Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So...I started hunting Ohio this season. I didn't realize straight wall cartridges were legalized....I used a 50cal Encore muzzleloader barrel. Worked great.

I can use the Encore muzzleloader.

I can get other barrels for the Encore.

But....I have an interesting idea. Lol.

I have an SPS Varmint 22-250. Barrel is about done. So I have a donor m700 SA.

I have a Browns Precision Pound'r.

I can get "Remage" prefits.

So....take the parts I have...screw on a barrel...have a very unique m700sa Ohio legal rifle.

Probably go as short/light on the barrel as I can.

Anyone ever do it?

Anyone know my options for the standard bolt face? If there are any? Figured I might as well go big....cause why not? Lol .458" bullet?

Only hiccups to my idea is bolt face and possibly feeding issues. So that's why I'm here. Seems like a fun solution to a problem solved by easier means.

Considered a Ruger American Ranch in 450 Bushmaster...just can't stand cheap plastic stocks. That's how I ultimately dreamed up this possible project.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
How about a 50-70 barrel? That would be interesting.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Probably the easiest and most cost efficient would be to get a .450 Bushmaster barrel, same rim diameter and plenty of factory ammo on the market. Several companies offer "Remage" (barrel nut type) barrels to make it a DIY build.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I haven't been keeping up with cartridge development, but two that come to mind are 44 Auto Mag and 444 Marlin Rimless.

Bruce

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx guys!

Doing more research, it seems the 450 Bushmaster is probably the way to go. I can't figure out if they feed well or need modified at all....but other guys have done it and a couple complains build them on m700 actions.

I think it'd make good use of the parts I have sitting here. All I need is a barrel. Screw it on and go.

Solving a problem I don't really have lol. Typical gun guy....

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have JES rebore it.

“Lighten up Francis”
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The barrel on the action now is a heavy remington varmint profile. Not what I want on a deer rig.

The Remage prefits aren't horrible in price.

I have an email onto McGowen to get the dimensions of the barrel nut. I wanna make sure I can accommodate it with the little Brown's Precision Pound'r. As long as I can fit it in the stock, I will probably order it in 450 Bushmaster. Probably 18" and as light of profile as they'll go.

Should make a neat little practical deer hammer for me....and I bought the action and stock so long ago the only cost I feel like I have is the barrel. Lol.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I did almost the same thing, I wanted a straightwall cartridge bolt action for Ohio this was before the 350 was out and i wanted to be able to use factory ammo.

I had a rifle i had built a few years back in 22-250 that the barrel was shot out, it was a Stiller Predator action in a McMillan rem hunter stock I really liked that setup.

So I ordered a Pacnor 20 twist 22" barrel in the same contour to fit the McMillan and had a local smith chamber it for the 450 Bushmaster using a bugnut from bugholes.

It has HS DBM bottom metal i had to play around with the mags to get it to feed good, I'm shooting the 200gr Barnes xpb for the 460 at 2700+ fps for a little over a inch at 100 yards i havent killed a deer with it yet but our season isnt over.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Rich, that sounds like a dandy!! I don't wanna go full custom....as much as I love my Kelblys Atlas Tactical...I have the m700 to use.....I'd LOVE a DBM...but I don't know that I will get one in the Browns Pound'r. I also have it to use...and it'll make a nice little rifle.

They got me dimensions today. Will be no probably to fit the barrel nut in the stock. They said I have to stay at .700" at the muzzle. But with a .450 hole in it and 18" it should be light enough and balanced pretty decent.

When you shoot a deer, I'd be real interested in pics and details. I was leaning towards the Barnes 250s. But didn't realize they made 200s.

Like I said...I'm solving a problem I don't really have lol. Love big thumpers and will surely use it in PA too....

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
McGowen Remage was just ordered.

Sounds like 2-3 months before I have it.

I went with 18" and 1-16" twist. I don't wanna run into an issue where longer bullets won't stabilize.

Kind of excited about this. Should be a little hammer.

Makes use of parts that are otherwise collecting dust.

Need to look at bottom metal options. Factory BDL now...like I said, there's not much meat to work with on the Pound'r so not sure I have any other options.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I picked up a couple of 18" 16 twist threaded barrels for a Savage on 6br for my brother and myself just for heavy bullet subsonic loads with a can and screwed one on a Savage 10 action that was a 308 with a blind magazine and it feeds just fine with the factory FTX, I haven't tried it with the with the big blunt cast bullets yet maybe this weekend, yours may feed as a BDL

Last edited by Rich44; 12/08/20.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I hope so! If it's gunna be a single shot, I'd have just bought an Encore barrel lol.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Rich. How did you use the Stiller action that was chambered in 22-250 that has a .473 bolt face for a 350 legend that uses a .378 bolt?.

Last edited by killahog; 01/18/21.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Killahog, Rich is running a 450BM, not a 350 Legend.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Consider a .458 American 2"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458%C3%972-inch_American

Brass can be made from any standard belted magnum

Edit: reread the original post -- short action -- so -- Bushmaster

Edit again: There is also the .45 Raptor that is essentially a rimless .460 S&W. You would not have to worry about getting a rebated rim cartridge to feed and eject properly.

Last edited by dSmith_45; 01/19/21.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Mauser06
Killahog, Rich is running a 450BM, not a 350 Legend.

Now it makes sense. Thanks

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
D Smith, I went with 450BM....I had a reason for not going with the Raptor...but I can't remember what that was now lol.

The raptor looks to be a smidge faster. But, for my uses, I can't see that ever making a difference.

I was able to scrounge up dies, powder and brass. Have primers. Waiting on the barrel. Probably at least least few more weeks yet. Pretty excited to get it all together. I think its gunna make a cool little hammer.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by dSmith_45
Consider a .458 American 2"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458%C3%972-inch_American

While the .458 American is an efficient and useful cartridge, brass must be made... And can be formed from any magnum belted cartridge. The down side of that is that if brass is made from .300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag, then the brass is headstamped and since it is a 2.5" cartridge, then the .458x2" cartridge can be fired in it. (with disastrous results.) One may not always own said rifle. And at some point in the future said rifle could cause serious injuries or death to some unsuspecting soul.

I have a .458x2" and I intend to destroy it before I die. The .450 bushmaster is practically the same ballistics with the advantage of being able to use factory ammo.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Update.

Got the Mcgowen barrel today! Looks great. Nice clean rifling and chamber. Cerakote job looks great too.

18" seems awful short lol.

Weighs in at 2lb 1oz.

Figured bare rifle will be in the 5.5lb range.

Not going to lie...I sorta forgot about it lol. I remember a few times I was looking for action wrenches and barrel vices and got busy....and have since forgotten to order them lol.

I want to get the barrel off and send the action out. At least getting cerakoted. Probably a nice little bolt knob. Maybe some fluting.

Speaking of action wrenches. I gotta check my invoice and the box...90% sure I ordered a wrench of the barrel nut...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know your on trouble when you can't remembered what you ordered...
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (219DW, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,440
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.