguns and headlamps. Ol Luke had enough and shot a couple rounds into the floor with his 44 Mag Ruger Redhawk and out come three Wolverines so fast nobody got a shot off. They left an awful stink that lingered for days.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are nasty if still alive in a trap but the concept of an unanchored one being a problem is laughable. I would have loved having any of the few I have seen hang around long enough to get a shot at them. Because fur prices are very low they are getting far more common than in the past.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah, retrieving one alive from a leg-hold trap is a rodeo I do not want.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Would love to run a trapline with someone on the chance one was there, though. That would be cool.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Encountered the critters occasionally in Alaska wilderness settings. Oddly enough, the closest two instances were when I woke up in cabins with a wolverine on the roof. First time I wondered what was making all the noise and when I went outside the Wolverine jumped down from the roof and ran away. Second time, I woke up to noise, looked out the window and saw him climb down a makeshift ladder propped up against the cabin. In both instances, the animals hurried right off but didn’t seem particularly disturbed by my presence. Fun memories!

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I've caught dozens of them in footholds, bodygrips, snares, and shot a few more. Every year our trapping clients catch a few as well. There's more myths about wolverines than any other animal. They are tough, but not dangerous to people.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks, that is what I figured.. TV drama...

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok,,,,, in your part of the world, you might have the Fisher-Cats, as they are closely related to the Wolverine, I know they are in Western Montana, and the Selway-Bitteroot Wilderness, had one in my Tent back in the 90's, on the Selway River Elk Hunting,,,,, grin
Lj cool

Attached Images
Capture.PNG (68.76 KB, 716 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
WyoCoyoteHunter;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the first week of December treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

With the understanding that I've never seen a wolverine in the flesh here in our part of BC or anywhere else, a hunting mentor of mine told me the following tale.

In the '30's or '40's north of Ft. St. John where he lived and farmed, he'd killed a caribou and was packing it down a mountain in extremely heavy fog.

Somehow he heard or sensed something coming up on him and as he told it, he more or less shot a wolverine point blank, from the hip with his .30-40 95 Winchester.

He maintained that it must have smelled the blood more than him and that's why it was approaching as it did, as he said he'd never had that happen before or since.

Jake was a Mennonite farmer/hunter not prone to exaggeration generally so I'm going to believe him as he told it, but that's the only wolverine story I have to share.

All the best to you all as we head into winter.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by roundoak
When we open up our deer camp in Montana we expect to get rid of some critters like pack rats, but did not expect to run into a Wolverine. When we pulled up with the truck it came bursting out from underneath the cabin snarling and off into the breaks. A few days later we were woke up by snarling and a ruckus under the cabin. We stomped on the floor boards to end it, but the ruckus continued, A couple of us went outside with shotguns and headlamps. Ol Luke had enough and shot a couple rounds into the floor with his 44 Mag Ruger Redhawk and out come three Wolverines so fast nobody got a shot off. They left an awful stink that lingered for days.

By "breaks" I'm guessing you mean the Missouri River Breaks? Have hunted them a lot over the decades, and haven't seen any wolverine tracks, much less a wolverine, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.HAVE seen what were definitely wolf tracks, long before they started drifting back into Montana from Canada, and were transplanted in Yellowstone.

Have seen fresh wolverine tracks in the wilderness in and surrounding the Bob Marshall in western Montana, but the only two I've personally seen were in Alaska just north of Iliamna Lake close to 20 years ago, during a spring bear hunt, and one in Canada's Northwest Territories during a caribou hunt a couple years later. Happened to have a wolverine tag on the NWT hunt, and spotted it far enough away (500 yards?) to make a stalk within 200 yards. It was an ancient male with semi-broken teeth that may not have made it through the winter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I had an old timer in AK tell me if you ever see one kill it because they like to follow people back to camp and then tear the hell out of the camp after you’ve gone out again.

I have no doubt of their strength or tenacity, but have never felt them a threat to humans.

They are rarely seen. Closest I’ve been was about 20 yards near the peak of a mountain. I was sheep hunting in the Alaskan Range (in AK). He was rolling in a snow patch and had no idea we were there. It was one day before season...

We seen a good number on the south side of the Brooks Range. We had killed a sheep and had crossed back over a river. When we looked back down, there was three wolverine on the carcass. I think we seen 3 or 4 other wolverine that trip.

Cool critters!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've only ever seen one in the wild, here on the Kenai Peninsula, tracks of another in snow going up Crow Creek Trail across from Alyeska ski resort.
We only went as far as the pass, the tracks continued down toward Eagle River.

I had made an attempted interseption of a cow caribou in August. Arriving where I had last seen her, I dropped my backpack for a polk-around, and was tying a bright strip of flagging to it so I could find it again. (learned the hard way! :)) Seeing movement out of the corner of my eye, I turned to look and there was this humungous wolverine standing on his hind legs looking at me from about 40 feet away. So I looked back at him through the 9X binoculars. We had a stare down for maybe 90 seconds before he humped away on his business. I did have my .280 in hand.

What a beautiful animal.

A friend later said the animal wasn't deciding whether he COULD take me, but IF he wanted to take me.

I did have that feeling. smile

Last edited by las; 12/04/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok,,,,, in your part of the world, you might have the Fisher-Cats, as they are closely related to the Wolverine, I know they are in Western Montana, and the Selway-Bitteroot Wilderness, had one in my Tent back in the 90's, on the Selway River Elk Hunting,,,,, grin
Lj cool

Fishers are neat critters and fairly common in the Selway, but wolverines are there too.
Montana had a limited season up until just a few years ago with a quota of I believe 5, statewide. I know a few trappers that have snared them on the Montana side of the Selway Wilderness. It was quite the deal when you got one.

I know of at least one Wolverine in the Bitterroot Valley in the last couple years that bayed up due to lion hounds tracking a cat, then crossed and started on the fresher wolverine track. That's the kind of trash catch I want...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,155 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.