Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I cooked a moose roast in the crock pot today. The moose called Geraldton, Ontario home. For the rest of the meal I nuked Chinese that we had last night. Egg rolls, fried rice and chow mein.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There was a small beef roast (1/2 lb) that I threw into the crock pot as well. It is the meat just below the moose.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully the day was a good one for you and yours and this finds you all well.

Thanks for sharing the photo of the tasty looking table fare with us Steve, I have to say that good moose is among my favorite wild meat to eat and for sure crock pots and moose seem to go hand in hoof.

All the best to you all as we head into colder days and the Christmas Season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good reminder of past years and the bounty of many years of freezers full of swamp donkeys. Thanks for the jog, and bon appetite!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks to you both. We had leftover meat, so moose sammiches tomorrow for lunch! I'll probably put the slices on bread with garlic butter and melt some old cheese over everything.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Colour me vert with envy Steve!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
We just finished some grilled moose with old cheese.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Red salmon tonight, caribou roast tomorrow. Life don't suck.

It's been a few years since I found a moose dumber than I am.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks good. Just in case you don't want to waste the nose of your moose, here's how to cook it. Andrew, NWT professional trapper, shows the best method of cooking. Some coarse language, but interesting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwMedsAkj-s

Thank me later. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've never tried that. We eat the heart and tongue, but I have never considered the nose.

It looks like a lot of work to me. I know...picky, picky. picky!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I souvid some moose ribs and meat on Saturday. It definitely was more tender. Next moose will be Hamburg, sausage, steaks, stew meat.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm still struggling with the addition of a piece of citrus zest. Is it used to garnish the meat when served, or is it included in the cooking? wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I’ve only ever had moose nose where they singed the hair off—and the guy in the vid is right—friggin gross.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to beat a pot-roast sammich. I like mine on buttered white bread with Duke’s mayo, salt and pepper. Lettuce and tomato don’t hurt either.

Do yourself a favor and invest in one of the insta-pots, electric pressure cookers. Does in an hour what the crockpot takes all day to do. Brown the meat, toss it into the cooker with veggies and water or broth, and wham bam thank you ma'am, you’ve got dinner.

We cook rice in a rice cooker and noodles on the stove, then pour the soup or stew over them, to keep noodles in particular, from getting mushy.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's true. Tonight, we're having a meat pie which is moose and beef mixed together to bring up the fat content. Meat pies are also good cold. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought my wife some tart tins, the ones with the separate bottoms. They make great meat pies too, just the right size.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in 2007 me, my wife and a son-in-law did a 1,000 mile round trip Yukon-Koyukuk moose in our boat, after we put in at the Yukon River Bridge. Old Alaskan Sidney Hunington, author of Shadows of the Koykuk was a friend of my wife's family when my wife's Dad was a Deputy Marshall in the Alaska Territory days. He hung out at the local fuel station all the boats used. I found him and brought my wife up to meet him since my wife had left the Yukon River in the 50's. He autographed the copy of the book we had brought and he told my wife a few stories and asked about her recently departed Dad. It was a heart warming reunion.

There were several moose heads laying outside by the old fuel shack and all had the antlers, tongue and nose missing. Turns out old Sidney loved moose nose and some one had cut the noses off and removed the tongues for him.

If one is a far North outdoors guy, Shadows of the Koyukuk is a must read. Lots of history in the book.

I have never tried moose nose, at this stage in my life some one can have all of mine. Don't much care for liver either!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Went up to Red Earth creek Alberta years ago and killed bull moose. Drove home with skinned quarters. 325 pounds of meat we had. Mostly cut it into chunks of ten pounds or less. We would thaw out s chunk and either roast it or slice steaks off. I ate it three times a day until it was gone. Best meat I’ve ever eaten. You Canadians are certainly blessed with moose to hunt and eat.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

557 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 48 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,234
Posts18,447,787
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.