Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Should turn out to be a nice little rifle. Gotta try to call twisted barrel tomorrow and see if they'll do the action work and cerakote. I wanna have a nice little bolt knob put on, skelatonize the bolt handle, flute or dimple the bolt..then cerakotethe action and scope mount all to match the barrel..nothing that'll make a bit of difference...just give it a custom look.

That action is when Remington had some finish issues. That sucker liked to rust. I think it was the matte finish. I have it about worn off and it doesn't rust anymore lol.

Gotta call Bix N Andy back too. Ordered a bolt release for my Dakota trigger and haven't gotten it. They made it sound as if it was going right out.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sounds an awful lot like a "full custom" to me! smile

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Lol. Helps being I've had the action for 15 years and got the stock cheap. Figured it NEEDS a new finish to help prevent future rust...and while it's there, might as well get a little face lift.

Trigger came off my precision rig. Kelblys had a deal going on with their action action the Dakota trigger. I snagged a TacSport Pro for that rifle and will put the Dakota on this one lol.

Definitely doesn't have a full custom price tag which is always nice!

I scan here and other sites a few times a day. If I see something I know is a good buy and I can use it...I snag it. I had no use for a Brown's Precision Pound'r when I bought it. But I knew to have a new one made was going to cost several times more. So I threw it on the shelf. Lol

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Helps when you use the "installment plan". I have/had several Brown stocks but never their Pounder. That was a very nice stock to have waiting on the shelf.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Awesome build Mauser. I like it. Blessings and big bucks to you

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Leadminer, the installment plan works out well for me...I also am not afraid of buying used when applicable. I'm going to use it. What do I care if someone else did? Lol. Obviously not always applicable but that Pound'r was used. I know how to relieve bedding and bed my own actions. No cracks or anything. No brainer for me.

Thanx gaschekt! Should be a neat little critter gitter!

I finally decided on the last pieces of the puzzle today....ordered Hawkins aluminum oberndorf bdl bottom metal. New box, spring, follower and screws.

Decided on the action face-lift. Probably won't get it shipped till Monday though. Looked for a box today and couldn't find one. Going to have everything cerakoted to match the barrel. Including the DNZ Game Reaper mount. For some reason that DNZ has a blue hue to it. None of my others do. I can't stand 19 shades of black on a gun.

Another month or so and she'll be finished.

Going to play with some paint ideas while it's away. I won't paint till its back and I bed it...but I have a few ideas I wanna play with. Function is Taking precedence over looks. But I'd like to get both.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Good going! It appears you are pretty confident on the BDL feeding. I can only get a limited idea of feeding since I have not done the re-barrel yet. Like you posted at the beginning, not interested in a single shot bolt rifle.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The BDL was feeding fine with empty brass and a dummy round I made up. I should have tried 3 or 4 dummy rounds...but it didn't hesitate at all.

I carry my rifle too much for it to not be comfortable. A protruding magazine wouldn't suite me at all. My rifle is always I my hand ready to hammer one as I'm sneaking through the woods.

The Hawkin metal is supposed to be high quality and it's super light.

Anxious to get it together and shooting!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Action sent out yesterday. Should have it back in a couple weeks.

Got my bottom metal. Going to take a smidge of inletting.

Stock is sanded and shot with primer.

Going to Inlet the bottom metal...when the action is back, I will bed it and the bottom metal...clean it back up, sand it back, prime again and paint her.

Gotta order my headspeace gauges today so I have them.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Keep at it....you're getting there!

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Little sneak peak....

Haven't fires it yet. Maybe this week. A have 20-30 mild loads ready to shoot.

Ran into a stock painting mishap and had to strip it and start over. Ran into another mishap but "saved" it. I wasn't redoing it lol. I like how it turned out.

Coming in at about 6 1/4. Not too shabby for a m700.

Little miscommunication between me and Twisted Barrel. .he called and asked if I wanted it coated before or after milling. I knew I wanted the bolt and knob work to be silver...didn't consider the stabbed action... I will have someone local coatbthe slabs. Both sides are stabbed off the receiver and left bare shiny steel. They will look better all black. I didn't do those for looks...but they took off a good bit of weight/steel.

Gotta tweak the mag box yet. Fed dummy rounds without a hitch. But that was before getting new bottom metal and modifying the stock. I'm confident I can get it back to feeding fine though.

Nice handy little thumper.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Well done...looking good!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice,

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I really like that both in concept and construction
If you find that scope is a bit high original Weaver low rings and bases work great with that action and scope combo

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mauser06,
Nice looking rifle!

You mind describing the paint process to achieve that pattern.
Really has a nice look!

Thanks

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx guys!

Castle Rock, the scope is high....but I've learned from my Kimber Montana that is where I like em on these rifles. I am a NE still hunter and tracker. I spend my days on my feet slinking through the timber. Shots are close and fast. I found the scope sitting higher with the straight comb just really works for me and snap shooting. Basically like a shotgun for me. If I shoulder it, I'm looking through glass and crosshairs on target. Took me a lot of scratching my head to get there. We all "know" scopes go as low as possible....lol.

Morano, I started with a textured spray paitlnt. I think Rustoleum. The stuff is difficult to spray because it's thick and has grit in it. I shot it a base color and still decided to try adding some other colors of it. Tried the leaf shadow trick. Fail. Tried covering that up by random sprays of different colors...fail.

First time I painted it, It smacked my arm while I tried to move it and it smudged horribly. I had to strip it. I knew after that I was NOT redoing it...it does NOT come off without a fight. Chemicals and work.

So I did what I could with a couple different colors to blend it. It looked OK but kinda plain. If you look close at the base coat, you can see 3 different colors. A greenish, a darker reddish brown and a lighter tannish color..

Thats where the black came from. Decided to sponge it. I think they came from Walmart crafts section. They sell bags of small pieces of sponge. Regular black spray paint on the sponge and random dabs of it.

Good primer before and a couple shots of matte clear after.

Everyone keeps telling me how it'll be a great gun for my Ohio trips. But it'll kill more deer in PA than Ohio lol. I've killed a fair number of whitetails and have yet to shotnone beyond about 75yds. The 450 bushy will hammer them.

Was hoping on a Barnes TTSX....but haven't seen them available yet. I snagged 500 300gr Speer Deep Curls cheap. No doubt they'll hammer deer...even if they don't expand haha. Will get her to the range soon. Have 20-30 low end H110 loads worked up to get some rounds through it. Just got a lot of hobbies...and "life" lol.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
👍

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Shot somewhere around 25rds through her today. Used a mild load of h110 with 300gr deep curls.

The recoil isn't bad. Its....interesting. It doesn't feel like anything else. It doesn't hurt...I don't even know that it bruised my shoulder. The recoil pad is rubber but it's fairly hard. When it was cloudy, I could see the fireball coming out of the muzzle lol.

She seems to be a shooter too. I was only shooting 50yds but put around 15 rounds into 1 big hole without effort. I was trying to figure out why my labradar wouldn't work right. I am blaming that bench. It was pretty wobbly...

All in all, I'm happy! Feels good and is looking like she'll shoot well.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thought I would share my straight-wall bolt action. Well used Remington 600 formerly in 222 rebarrelled to 350 Legend. 21” barrel for a little less “bark” and a Vortex strike force because that happened to be what I had on the shelf and the magnification and 30mm tube lent itself well to the application. Looking forward to Ohio deer season with this lightweight shooter.
Picture in link:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/166287.jpeg

Last edited by Johnsclist; 08/01/21.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That is nice...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.