Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
No I think previous owner beed blasted it

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To answer OPs question, I'd pick one that has already been bubba'd. I won't screech autistically if I see a sporterized military rifle, but these days there really isn't much reason to do it. The best candidate in my eyes would be a post war commercial FN.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boomer454
To answer OPs question, I'd pick one that has already been bubba'd. ....

these are the ones that most often end up true money pits by the time you correct all of Bubba's mistakes!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maybe, but the ones I've seen were all molested at either stock or barrel. As mentioned by another poster, suspicious holes in the action are a red flag, though.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
6.5 x 55 96-Swede. Chopped one up and the 114 year old Gustov barrel will repeatedly do clover leafs.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the g.33/40s. I have 3 and would buy more if they were in good condition and the price was right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well Fellas,

I have a G33/40 I'm willing to let go. It already has some of what you're looking for and not bubba'd. My interest has changed from a personal project to buying rifles for my kids. I also have a BRNO ZG47 I might trip as well. PM me if interested and want details.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Although there are quite a few mauser experts on this forum, I am certainly not one. When I read your opening statement about hunting with a mauser rifle I will relay my experience and opinions. As has already been mentioned converting a military can be very expensive. If you are willing to pay the freight to sporterize one you can afford one of the better commercial ones. I have tried four of the JC higgins mausers Model 50 . In my opinion they fed OK but not well. So I sold them. The 270 fed well but the 3x 3006s didn't. I would look for a browning safari which feeds very well and has a good trigger and is complete , or a husqvrana which also feeds very well. Both are based on the FN98 action but have been tuned before they left the factory. The Husky will take some modifications mainly a stock before it equals the browning. Both are usually very accurate. Hope this helps.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Thoroughly enjoyed this Thread & would like to see it continue!

My own 'opinionator' net, net thoughts. Shadows of the 'of mid-century past peak', milsurp sporters, yet alive and retaining 'market niche'! Viable guns in their properly appreciated nesting grounds... The vast majority, from decent field guns to simply practical rough & ready truck guns. As a whole, best evaluated as 'moderate to minimal investment' - 'practical category' econo-investments. Yet too, tending toward objectively 'seedy rep' as as over-hyped, over-priced "custom" pieces where term misapplied at best/misleading at worst! Dang few where the 'beating heart' doesn't fundamentally remain..."Misrurp Sporter"! Momentary, due regard necessary for a small exceptional class of justifiably "custom" iterations as expressions of gunsmithing art.
The unique milsurp heritage & advantage is yet 'generally' abundance of parts; parts which are rough & ready, battlefield proven for most part. Something about bearing such a rifle to range or wilderness! "Dependability factor" ndefinitely ot to be underestimated! A "battle ready/proven rifles definitely not reflect the latest/greatest technology, but couple of decades post manufacture "latest & greatest 'whizzbang' models; firms bankrupt & gone, their broken "thingie" may be unobtainium or arriving in velvet lined case from some eBay seller at $$$!

The "vintage" factory sporters, multiple niches as some well into "collectible stratums". Oberndorf Mauser factory sporters; "pre '64 Win Model 70 rifles; exemplary of a wider class of "valuable". Many Posts here, attesting to the happy invalidity of "getting what you pay for". Some great rifles, yet under-radar offering nice bonus. I personally believe the prior righteous JC Higgins, Sears Model 50 value-bubble has broken. Their nifty quality 'rep' emerged. To me yet a market "hunter killer stealth sub", the noted Husqvarna line. Somehow... The disparity remaining. Great FN and Husky based actions, entirely reasonable prices! They are the happy new Sears 'sleeper replacement', yet better! Considerably more factory chamberings & choice of two great CRF actions; oh my! smile Of many super bolt rifles, these to me the yet "outstanding "bargains".

As we write here, a huge, happy variety of quality bolt rifles yet 'out there' for the plucking. A hundred years of such plus! I'll personally take 'real steel and wood' to most any 'aluminum alloy and plastic', any day. Due regard and not to 'dis', the latter. Just from 'fondling' to 'fielding', one 'old man's choice!

Best, Do Keep Safe & Happy Holidays!
John

Last edited by iskra; 12/13/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is definitely something special about a Military Mauser that has had a Master work his magic on it. The problem is the costs associated with it. And there aren’t as many of those guys working on them as there used to be.

I would definitely go the FN 98 action if I was going to do one. Your going to save a lot of money. Look up SuperCubs FN he built on a donor JC Higgins FN 98. Just a work of art.

Personally I think it’s better anymore to go the pre-64 route. I bought a 1954 Standard in 30-06 last year for 475 bucks. I was stunned I walked out with it for that amount of money. But, the demand isn’t really there for these kind of rifles anymore. It has to be Stainless Steel and plastic I guess. Anyway then I thought about what I was going to do with it. It didn’t really have collector value so I wasn’t worried about that. I came close to going with an Edge stock to bring the weight down, then stumbled across Pre-64’s website. I ended up buying a 95% Featherweight barrel and a refinished Featherweight stock. It was put together by Pre-64. I now have a 7.5 pound rifle with scope, that’s like brand new. It’s a lot less money to get there, than using a Military Mauser.

Last edited by JBabcock; 12/14/20. Reason: Changed date of manufacture
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

My pre-64 Featherweight in 30-06. Not a Mauser, but as nice in my book.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Then again, a pre-64 Win ain't really a Mauser, is it?

Agreed though that if the Model 70 tickles your fancy, prices recently have been very good for the buyer.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, I keep posting while you are. Nice Model 70!

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both rifles are nice examples! Also why generally, I prefer a nice used rifle over most new production rifles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lol! Well I’m partial to the Mauser, just not the amount of money to get them where I’d like them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by Boomer454
To answer OPs question, I'd pick one that has already been bubba'd. ....

these are the ones that most often end up true money pits by the time you correct all of Bubba's mistakes!

That is what happened to me. The '09 looked good in the classifieds here but cost me a to have Mr. Kobe correct improper mount holes and a nice looking bolt handle that would not clear a low mounted scope.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
4winds, I’m interested in your actions if you would personal messenger me

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MTDan
If you just want to hunt with one, not necessarily build one yourself, look for either a commercial rifle (FN, Husqvarna, Zastava) or find one already sporterized that you like. You'll come out WAY ahead vs building one.

There are some really nice utilitarian rifles out there for low prices.

I agree..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a 458WM on a BRNO, two Dumoulin actions, a VZ24, and a Turk.

Anyone want to send me some $?

Sean
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I am 0 for 2 on turk sporterizing. 2 in a row the action was warped and spent money before finding it. Not easy to see with just your eyeball.

Lol out of a zillion that were just fine. My luck.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 01/17/21.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.