Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mostly Grays where I hunt. Normally I'm only out for squirrels for an hour or two and skin when I get back to the truck. A slit across the back and pull the skin off in opposite directions stopping at head, tail and feet, cut or snip these parts off. Skin everything I shot first. Sometimes I need to use my knife to free up hide that doesn't want to cooperate. Then I gut them. Rinse them with fresh water and store in gallon zip lock and in the cooler they go. During warm weather Hornets incent me to speed up this process.

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I like to dunk them in water first. I then use a hatchet to cut the legs off then make a slice in the middle of the back and peel the hide off each end. then cut the tail off and same with the head. Then gut. You need a nice stump or log as your skinning station.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Goes much faster when you aint trying to video it.

https://youtu.be/QlGs9dBnoaI

Last edited by Longcarbine; 05/25/21.

"The reason a dog has so many friends, He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, But when I do so do the neighbors."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longcarbine

You don't need the fish skinning pliers. The pliers are unnecessary in the skinning process. It's a simple thing to grab that bottom half skin on the belly with your fingers and pull the hide off.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This has been a very helpful thread, as I struggle with squirrels.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a kid I would wrestle, tug, pull yank, jerk, beat them on tree trunks and come away exhausted with a hairy mess. Cleaning them was the one thing I disliked about squirrel hunting. Once I discovered the best method, it's an easy peasy couple minutes per squirrel and nothing but clean hairless meat. I do the chore at a creek or lake nearby and only take home the processed meat so there isn't any mess to throw away and deal with at home. Nothing to it!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Longcarbine

You don't need the fish skinning pliers. The pliers are unnecessary in the skinning process. It's a simple thing to grab that bottom half skin on the belly with your fingers and pull the hide off.

Maybe on a perfect skin, but I've had it rip in half there and by the time you get both legs pulled out one at a time you have hair everywhere, the pliers just make it easier.

"The reason a dog has so many friends, He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, But when I do so do the neighbors."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
squirrels shin better when they are still warm period,as do all animals.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I use my hatchet and chop off the feet, head, and tail. Slit across the back and pull their pants and shirt off. Takes less than a minute each. Gut them and rinse them off.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I skin them both ways, whatever I feel like at the time. I don't see any difference in work involved but these old boys here in southeast Missouri defend their method like it was their sisters virtue, or breed of dog. The rimfire/shotgun debate is another topic around here I shy away from.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a little insulated nylon fanny pack cooler that I stick an ice pack and some ziploc bags in when I go squirrelin'. Skin and quarter and put them on ice as soon as they hit the ground. They shuck right out of their hide lickety split when freshly killed and I don't have to deal with skinning/dressing nasty stiff squirrels when I get home.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've skinned a plenty both ways since the late 60's. I prefer to keep a pair side cutters, cut off the feet and tail. Cut across the back and pull apart, ring around the neck, pull head off, and dry. They are a little easier fresh killed, and blackhearts idea is a good one. I've used a hatchet also, but I've used the same side cutters since my dad used them when I was a boy. You pull as far apart as possible first pull, then work on each end separately, and with tail and feet gone, the hides gone in a jiffy. And what hair does get on dry meat, comes off much easier. Get it wet, lot harder get hair off.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I saw this on Meateater’s YouTube page, and it’s worked well for me:
https://youtu.be/FtspCxIfWuI

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TE999
I saw this on Meateater’s YouTube page, and it’s worked well for me:
https://youtu.be/FtspCxIfWuI

You haven't read through this thread, have you?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I had, just didn’t click on your link to the same video.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.