Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Looking to have a contender barrel re-chambered (hornet to k hornet). Anyone have any recommendations for an outfit to do the re-chamber? Thanks.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Go over Greybeard Outdoors there are some Handi Rifle Gurus over there that have done the conversion you are talking about. I've looked into it myself, reamer rental isn't that bad and some of those guys over at GB's have done it themselves with a vice and tee handle, it's pretty straight forward. Good luck

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yes I know a good outfit, sell the barrel and buy an MGM laugh

With the cost of a barrel plus the cost of a rechamber, you're about at the cost of a custom barrel that's higher quality and exactly what you want. If you want to sell it later, rechambers are very hard to move without a heavy discount. Whereas customs hold their value really well in a desireable round like the k-Hornet

I'm not saying don't do it, properly done rechambers shoot great. But having bought and sold a lot of barrels, that's what I've found.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thank you everyone. Very good point on the well and buy new. After some checking it’s not cheap to rechamber, like half the cost of a new barrel. Plus my hornet barrel shoots decent and I could always keep it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
tc did chamber the 22 k hornet in a 10" taper I know becuse I have one so maybe check with eds contenders www.edstc.com

NRA life & RSO Plays with old trucks and tractors
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just don’t expect what he lists to be in stock. I called about one and it was out of stock along with several other alternative choices. Don't think he spends much time maintaining his site.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by brydan
Yes I know a good outfit, sell the barrel and buy an MGM laugh

With the cost of a barrel plus the cost of a rechamber, you're about at the cost of a custom barrel that's higher quality and exactly what you want. If you want to sell it later, rechambers are very hard to move without a heavy discount. Whereas customs hold their value really well in a desireable round like the k-Hornet

I'm not saying don't do it, properly done rechambers shoot great. But having bought and sold a lot of barrels, that's what I've found.

I second this. If you happened upon a rare Contender barrel that shoots well, don't mess with it. Buy an aftermarket barrel from a reputable maker like MGM. It will shoot better than your Contender.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Just don’t expect what he lists to be in stock. I called about one and it was out of stock along with several other alternative choices. Don't think he spends much time maintaining his site.

This, along with not returning email requests. If you want to get some info from Ed's, you're best served to call.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
....or catch his booth at the Tulsa show if possible. He brings out a bunch of stuff at fair prices

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ed's website is not the answer. Call him and ask him to mail you a current listing of available barrels, MUCH better!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,254
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.