Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have a JM stamped post crossbolt safety 336 30-30 that recently misfired. When the barrel is pointed up it will strike the primer but to light to fire it about every other shot. Level or pointed down it goes off every time. Any ideas?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Had a Franchi AL48, 28 gauge, that developed a soft strike and wouldn't fire.............. Cleaned the trigger group, mostly removed any oil, then lubed with a little graphite and it fired every time................

That's my thoughts on it!

that, or always shoot downhill....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thats my first thought is that dirt and stuff has gummed the firing pin. I think I'm going to take it to a gunsmith to do it so I don't miss anything.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Unfortunately you cannot et a new hammer spring right now.
I have found that if you reload, the Fed 210 primer is softer than others. Win LR is good, but Rem and CCI are hard.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The bolt is easy to remove in a Marlin. I remove mine periodically and spray the firing pin channel with Gun Scrubber. I do not lube the internal parts as it attracts dust and grit.

IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by Kickemall
I have a JM stamped post crossbolt safety 336 30-30 that recently misfired. When the barrel is pointed up it will strike the primer but to light to fire it about every other shot. Level or pointed down it goes off every time. Any ideas?

That was my first though and replaced it with a new one, no change.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You got the two piece firing pin thing going on. Problems there?

schematic

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Look first at the main hammer spring

switch one from another Marlin

I've used Wolfe aftermarket springs...action will run smoother....but

You may experience light primer strikes

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
The main spring was the first thing I replaced as I had a new factory one on hand. No change. Could very well be the two piece firing pin. Any idea how to tell if thats it and whats the fix?

Last edited by Kickemall; 12/10/20.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Also, are there any disadvantages to a one piece firing pin, mainly safety?

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The one piece firing pin overrides the design that prevents the gun from firing out of battery. Unless you have reloads not sized properly I don't see an issue. I never had an issue. I stil have one from a 1895 but never bothered to put it in an of my Marlin levers since I sold that one.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I re-read your original post about the problem and gu position. The rear section of the two piece firing pin drops down out of alignment with the channel when the gun is opened. It would seem that it is not being pushed back in alignment when action is closed. Due to wear of maybe something under the spring in the that pushes down on the rear section of firing pin in the bolt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGJcPVSHOAw

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks for that video. I think it may be something in the lever that isn't allowing it to lock up and place the firing pin in the correct spot when its pointed up. I'll post here when I figure it out..

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
My Texan suffered from an occasional misfire. I took the bolt apart and cleaned the internal parts to remove any residual oil and dried carbon. Problem solved. You should hear the FP slide as you rotate the bolt up and down.

Shoot Safe,
Mike
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My 336rc 30/30 wouldn't consistently fire Remington or winchester factory loads nor reloads. Tried all the usual fixes and nothing worked. Then I tried federal factory loads. Went through the whole box and no problems. Then tried federal brass and primers and no misfires after 15 rounds. Hope

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Clean the bolt/firing pin, best thing i found is blow it out with compressed air from my air compressor quick and it works to get
oil and crud out esp. before it gets cold out. Shouldn't have to worry about which brand of primer you use. If you do it's time for a cleaning.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Unfortunately you cannot et a new hammer spring right now.
I have found that if you reload, the Fed 210 primer is softer than others. Win LR is good, but Rem and CCI are hard.

Yup, I had FTF's with CCI 200's in my 336 and Guide Gun. I switched to Federal 210's and no more problems.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you have a hammer spur, take it off and try shooting without it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it is too weak to set off a primer, I think it has to be something in the action.
How old, how long have you owned it?
How much has it been shot?
Have you already disassembled and cleaned the action.
How far does the firing pin stick out through the face?

Question is whether it is spring force vs pin travel.

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I'm late to this discussion, but assuming you cleaned out the firing pin channel and the problem persists, get the headspace checked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

632 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,315
Posts18,449,250
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.