Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
G33/40
It’s only money which is the easiest part of your build.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Commercial action all day, and since it’s Sunday, twice, unless you can find one with the hard stuff already done on someone else’s dime that you can finish up your way.

At current prices for gunsmithing, you’ll save a bundle, unless you absolutely have to have one with a thumb cut. I recently found one that appears to be a post-war commercial action, but military style, by Heym. Thumb cut, C-ring, very light barrel and stock. $695.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
My Dumoulin action 7x57....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wow, hope Rev Mike doesn't see that.

He may pass out....

Nice,

DF

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Wow, hope Rev Mike doesn't see that.

He may pass out....

Nice,

DF

Yup and thanks!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

That's pretty!

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Those Dumolin actions look good on paper, but I just can't bring myself to buy a Chinese action. Yours sure did come together nicely though.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MTDan
Those Dumolin actions look good on paper, but I just can't bring myself to buy a Chinese action. Yours sure did come together nicely though.

The older ones were Belgium.

I see that the newer ones are Chicom. Any idea the date that began?

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Commercial action all day, and since it’s Sunday, twice, unless you can find one with the hard stuff already done on someone else’s dime that you can finish up your way.

At current prices for gunsmithing, you’ll save a bundle, unless you absolutely have to have one with a thumb cut.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've done full builds on Spandau, 1909's, VZ-24's & still have half a dozen actions that will likely never get built into rifles as the cost today is just too high & I don't have the ambition to do the (significant) amount of work required to get them done.

You can buy a pretty damn nice rifle today that will shoot well for less than the cost of doing a really good '98 up right & that's just the metalwork & barrel.

MM

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I think the commercial version is the route I’ll take when I make the leap, I don’t need to worry about things like if it’s hardened or not.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

That's pretty!

Thanks!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

If it's not an FN or fn clone or sr HVA throw it back, just can't see dime one remodeling an old clunk military mauser might as well vote for a democrat you ll be pissing down the side of your leg either way. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

If it's not an FN or fn clone or sr HVA throw it back, just can't see dime one remodeling an old clunk military mauser might as well vote for a democrat you ll be pissing down the side of your leg either way. MB

It's real easy to have more in an old military action than it's worth. Very easy.

I'd stick with good commercial actions, well maybe a G33/40 or other well known, high quality military actions.

Just don't expect to recover your investment, as is the case with most custom guns,.

DF

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have used several 1908 Brazilian actions made by DWM. The ones I have had where really slick actions run like butter.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by wtroger
I have used several 1908 Brazilian actions made by DWM. The ones I have had where really slick actions run like butter.

I have one of those that Century Arms put together in the mid 90s. It’s a pretty nice action.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

It's real easy to have more in an old military action than it's worth. Very easy.

I'd stick with good commercial actions, well maybe a G33/40 or other well known, high quality military actions.

Just don't expect to recover your investment, as is the case with most custom guns,.

DF

I refer to mine in that condition as my money pits.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I guess I got lucky on my 1909 Argie. I bought the barreled action at a gun show. The mans was selling it for a widow (so he says) and was asking $600 OBO for the barreled action and a blank for the stock which looked like it has decent figure. I offered $300 on Saturday. As the gun show was closing I went past the guy who still had the pieces to make up a rifle so I once again offered $300. he hemmed and hawed a bit but when he saw three Benjamins in my hand he sold the the works.

I had to wait about six months before I had enough cash to take it to my gunsmith. He farmed the stock out to Sterling Davenport to shape and checker the stock and bed the barreled action. That kind of surprised me but as it turned out my GS has hurt his back and couldn't do any of the heavy work. I'm thinking it was Davenport who really put the whole package together. Came out quite nice. The wood in the stock was a lot prettier that I expected. One thing I noticed was there were little dimples in various places on the receiver and bolt. My gunsmith said that action had been tested for proper hardness and apparently passed. The rifle is in .280 Remington and slightly on the heavy side. I call it my plains rifle as I'd hate like hell to carry it on top of some high mountain. Accuracy is excellent with the old style Speer Grand Slams. I have some of the new type as well but haven't loaded them to try.

With all that said, if I were to do it all over again, I'd look for a J.C. Higgins M50 or 51, or a similar FN based from Montgomery-Wards, Cold, H&R or Husqvarna 640. Save a lot of time and money as the hard work is already done.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
This would work[Linked Image]

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Trigger1963
This would work[Linked Image]

Nickel plated?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.